Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2008, 11:22 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
BS never an enforced law and not one I'm aware of even existing. But if true something repealed 100 years ago makes my point.
I posted a link to a wikipedia article on it, and I quoted the law itself (Militia Act of 1792). And it proves my point, everyone capable was the militia, and everyone was expected to individually own firearms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 11:24 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
And among the highest suicide rates. QED.
No, VT doesn't. State's suicide rate eighth-highest - The Denver Post

Old 06-29-2008, 11:27 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The data are from the CDC and the National Center for Health Statistics. The work of those outright liars is reprised in this and several other relevant aspects at the site below, which is run by another bunch of outright liars at the University of Utah School of Medicine...

Statistics, Gun Control Issues, and Safety
Hmmm, this from the opening in your link,
Quote:
In the U.S. for 2001, there were 29,573 deaths from firearms,
Hardly hundreds of thousands. Given that theres 300 million of us I feel fine with less than 30,000 deaths, especially when I know that most had NOTHING to do with legal gun owners, many were gangs killing each other, many were justified & many were suicides.

Quote:
No agenda here other than that of encouraging a reasoned debate of current public policy issues. That 'reasoned' part is proving a somewhat difficult one with respect to some of you...
Its not about policy issues. Its about what is & what is not illegal. If policy is forbidden by the constitution it is illegal. As Scalia also noted, if we have a constitution & we recognize some things as rights then some policy options are not available.

Its not easy to reason with someone thats not dealing with reality.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:27 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
So what? You would rather live in a place where people are killed by criminals at an alarmingly high rate than one where people kill themselves more than somewhere else? You are very irrational.
Dead people are dead people. Three times as many people die when you have loaded guns in the home. It's really a simple concept.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:31 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,025 times
"Oh, June! - I’m home, dear."
"In here Ward, I’m fixing dinner."
"Where’s the Beaver?"
"He’s at the police station. He shot Eddie Haskell for calling him a ‘punk.’"
"Good! I’m glad to see that he’s standing up for himself."
"Yes, his life has really turned around since we got him the Glock pistol for his birthday."
"It’s his constitutional right to keep and bear arms."
"And Wally has taken his Uzi submachine gun to school for show and tell."
"Great! That boy is really growing up to be just like his dad."
"That’s right, Ward."

Old 06-29-2008, 11:36 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
"Where’s the Beaver?"
"Yes, his life has really turned around since we got him the Glock pistol for his birthday."
"That’s right, Ward."
Wendell, if those are the kind of imaginary people you're judging the rest of us by, I can see why you feel the way you do, and suggest a competent therapist.

Yeah, yeah, we all know you're an elephant hunter and own a $40,000 gun and are a champion for gun rights.

Yet when it suits you, you agree with banning handguns for whatever reason.

This post is just a troll post intended to tick people off.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:02 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Dead people are dead people. Three times as many people die when you have loaded guns in the home. It's really a simple concept.
Guess what Jack? Guns are here to stay.

More and more people have, or will have, firearms in the District in short order. I would hazard a guess that there are far more firearms in peoples homes in the District today than just a couple of days ago -

Firearms are not going away - regardless of all your blather.

Get used to it Jack.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:03 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
"Where’s the Beaver?"
"That’s right, Ward."
Non Sequitur

Old 06-29-2008, 12:15 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times
I do not believe the founding fathers ever envisioned the populous of the country becoming as stupid and completely lacking in common sense as they have become. I am sure they believed that the second amendment was clear in language and intent. You can not be a truly free people without the means to protect yourself, and to rise up against a corrupt government, period.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:29 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:

Data can be manipulated conveniently eh? In my case 3 times zero, equals zero.
Thats like saying you are dozens of times more likely to get shot unarmed than when armed. Its meaningless if you look at how its compiled.

If you have a gun more often than not the BG turns tail, if he doesn't more often than not he loses. Simple concept. Difference is my concept is proven out hundreds of times a year, yours,,,,, just isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies