Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 06:30 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,388,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Well, how about the right to assemble, for one?

After the cops come in with the tear gas, or the National Guard shoots you to death, it's a little late to tell them that you have a RIGHT to assemble.
I attend assembly's all the time & never been shot at or gassed. You are absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 01:47 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,547,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I attend assembly's all the time & never been shot at or gassed. You are absurd.
And I've seen footage of places like Kent State. Do you think that the four people that are dead were able to say, "Hey, I've got a RIGHT to assemble!"? You see other "assemblies" where the police are there in riot gear shooting tear gas.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I do.

Not as long as I choose to live in society. Its not really outside interference anyway as long as I can participate in the legislative process by voteing & making myself heard. You seem to have trouble grasping it but we all collectively subject ourselves to government, laws, ordinances & rules in order to live better, healthier, safer lives. The trouble comes when the gov't loses track of the fact that its not here to dictate, but to respond & respond within limitations, that carry the weight oflaw, put in place to preserve some very basic freedoms.
In the anarcistic world you seem to yearn for you would have no rights.
If you really want to live free from all interference then buy a ticket out of the US & try to find such a place. Northern Alaska, the Jungles of South America maybe.
But its probably better for you to admit that you wont survive, couldn't make it without society holding your hand & just live out your fantasy inside your head.
I have the same rights you do. The ones you can personally defend.

If the government told you that you could not have guns, and starting sending troops and tanks onto your property, your rifles and handguns aren't going to help you much.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
I have the same rights you do. The ones you can personally defend.

If the government told you that you could not have guns, and starting sending troops and tanks onto your property, your rifles and handguns aren't going to help you much.
Whats your point?
You say, repeatedly that you dont subscribe to societies rules, yet you seek refuge in its rights?

Old 09-24-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
And I've seen footage of places like Kent State. Do you think that the four people that are dead were able to say, "Hey, I've got a RIGHT to assemble!"? You see other "assemblies" where the police are there in riot gear shooting tear gas.

That was a tragedy to be sure & a good example why soldiers arent well suited for civilian issues. But thats about it.
We have a right to peaceable assembly. Thats not to say that right is never abused by either side or to say its never been supressed.

But the NG overreacting to a singularly tense assembly of protestors is not a law intended to render that right null & void.
Its more along the lines of what the Gov't did to Randy Weaver. A similar thing might be Congress passing a law that required backround checks before permitting folks to assemble or outlawing some assemblies it found particularly disturbing.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Whats your point?
You say, repeatedly that you dont subscribe to societies rules, yet you seek refuge in its rights?
No, I don't claim to HAVE rights "given" me by the government. The only rights I have are those I can PERSONALLY defend. You can't count on anyone else to defend your rights, pal.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
That was a tragedy to be sure & a good example why soldiers arent well suited for civilian issues. But thats about it.
We have a right to peaceable assembly. Thats not to say that right is never abused by either side or to say its never been supressed.

But the NG overreacting to a singularly tense assembly of protestors is not a law intended to render that right null & void.
Its more along the lines of what the Gov't did to Randy Weaver. A similar thing might be Congress passing a law that required backround checks before permitting folks to assemble or outlawing some assemblies it found particularly disturbing.
Which reminds of more local assemblies...where you actually have to apply for a PERMIT?

Old 09-25-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Which reminds of more local assemblies...where you actually have to apply for a PERMIT?
Are you complaining? It seems ironic since you are against other freedoms being protected.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
No, I don't claim to HAVE rights "given" me by the government. The only rights I have are those I can PERSONALLY defend. You can't count on anyone else to defend your rights, pal.

Again, whats your point?
I never said the Gov't gave you rights. They respect & theoretically protect rights but it doesn't grant them.

If the only rights you had were those you personally defended you would be dead or in jail. The rights you have were fought for generations ago by men who's shoes you cant begin to shine.
And I'm not your pal, not by a long shot.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Again, whats your point?
I never said the Gov't gave you rights. They respect & theoretically protect rights but it doesn't grant them.

If the only rights you had were those you personally defended you would be dead or in jail. The rights you have were fought for generations ago by men who's shoes you cant begin to shine.
And I'm not your pal, not by a long shot.
You're right, you're not my pal. I don't have or want pals, especially idiots like you. I make my own way through life, mister, without your help, or anyone else's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies