Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 10:22 PM

242 posts, read 193,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Gay marriage gets brought into every thread on this forum. Some people think thats the most important issue in this country, on both sides. This isn't 2004. What effects 5% of the people at the most is nowhere near as important as something that effects 100% of the people. In 2008, we have MUCH bigger fish to fry.
It's 10%+.

At any rate, what you say is true... but I am worried about a repeat of what happened in 2004, when "moral values" became a prominent issue. I hope in this election cycle that voters focus on the major, paramount concerns and do not get sidetracked by wedge issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 10:24 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodixieforme View Post
It's 10%+.
Maybe if you only survey prisoners in the 1940s. I can't believe so many people still buy into the Kinsey report. Its a lot like Bush giving the skewed evidence to present his case for the war in Iraq. The Kinsey report makes gays look more numerous than they really are, so they don't care that its not the most accurate representation.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:25 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodixieforme View Post
That wasn't my point, and the issue is not "senseless" and unimportant. How can you be so insensitive?

However, I will concede that it's not a pressing issue to the majority of people, since it doesn't affect them.

Sorry to have misinterpreted your point.

Sorry, but compared to energy security and its potential effects, marriage of any sorts is trivial.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:28 PM

242 posts, read 193,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Maybe if you only survey prisoners in the 1940s. I can't believe so many people still buy into the Kinsey report. Its a lot like Bush giving the skewed evidence to present his case for the war in Iraq. The Kinsey report makes gays look more numerous than they really are, so they don't care that its not the most accurate representation.
Well, I would posit there are more than that. But, that's not the point of this thread. It is about oil.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:33 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Yea...all those oil spills have nothing to do with drilling oil.
What oil spills? I havent heard about them recently.. Ooh, another posting without facts.. I forgot who it was that posted..

Old 06-27-2008, 09:14 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,100,992 times
Even better, its time for us to create nice manufacturing jobs for solar panels, so we can provide more natural energy to our homes. Its time for us to do the same with wind power. Its time for us to start putting showers and locker rooms in workplaces so people can bike to work (no gas, and exercise, improved public health) Its time for people to stop buying overpowered, oversized cars where they very rarely use all of the space. Lots of people have learned to survive with less, you can too.

Expanding drilling to coastal areas will just ruin beaches and fishing, and will not provide any substantial relief to consumers. It will just provide additional fuel for big oil to make more profits, and more air pollutants for our kids to breathe and get asthma.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:31 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
You don't just "create" manufacturing jobs, there has to be a demand for the product.

Showers and locker rooms do no good when the damn company is 10, 20 or more miles away. And to expect anyone to rely on stability in employment is ridiculous. Sure they can uproot and move (if they can afford it) within 5 miles of their workplace, but who says they will work there forever? Or even a year? They could do the move and be unemployed again and find employment yet again but 25 miles away.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:37 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,100,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
You don't just "create" manufacturing jobs, there has to be a demand for the product.

Showers and locker rooms do no good when the damn company is 10, 20 or more miles away. And to expect anyone to rely on stability in employment is ridiculous. Sure they can uproot and move (if they can afford it) within 5 miles of their workplace, but who says they will work there forever? Or even a year? They could do the move and be unemployed again and find employment yet again but 25 miles away.
Manufacturing jobs could be created if the product was more affordable so a larger number of consumers would purchase it. At the moment I know of no way to do that other than providing large subsidies to these companies so the cost to the consumer can be reduced. Yes there are tax credits, but a low income, yet conscious consumer can't work with tax credits. They need the price reduced not some of the money back in 6 months. Creating some manufacturing jobs would also be good economic stimulus, just think about it, American money buying American built products instead of just sending our money overseas.

10-20 miles away would not be difficult if cities were more bike friendly. 10 miles for someone in at least decent shape is only about 40 minutes. the problem is that lights add up so much more time as well as inconsiderate drivers.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:03 AM

34 posts, read 47,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Manufacturing jobs could be created if the product was more affordable so a larger number of consumers would purchase it. At the moment I know of no way to do that other than providing large subsidies to these companies so the cost to the consumer can be reduced. Yes there are tax credits, but a low income, yet conscious consumer can't work with tax credits. They need the price reduced not some of the money back in 6 months. Creating some manufacturing jobs would also be good economic stimulus, just think about it, American money buying American built products instead of just sending our money overseas.
Subsidizing any industry means that that particular industry is uncompetitive in an open and free market. By adding subsidies, you are not helping the consumer, since the money needed to manufacture the product remains the same, and, although payment at the store may be lower, the overall cost stays the same, with the difference made up in tax dollars.

Any product that is "too expensive" in a free market simply means that there isn't enough, or no supply currently available. More importantly, however, it means that there is an alternative to the product that isn't "too expensive" and thus prevents the new product from developing.

In the case of energy, the cost per unit of energy is still lower with fossil-based fuels than it is for other sources of energy. However, this disparity is slowly eroding, and at some point the alternative sources will not be "too expensive" compared to fossil fuels (assuming we continue going in this price direction).

Old 06-27-2008, 10:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Assuming energy prices will increase seems to be a pretty safe bet. We need to remove subsides in the existing energy/transportation market and switch them to alternates like nuclear electricity, solar and geothermal heat and rail transport. Subsidizing domestic industry to allow them to develop the mass production processes needed to bring eventual prices down is needed. Protecting the industries against foreign advantages in pay, safety and environmental pollution will also be required. This only serves to level the playing field and make the market work.
We also need improved access to mass transit. I am fortunate to live within 4 miles of a park & ride so I can take a bus to work. We already have miniscule shower facilities at my workplace but even if I could ride to work I would not because riding a bicycle in Boston traffic requires more courage or foolhardiness than I can muster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies