Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you stand politically and do you agree with the courts decision?
Liberal - no death penalty for raping a child 25 23.58%
Liberal - pro death penalty for raping a child 19 17.92%
Conservative - no death penalty for raping a child 16 15.09%
Conservative - pro death penalty for raping a child. 46 43.40%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 07:43 PM

439 posts, read 1,232,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I think people are overwhelmed by all the horrifying things that go on in the world that they can't even begin to address all of them.
If we got rid of a few of the people doing these horrible things it would be so bad. I have no problem killing some one that does something wrong on a level where it justifies their demise

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I cannot understand someone wanting someone else to die. And I don't mean just a brief fantasy that runs through a person's head in anger but doesn't represent any actions that he or she would ever follow through with--I mean honestly wanting someone to die. My brain can't even begin to comprehend that. Just my thoughts on that .
Thats where we differ. To me Human life is a good thing but just being alive isnt enough, this girl has to live with this for the rest of her life, who knows how it will effect her. Killing this man and those like him is the right thing to do. If you cant stomach it then I can, because if they are dead they are no longer a threat to my daughter.

A month or two ago we had a report of some guy in a van asking a little boy on our block if he wanted to take a ride. My daughter may be 7 months old but that doesnt matter, it's a SCARY thought. Him and anyone like him better watch out because one thanks to the Army i'm a great shot, and two I will make sure you are alive when I get to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 07:43 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,336 times
creme--in reference to the last post...you think that's a "wrong" assessment of many people's reactions? I don't think it is. I think that's how a lot of people react because they think they're powerless or, as you said, they don't care enough, and so they do nothing at all.

I'm not arguing with your points in the last post you made...but again, I don't know the solutions to the problems. And you've touched on quite a bit there--it's difficult for one not to feel overwhelmed pondering all that's wrong. In a sense I can't blame people--those who are just trying to get through the day.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:53 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
creme--in reference to the last post...you think that's a "wrong" assessment of many people's reactions? I don't think it is. I think that's how a lot of people react because they think they're powerless or, as you said, they don't care enough, and so they do nothing at all.
noah...I think it is absolutely a valid assessment...but, what I meant was...it's an excuse, an easy way to shrug off the situation..and go about our daily routines, let someone else deal with it, yanno?

Quote:
I'm not arguing with your points in the last post you made...but again, I don't know the solutions to the problems. And you've touched on quite a bit there--it's difficult for one not to feel overwhelmed pondering all that's wrong. In a sense I can't blame people--those who are just trying to get through the day
yeah, I understand what your saying, but honestly..it would be easy to start fixing, one step at a time, one day at a time...we haven't had honest polliticans run for a long long time...and when they do...they are quickly kicked out by some scandal..we're no longer in control of our own country any longer, they are...I really don't think these problems are so hard to fix...but they sure would like you to believe they are...

Look at Clinton...he wasn't a fav of mine...but he was a road scholar...brilliant man...and guess what...we were out of debt when he left office...I don't think any other president was able to do that? And again...I really didn't care for a lot of other things he did...but he did get us out of debt...the next pres, is going to be in big trouble...it will take years and a mighty intelligent president to kick start things again. And quit frankly, I don't think either candidate is going to get us out of this mess...I think, the country is run by crooked politicians and huge corporations...

Yanno, when I was little, my foster dad was outfront working on the house...I was walking down the street to the house...and he was so mad...and he didn't get mad easily...and he started ranting and raving about how someday this country will sell out it's soul...how people will no longer be able to think rationally any longer...and the politicians will overrun this country into the ground, all in the name of the dollar bill...well, it happened. He was ahead of his time and very insightful...

sorry to get off topic...but, all these problems are connected...I'm wondering if you can see that...the effects of the trickle down effect...and when we abandon our fellow man and become concerned about only us...shhhesh, what a mess derives from it.

Its a lack of education...what I mean by that is moral education along with good solid researching things for ourselves...asking questions...and demanding answers...not "I HAVE A PLAN" WHAT PLAN...OUTLINE WHAT YOUR GOING TO DO...is what we should demand these candidates to be accountable for.

I mean, do your really think, the President has control over big corporations, and he's going to create jobs while all the corporations are outsoucing...and people believe this stuff...

Why hasn't anyone of those candidates been asked what is going to be done about the crime in this country.

It's always, "What are you going to do for me?"

Old 06-25-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonredsock5 View Post
If we got rid of a few of the people doing these horrible things it would be so bad. I have no problem killing some one that does something wrong on a level where it justifies their demise

Thats where we differ. To me Human life is a good thing but just being alive isnt enough, this girl has to live with this for the rest of her life, who knows how it will effect her. Killing this man and those like him is the right thing to do. If you cant stomach it then I can, because if they are dead they are no longer a threat to my daughter.

A month or two ago we had a report of some guy in a van asking a little boy on our block if he wanted to take a ride. My daughter may be 7 months old but that doesnt matter, it's a SCARY thought. Him and anyone like him better watch out because one thanks to the Army i'm a great shot, and two I will make sure you are alive when I get to you.
Boy, I wish more people felt like you do...not that taking the law into their own hands is right, but they have certainly taken the law out of our hands, haven't they.

I think, honestly, if someone would have hurt my son...God...I'd have lost it and gone after them....and I'm a woman...but, I know, I'd have lost it...

Somehow, someway, we've gotta take our country back...we've got to demand harsher laws, and more prisions...otherwise, there are no answers...get these guys off the streets, and/or, buy an island, and put em on there to kill each other...but we've got to clean up our streets and make em safe again...if we don't, then what we've done is left a problem for our kids to clean up, if they can. Very sad...

Gangs are just as bad...I don't believe people have any idea how dangerous they are becoming, but that is another thread...but they rape, pillage, steal, kill...

Old 06-25-2008, 10:04 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,563 times
I didn't want to burden my evening by reading 144 posts, but I'm going to throw in my two cents because this issue actually affects me.

Regarding the death penalty, I sit on the fence. I can see both sides. If I were to allow its use, I would employ it only for situations where the criminal either refuses to change his/her ways or is unresponsive to therapy. They would have had to been convicted of committing a violent crime or one where people were damaged irreparably. This means white collar criminals would not be immune.

Why does this issue affect me? Because I was raped as a child. I still know the person who committed this over 40 years ago. Not a day goes by without a reminder of the damage, the years lost, the confusion, the anger. But even this close to the issue, I can't argue definitively that a child rapist should be put to death. Everything serves a purpose in this crazy upside world. Justice may be better left to someone or something higher up, someone who can see much farther backwards and forwards than we can.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:35 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
The fact that she is physically alive does not negate the fact that a part of her was "killed." She is no longer the person she was before the assault. Unless YOU have been in that situation, you cannot fathom the true damage that has been done.

How can you say it's bullsh*t? Having to relive the event over and over and over again is sheer torture! This is not something a person gets over in days, weeks, months, sometimes even years! This type of assault has a long-lasting effect.

When an animal rapes a child, capital punishment IS proportional. This is a CHILD, not an adult, not someone who can defend herself/himself. Someone with the capacity to rape a baby does not deserve to live and should be put out of his and everyone else's misery. What redeeming quality would someone like this have to justify keeping him alive?! None! Absolutely none!
Traumatic, yes. You will not hear me claim otherwise, but it is not proportional.

You can claim that it is all you want, but objectively speaking, murder is far worse than rape.

Here's a little thought experiment: If you had the choice between being sexually assaulted or murdered, which would you choose? Keep in mind that I'm only talking about a single event, not being a sex slave or being repeatedly gang sodomized or whatever, just a one time incident versus being murdered. Which would you choose? Note that I am not saying it is pleasant or non-traumatic, but if you had the choice of living through a horrible, painful, and traumatic event or you know, being dead for eternity, what would you pick?

Old 06-26-2008, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Traumatic, yes. You will not hear me claim otherwise, but it is not proportional.

You can claim that it is all you want, but objectively speaking, murder is far worse than rape.

Here's a little thought experiment: If you had the choice between being sexually assaulted or murdered, which would you choose? Keep in mind that I'm only talking about a single event, not being a sex slave or being repeatedly gang sodomized or whatever, just a one time incident versus being murdered. Which would you choose? Note that I am not saying it is pleasant or non-traumatic, but if you had the choice of living through a horrible, painful, and traumatic event or you know, being dead for eternity, what would you pick?

I can answer that...if someone would ever try to touch me like that again...they'd have to kill me first...and I'm not kidding...I will never allow that again...

and, not meaning any insult, but you can claim it all you want...but unless you've been molested...how could you know?

I'd rather be dead!

Old 06-26-2008, 02:32 AM

Quote:
mhouse2001Regarding the death penalty, I sit on the fence. I can see both sides. If I were to allow its use, I would employ it only for situations where the criminal either refuses to change his/her ways or is unresponsive to therapy. They would have had to been convicted of committing a violent crime or one where people were damaged irreparably. This means white collar criminals would not be immune.
The percentage of convicted child molesters that have been rehabilitated Mhouse is 1%. They've tried it. It doesn't work.

Have you known personally anyone else besides yourself who has been raped? In all sincerity...some do not handle it as well as others...so damaged irreparable becomes a very tight line....

I admire your honestly...and your opinion

Creme

Old 06-26-2008, 02:55 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StarRanch View Post
The Supreme Court on Wednesday struck down a law that allows the execution of people convicted of a raping a child.
Court rejects death penalty for raping children - Yahoo! News (broken link)

I'm shocked, this would not sit well in Texas that's for certain.
It would have cut john wayne gacy's career down significantly. He was convicted of child molestation prior to his killing sprees. Food for thought.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:53 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,870,423 times
I am amazed from following this thread by how some people think. I'm usually very emotional and one to think of others' feelings when making decisions. However, I draw the line when it comes to stuff like this. Children cannot defend themselves and it's now obvious that the system is not going to protect them. What are we to do? Building more prisons and working on the self esteem of these monsters are not going to do anything but take more tax money and give it to the lowest common denominators we have in this country. Until the US makes prison a punishment and not like Club med (3 squares and snacks, libraries, free education, gyms, etc.), there is no incentive to not go back. And no, I've never been to prison and I'm sure some of them are rough but guess what? I DON'T CARE! That's the way it should be! It's a punishment! The people sent to maximum security prisons are not the ones committing drug offenses. They are the rapists, murderers, etc and they don't deserve my compassions b/c they had none for their victims. I honestly cannot understand people who feel compassion for people who commit these types of crimes and have no remorse. How can you possibly feel anything for them? It's just beyond my grasp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies