Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 01:09 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,762,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Oh, and I suppose you think that a very young Israel just magically had all these superior weapons when they established their new country. The US is fighting for them anytime we get involved in conflicts with their enemies. We are their little guard dogs, going after perceived threats so that they can maintain this ridiculous ruse that they are God's chosen people. We have supplied them with weapons, money, and technology since their reformation. I'd say the US is definitely doing their fair share of helping and fighting for the Israelis.
Israel was primarily a French and British ally from its birth up until Nixon. Even the USSR wooed them. The US was more hesitant, not wanting to preturb the Arabs. Consequently, Israel used their armaments.

We have been arming them since the late 60s, as have the Germans and othes btw. We also sell arms to Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Morrocco and other Arab states. Anybody can buy arms- its what you do with them vis-a-vis motivation that matters.

So perhaps suspend the faux outrage and read a bit of history?

Old 06-30-2008, 01:20 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,442,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Really?

How have they protected our interests?
Though I don't agree 100% with it....read the Israel as Proxy.

The United States, Israel, and the Possible Attack on Iran

It's not what one would typically think about when thinking "protecting our interest"

Old 06-30-2008, 01:24 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,679,594 times
Ok so what put your weapons at each other hopefully they wont use them. After all if they can't coexist war will be their only answer. I say good luck and hopefully soon the united states will learn to stay clear of entangling alliances and stop arming isreal and the arabs.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:32 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Israel was primarily a French and British ally from its birth up until Nixon. Even the USSR wooed them. The US was more hesitant, not wanting to preturb the Arabs. Consequently, Israel used their armaments.

We have been arming them since the late 60s, as have the Germans and othes btw. We also sell arms to Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Morrocco and other Arab states. Anybody can buy arms- its what you do with them vis-a-vis motivation that matters.

So perhaps suspend the faux outrage and read a bit of history?
Sorry bud, but the history you read is not always the way history went down. I suggest you do a little more in depth reading on these matters before you start your next sermon. Maybe try reading some literature not approved by the US Government or the History Channel. And also false is the idea we were hesitant in our support. We were just covert in our support. As I said, don't worry about the horizons of my past reading experience. But I do suggest that you broaden yours. I have read the so called "real" history books. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth once you get hold of some of the real nasty truths "real" history has to offer.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Sorry bud, but the history you read is not always the way history went down. I suggest you do a little more in depth reading on these matters before you start your next sermon. Maybe try reading some literature not approved by the US Government or the History Channel. And also false is the idea we were hesitant in our support. We were just covert in our support. As I said, don't worry about the horizons of my past reading experience. But I do suggest that you broaden yours. I have read the so called "real" history books. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth once you get hold of some of the real nasty truths real history has to offer.
Of course. When revealed as a fraud, out comes the much hackneyed accusations and implications of brainwashing. Followed up with the stale boast of, "I know and you do not for I have read what Big Brother will not let you read." It would be good for a laugh were it not so obvious.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:48 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,791,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Though I don't agree 100% with it....read the Israel as Proxy.

The United States, Israel, and the Possible Attack on Iran

It's not what one would typically think about when thinking "protecting our interest"

Your article states that the Bush administration is telling Israel they need to take the lead for a change against Iran. I would certainly agree with that, should it ever get to that point.

I was wondering more about it historically. I read quite often about how invaluable Israel is as a strategic ally in the Middle East. I was wondering if there were any specific examples of this.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I was wondering more about it historically. I read quite often about how invaluable Israel is as a strategic ally in the Middle East. I was wondering if there were any specific examples of this.
I think Nixon and Reagan saw them as a good Cold War asset. If there had been a showdown with the Soviets in the Middle East, Israel would have made a nice launching pad.

Otherwise not much on the ole CV, but then again we are still allies with France for all the good that does. And what our alliances with Jordan and Egypt produce is beyond me.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:05 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,791,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I think Nixon and Reagan saw them as a good Cold War asset. If there had been a showdown with the Soviets in the Middle East, Israel would have made a nice launching pad.

Otherwise not much on the ole CV, but then again we are still allies with France for all the good that does. And what our alliances with Jordan and Egypt produce is beyond me.
True. Although we are not giving Jordan or France tens of billions of dollars either.

Seems like a very weak Return On Investment with Israel.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:08 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,315,511 times
Quote:
Your article states that the Bush administration is telling Israel they need to take the lead for a change against Iran. I would certainly agree with that, should it ever get to that point.

Try fifty years of uninterrupted petroleum flow and a divided and dispirited Islamic world.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
True. Although we are not giving Jordan or France tens of billions of dollars either.

Seems like a very weak Return On Investment with Israel.
Well let's be honest. We do not "give" Israel much of anything. We guarantee their loans and I believe they have never defaulted or welched. So the notion of ROI does not really apply.

On the other hand, we do give Jordan money and we gave France plenty in Marshall Plan money, although that was of course long ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.