Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 01:46 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Atheists really need to get a life if they are really getting so worked up over 'In God We Trust' on money. You aren't going to change the fact that 90% of the American population believes in a god of some sort.

You wouldn't feel that way if it said "In Allah We Trust," or "In Vishnu We Trust." That's why it's wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
A rep point for you! If seeing "In God We Trust" is so distressing, maybe you could find a country to live in whose currency does not offend you.
That's not the point. The point is that keeping government and religion separate is the only thing that protects one from the other. This isn't a theocracy.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasetodesist View Post
I agree. I would also like to add that it reinforces the false message that religion and politics are one and the same. This may give comfort to those who believe in such an arrangement, but for those of us who do not, or who practice something other than a form of Christianity, it is contentious, offensive, and polarizing. The country is diverse; a uniform endorsement of religion on something administered by the government does nothing for that reality, and makes a mockery of the separation between Church and State.
Teddy Roosevelt wanted "In God We Trust" taken off coins and currency. Not because he was a screaming atheist, but because he thought it cheapened God to put his name on money.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Its not making you do anything. If you are so 100% sure that no diety exists, why are you so offended at even the mention of one? Shouldn't it be something you shrug off like santa claus or the easter bunny?
So it wouldn't bother you if your coins said "In Allah We Trust?" After all, if it's not your deity, why be offended?

It's real easy to shrug the whole thing off if it's your God on the currency.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
America's biggest problem is the crybaby idiots who really have nothing to complain about so make up crap. I lump things like this right in with gay marriage & other fanatics that want to twist society apart simply because they have some radical agenda.

People without faith sure seem a miserable lot.
The only agenda I see is from people who are so igonrant of their own nation's history, they can't understand WHY this is an important issue. Again, people wouldn't be so complacent about it if it weren't their God mentioned on the coins and currency.

Who's miserable? I'm not the one worried about having a God looking over my shoulder 24/7, like a big supernatural Santa Claus, seeing when I'm naughty and nice. I'm not the one busy condemning people to hell all the time.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:57 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post

Who's miserable? I'm not the one worried about having a God looking over my shoulder 24/7, like a big supernatural Santa Claus, seeing when I'm naughty and nice. I'm not the one busy condemning people to hell all the time.
I'm not worried, most people arent. Just a few disturbed people with nothing better to whine about.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately for you the country was founded by Christians. Fortunately for you Christians are unlike most every other religion & when they formed this country they did so with Religous freedom. It says in God we trust. Not Jesus, God. Could be any God, Muslims have a God, so do Jews. If you believe in no God then have a laugh at our expense & get on with your life. Lifes too short to be bitter over a few words on a piece of metal.

Not all religions have a god, and not all that do call that deity "God." It's a very specific reference. It's a blatant violation of the Separation Clause, and you wouldn't so easily blow it off if it were some other god being mentioned.

Some of the Founders were Christian. Some were deist. Many had open contempt for religion. They understood the dangers of mixing religion and government, and that's why they gave us a government that kept them separate from each other.

When Thomas Jefferson was working on Virginia's statute for religious freedom, there was a move to add an inclusion to Jesus in the bill. Jefferson fought it, and it was rejected. Why? Because the bill was "meant to comprehend, within the mantle of it's protection, the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and Mahometan, the Hindoo, and infidel of every denomination." If Jefferson fought the inclusion of Jesus in a document granting religious freedom, you can be 100% sure he'd also rail at including mottos for God on our coins and currency.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:02 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,005,618 times
Funny how they can put god's name on money and give churches tax exempt status hmmm....

Old 07-02-2008, 02:09 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
You wouldn't feel that way if it said "In Allah We Trust," ...
Just ask the Brits. They can't even have police dogs now, or piggy banks because they offend Muslims.

But they're gonna accommodate them.

Alas, that's another thread...

Old 07-02-2008, 02:10 PM

415 posts, read 610,878 times
Quote:
I'm not worried, most people arent. Just a few disturbed people with nothing better to whine about.
I agree with you. God shouldn't have total authority over religion.

Keep up the good work.

Sincerely,

Satan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies