Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 03:08 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123cop View Post
I haven't been a member of this site long but this one takes the cake.
Get use to "it"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 03:09 PM

564 posts, read 815,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
There should be no limit to the amount one can earn -

If one works hard, and has the ability to earn more - more power to them.

250,000 is not, repeat NOT rich -
Great post.. more power to them. America needs more creative hard working people. Being rich is just a byproduct of success. Not everytime but often. It's not money we chase.. it's that battle within to be the best.. money is a byproduct. Without it, we lose our incentive.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:16 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:
I haven't been a member of this site long but this one takes the cake.

Let's poll America...

Your boss walks in your office and says "I just reduced your pay by %50" how many of you would keep working there?
unfortunately given the economy some may actually be facing that situation because there might not be another place to get hired to and they may see it better to have some money then no money coming in.

I have heard recently some people having their hours cut,which basically is a paycut anyway.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:22 PM

lionking,

I have a family member who is a manager with the local newspaper here. He has paper routes that pay $400/week that he can't fill. There are plenty and plenty of jobs.. people are LAZY.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
lionking,

I have a family member who is a manager with the local newspaper here. He has paper routes that pay $400/week that he can't fill. There are plenty and plenty of jobs.. people are LAZY.
I'm not saying people can't adapt but depending on the field some people are having a tough time and in some cases upper management is toughening down on employees and not hiring new ones.

If you work for Chevy,Ford as a mechanic your hours are probably hurting and if you sell them you probably are not doing great commission yet management still expects profit,because management has to show profit to a owner.

If you are a rep for a tool company that sells to Homedepot and sales are down upper management is still going to expect profit less they loose their job by being fired.

To loose your job and benefits after being there 10 years is not something people want.Will they deliver papers if they have to probably but doubt they'll make what they were or even have insurance after that.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:35 PM

Our economy is changing. You have to evolve or you get passed up. It's tough but that is life. That is why the US has been so great over the past 2 centuries.. we have been flexible and evolved. I'm just terrified about our future with the quality of public schools in this country.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:58 PM

539 posts, read 1,804,520 times
Yeah, yeah...the schools suck, so does the economy and the politicians. How many people actually believe what the candidates say? How many candidates actually believe what they're saying?
The bottom line is that we are responsible for ourselves and our situation has less to do with our sucess than does how we adapt and push past our limitations.
123cop - The newspaper job is rough. When I was a kid, I split a route with another kid - so that we wouldn't have to get up at 3:30 every morning to wrap and throw papers. That is a seven day a week job. Kids can't get jobs mowing yards, babysitting or throwing papers anymore - adults have now taken these jobs.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:18 PM

Our economy might be changing,and maybe people have to adapt or get passed up but let me throw some thoughts and scenerios out here...........

America is a great nation,it is a land where a person despite being a blacksmith's son can rise above and doesn't have to be a next generation blacksmith just because his family was.There once was a time when your place in life was dtermined by your family status be it ethnic or financial.

Now if America is great because of freewill then we probably agree with freewill comes responsibility.Most Americans say things like serve your country,be proud to be American,have faith and goodwill.Shouldn't pride in America,faith and goodwill translate to practices of profit also?For instance......

Acme company has been grossing 500k a month for the last 2 years.Due to a economic downturn gross profit has reduced to 300k per month.Upper management at the board meeting tells the CEO that profit is down despite advertising and service but they have come up with a revised payplan for certain employees and that also lays off some employees which saving the payout to them will recoupe the loss therefore upper management and the CEO will see no lose in their own pay.

Now we have a situation where lose of jobs is effecting people lives which ultimately hurts America in general but where the upper have managed to save their own life skin with no lose of comfort to them.If upper management and the CEO would be willing to take some of the hit also it might spare some of the others from unemployment even if the other employees still take some of the hit.

What if upper management says to the CEO we can hire guest workers for 20k a year and use them in place of our employees who make 50k a year,the guest workers will probably bring our service and sales down some but overall the savings in wages will bring our end profit up?This hurts America overall in terms of peoples lives except the upper management.While they are free to do this and it's their company is this patriotic and is profit more important than maintaining a healthy stable America that they are suppose to love and be proud of?

The shareholders won't care what this company did to increase profit, all they care is that there is profit and many of them are probably international anyway with no sense of goodwill or ethics to their country.

What I saying is Im all for profit,I don't want to cap profit but a sense of patriotism and duty extends to more than waving a flag,people can be in a situation where they have people's lives in their hand and profit for themselves even at the expense of their country is not what I consider being a good citizen.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:28 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,645,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
There should be no limit to the amount one can earn -

If one works hard, and has the ability to earn more - more power to them.

250,000 is not, repeat NOT rich -
I have no problem with people making whatever money they can. But trust me, to roughly 85% of the population of this country, 250,000 dollars a year is rich enough. When you live off of 60,000 dollars or less a year, that is a fortune. But I am sure to those who make that much it doesn't seem like enough. But that is because they try to live beyond their means and get into financial trouble. There is absolutely no reason a person shouldn't be living the high life when making that kind of money. Heck, I supported a 4 person family for 4 years making $8.50 an hour! So please excuse me if I don't feel your "250,000 a year ain't rich" statement is a little off balance. They may not be millionaires yet, but they are well on their way!

Old 06-26-2008, 05:33 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,108 times
$250K income for a business owner would be considered a lousy first year start.
After all the overhead and expenses are paid he might take home $30k after taxes.
So Obama wants to cut that take home another 50%. That would mean the new business owner would make around $15K to support his family. Isn't that below poverty level for a family of four ? Yeah, thats a great incentive to start your own business.
Thanks Obama for the "Hand Up" to the little guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies