Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 08:41 AM

415 posts, read 610,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Is this a trick question?
Nope

Quote:
Smaller government, Lower taxes,free enterprise, private property rights, privatization,strong national defense, right to work, secure borders, English as our official language, pro business, pro family, pro gun, pro marriage, pro military, pro life! Thats my version of Conservatism, anyhow, in a nutshell, there is really only one thing that the federal government needs to do and that is our national defense, every thing else can be done privately or at the local level!
Is there a fundamental principle from which those principles are derived? In other words, what is there an essential essence of conservativeness?

Quote:
Smaller government
Is that a general rule to which there are exceptions, or is that an absolute that applies in all cases?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 08:46 AM

717 posts, read 773,633 times
[/quote] Smaller government, Lower taxes,free enterprise, private property rights, privatization,strong national defense, right to work, secure borders, English as our official language, pro business, pro family, pro gun, pro marriage, pro military, pro life! Thats my version of Conservatism, anyhow, in a nutshell, there is really only one thing that the federal government needs to do and that is our national defense, every thing else can be done privately or at the local level![/quote]

Its more like the federal Government should not even have to worry about all of those issues you stated. They should be left up to the state.
Except for National Defense.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGIANTS View Post
Quote:
Smaller government, Lower taxes,free enterprise, private property rights, privatization,strong national defense, right to work, secure borders, English as our official language, pro business, pro family, pro gun, pro marriage, pro military, pro life! Thats my version of Conservatism, anyhow, in a nutshell, there is really only one thing that the federal government needs to do and that is our national defense, every thing else can be done privately or at the local level!
those issues...should be left up to the state. Except for National Defense.
Why do you say that?

Old 07-03-2008, 11:43 AM

717 posts, read 773,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashTheCash View Post
Why do you say that?
Efficiency in our federal government is basically non existant. Ever hear of the term "red tape"? Red tape prevents progress from taking place. The less red tape the more progress will be made. People do not need politicians to tell us what are the right and wrong ways to go about our lives.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:07 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
How is one pro business AND pro family? And I note you value property rights more than personal rights, except the right to make money.

Right to work is a euphemism for "anti worker and anti union", speak plainly.

So speaking of money under this conservative philosophy of yours are you wealthy? I want to know if you're one of those who really benefit by conservatism or simply one of their servants, one who holds their coats.
Sorry, I should have known, that you would not be able to grasp that concept, and from the sounds of it you have quite a few years of union indoctrination so I wont waste my time trying to help you understand, except to say, if it were not for business no family would have jobs, unless of course they all worked for the government, which happens to be the only place union's are growing these day's! Hmmmm. Ok, I will speak plainly, I am ABSOLUTELY 100% ANTI UNION!!! But only an idiot or union member would think an employer is anti worker! My net worth has nothing to do with my political ideology,it has been consistent, no matter what my occupation or position. Again something I am sure you cannot get your mind around, the union mentality being what it is, the what is in it for ME, what have you done for ME lately, somebody else is getting more than ME, everyone owes ME! I realize it is impossible for you to look at thing's with out asking, how does it benefit ME! That is why you are a liberal and not a conservative!

Old 07-03-2008, 07:50 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGIANTS View Post
Efficiency in our federal government is basically non existant. Ever hear of the term "red tape"? Red tape prevents progress from taking place. The less red tape the more progress will be made. People do not need politicians to tell us what are the right and wrong ways to go about our lives.

No, you conservatives want business to tell us how to go about our lives.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:02 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Sorry, I should have known, that you would not be able to grasp that concept, and from the sounds of it you have quite a few years of union indoctrination so I wont waste my time trying to help you understand, except to say, if it were not for business no family would have jobs, unless of course they all worked for the government, which happens to be the only place union's are growing these day's! Hmmmm. Ok, I will speak plainly, I am ABSOLUTELY 100% ANTI UNION!!! But only an idiot or union member would think an employer is anti worker! My net worth has nothing to do with my political ideology,it has been consistent, no matter what my occupation or position. Again something I am sure you cannot get your mind around, the union mentality being what it is, the what is in it for ME, what have you done for ME lately, somebody else is getting more than ME, everyone owes ME! I realize it is impossible for you to look at thing's with out asking, how does it benefit ME! That is why you are a liberal and not a conservative!

I get my mind around plenty of things Silas. Like the fact that apologists for business and the wealthy despise people with the backbone to stand together and defy the boss because it makes their own lack of courage stand out all the more. You talk of defiance but all you do is spit words against a government which takes little notice of you, bold but hollow words into a void are all you offer.

I however have offered defiance to my employers, people that could effect my real day to day life. It takes more boldness to stand up to business in REAL LIFE than to vomit insults on a website and shout defienace IN THE NAME OF THE POWERFUL, oh, how courageous, to take the part of the powerful, where can we find men so brave as to stand up for wealth and position?

Old 07-03-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashTheCash View Post
Is there a fundamental principle from which those principles are derived? In other words, what is there an essential essence of conservativeness?
Was my question to difficult for you?

Old 07-03-2008, 09:02 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I get my mind around plenty of things Silas. Like the fact that apologists for business and the wealthy despise people with the backbone to stand together and defy the boss because it makes their own lack of courage stand out all the more. You talk of defiance but all you do is spit words against a government which takes little notice of you, bold but hollow words into a void are all you offer.

I however have offered defiance to my employers, people that could effect my real day to day life. It takes more boldness to stand up to business in REAL LIFE than to vomit insults on a website and shout defienace IN THE NAME OF THE POWERFUL, oh, how courageous, to take the part of the powerful, where can we find men so brave as to stand up for wealth and position?
What page from your union handbook is that from? Please, you are so blinded by your dogmatic union nonsense, that you cant even begin to see how silly you sound. What pride, you stood up to your boss, wow! you and how many of you're brotherhood. That is some courage. now listen up tommyboy, I have been fired and quit more jobs than I can remember, been stranded on the opposite coast, after helping my boss off the ground by his throat. That doesnt make me any braver or smarter than you are, but somehow I was able to do it all by myself with out the help of a bunch of whining, prima donna, greedy, slackers, organized together in a so called brotherhood! I dont know who the heck the powerful are that you keep alluding to, I suspect you dont either. But if you really want to know what courage is, try going out and starting up a business from scratch, be that guy that has to lay his nut's up on the table and pay the overhead, fight for the sales and the insurance and taxes and zoning and regulation and osha, all the while you are actually trying to make a profit while dealing with guy's like YOU!! Look the country needs good hard workers, guy's that have to have security, & need to know that they are getting their 15 minute break at the right time and how many week's vacation, what the benefit package is and their employer is providing the right toilet paper etc.etc... we need those guy's, but the problem is when the union's go out and preach class war fare to those guy's like you and teach you to hate their employer, because they dont have the gut's to go out and risk everything to create the job's like he does!

Last edited by silas777; 07-03-2008 at 09:50 PM..

Old 07-03-2008, 09:25 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Right to work is a euphemism for "anti worker and anti union", speak plainly.
I don't see a problem with people having the right to choose whether or not to join a group, especially if they're forced to pay dues for it.

I for one hate the idea of being forced, socially or otherwise, to join a group of people who I don't agree with, and who take my money to fund causes I don't agree with, as a condition of employment. That is simply unfair. Allowing workers the choice to opt out of a union is not anti union--unless they choose not to join. And if they don't want to join, oh well. I guess the union should do a better job marketing themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies