Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 07:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times

Advertisements

Imprison people for being the wrong color or political party and use them as slave labor. Wonderful idea but the Nazis figured it out 60 years ago. The reprehensible Chinese government still does this. We really do not need chain gangs.
Slavery is disgusting in any form. Allowing private companies to use prison labor to compete with the free market is stupid economics and poor policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 07:39 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
Actually I would prefer to bring manufacturing jobs home and let Americans do them. Let's put true capitalism to work and let companies have to compete for American talent. No- not prisoners but perhaps the millions of hardworking Americans who lost good manufacturing jobs to these anti-American treaties like NAFTA and "free" trade with China. For years, there were good paying manufacturing jobs in this country that people could retire from. How much have product's prices really gone down since these companies have gone to Mexico, South America and overseas? That is the biggest lie going that products are sooo much cheaper. They are now horrible quality, unsafe and the $$ saved goes to the company, ceo and others. I would rather spend a little more for a well made American product then have to buy two or three of the same crappy made foreign product and also have to worry about lead, etc.

However, I will tell you one area that I would have no problem using prisoners and it has actually been done in states like Colorado-on farms. Farmers were saying that they did not have enough help. I would much rather have prisoners do it than illegal aliens. The article I read was a minimum risk security prison of women. The women had a CHOICE to stay and work in the prison or go to the farm. They worked on the farm the entire season and many of them said that for the first time in their lives they had pride in doing a job. Why not call these farmers out? I personally don't believe in the "jobs Americans won't do " garbage. But with prisoners-we US tax payers are already paying their medical and other expenses so there would not be the taxing on hospitals, social services, etc. of illegals.

Nicolem

Old 06-30-2008, 07:50 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
why don't we do this? so many complain about jobs we shipped overseas, and we have millions of people lifting weights and playing basketball in our prisons. I guarantee you that wal mart would pay to have factories built in prisons. that way, we have american made products that are inexpensive. prisoners could learn a skill they could use on the outside. think of how low prices would be with FREE labor as opposed to cheap labor. prisoners don't like to work for free? good, then they won't want to come back. last time I checked, these people were supposed to be repaying a debt to society, not creating debt for a society.
They actually do this. We have tons of prisoners doing telemarketing jobs for example. The problem is that we get politicians involved because people who want cheap labor start to pay off the politicians so that their factories can be put inside the prison, rather then their competitors.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:24 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
there's always one in every bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Imprison people for being the wrong color or political party and use them as slave labor. Wonderful idea but the Nazis figured it out 60 years ago. The reprehensible Chinese government still does this. We really do not need chain gangs.
Slavery is disgusting in any form. Allowing private companies to use prison labor to compete with the free market is stupid economics and poor policy.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:40 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Any savings created by using prison labor instead of "free market" labor should be collected by the government and remitted to the prisoner when their sentence is served. To allow the savings to go to the employer is unfair to the outside the prison labor and only drives down the wages of free people.
Yeah, there is always one, or more, in every group. I have interest in supporting employers by providing them with below cost labor.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:45 PM

nope. prisoners gave up all their rights when they violated the rights of another. no respect, no remorse. the last time I checked, we didn't arrest people for being a color, we arrest people for committing crime. the savings should be passed along to the consumer, not for more profit margin. how can we get them to agree with that? make the company sign a contract. but prisoners should be given the bare minimum to survive. they should not cost the tax payers any money, and by doing so, even incarcerated, they continue to take from the american people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Any savings created by using prison labor instead of "free market" labor should be collected by the government and remitted to the prisoner when their sentence is served. To allow the savings to go to the employer is unfair to the outside the prison labor and only drives down the wages of free people.
Yeah, there is always one, or more, in every group. I have interest in supporting employers by providing them with below cost labor.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:53 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
Quote:
nope. prisoners gave up all their rights when they violated the rights of another. no respect, no remorse. the last time I checked, we didn't arrest people for being a color, we arrest people for committing crime. the savings should be passed along to the consumer, not for more profit margin. how can we get them to agree with that? make the company sign a contract. but prisoners should be given the bare minimum to survive. they should not cost the tax payers any money, and by doing so, even incarcerated, they continue to take from the american people.
YES!!!! Clasp these bastards in irons and oil up the bullwhip if necessary...

"just takin' it off here boss..." "gwan n' take it off naww"
"just drinkin it up here boss..." "gwan n' drink it up naww"
"just pickin' it up here boss..." "gwan n' pick it up naww"

Old 06-30-2008, 01:58 PM

I'm sorry, I don't remember saying anything about physically abusing people. I just want to put them to work. people who took from others when they were free should them have to give back to freemen while they are incarcerated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
YES!!!! Clasp these bastards in irons and oil up the bullwhip if necessary...

"just takin' it off here boss..." "gwan n' take it off naww"
"just drinkin it up here boss..." "gwan n' drink it up naww"
"just pickin' it up here boss..." "gwan n' pick it up naww"

Old 06-30-2008, 02:04 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't remember saying anything about physically abusing people.
No, thats my idea... but Ill restrict it to child molesters, rapists and murderers.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:08 PM

trust me, those type of prisoners already get abused by other inmates. look at jeff dahmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
No, thats my idea... but Ill restrict it to child molesters, rapists and murderers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies