Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 05:14 PM

415 posts, read 610,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I'm quoting here: "How does putting a few words on money give anyone authority over religion?"
Beats me, dude. However, I can tell you how it constitutes an assumption of civil authority over religion. Can you tell us how it doesn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 06:13 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Damn right. They want to cross-dress and pierce their uvula?

Fine.

I want God on my nickel.
Amen.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashTheCash View Post
Beats me, dude. However, I can tell you how it constitutes an assumption of civil authority over religion. Can you tell us how it doesn't?
Tell us how it does. I honestly dont see religions obeying Washington simply because of some words on money. Heck of a trick if it works.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:26 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
No, but it is blessed by said "man in the sky", and it does not harm to acknowledge that.

Really! If that were the case, I'd think the government would be run a WHOLE lot better and more ethically than it is. Obviously God does NOT have any power in govt. decisions.

Why does it irk you that our money says "we" trust in God? Are you afraid people will call you a hypocrite just because you use money that says you DO trust in God? I doubt that'll be an issue.

I believe it's more a statement of good will towards our nation (i.e. "God Bless America" doesn't have to mean anything religious, it is a statement of goodwill and positive thoughts for our country)
Anyone who's ever read the bible wouldn't want 'god,' if they exist to have any power over anything much less the government considering how much an amoral abomination they are.

I don't think America was blessed by some invisible friend in the sky and I don't feel like acknowledging it since it seems like a ridiculous idea to me.

Would it irk you if instead of saying 'In God We Trust,' the money said, 'In Satan We Trust.' I doubt people will think your a hypocrite, but it's giving special place for devil worshippers in the public square. Satan is something that is considered the antithesis of God in Christianity, but if it is placed on money in the same kind of statement that god is then it is purporting that 'Satan' is this good entity which should be recognized and acknowledged as being to be looked up to even if someone doesn't believe in it. It's same with god, when the people place god in those kinds of phrases on the money then it's trying make uniformity in the sense to conform people to thinking that this one idea is right.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:22 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,815,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Clearly, America is blessed. Or it would not be the nation of freedoms, opportunity, and graciousness it is. And we are blessed to live here.

For all its faults, I doubt you can find a better nation to live in, all things considered.
Ireland? Switzerland? Norway?

Should I keep going? The USA was ranked #13

http://www.economist.com/media/pdf/quality_of_life.pdf (broken link)

Old 07-03-2008, 08:00 AM

472 posts, read 1,544,410 times
Back to the original question...

Yes, the FED does have the authority to print "Don't Trust God" and infact has the authority to keep "In God We Trust" on our money. Regardless of my or your personal feelings about it. The FED is not owned by the government. It is an independent contractor within the government... like the USPS.

Since essentially they operate as a private company, they can printe " I Fuc*ing Love Bin Laden" on the money, and it would be perfectly legal. You may chose not to use the money, but they will not have violated any separation of church and state.

And I would like to point out that they will actually be removing the "In God We Trust" slogan from the face of coins. The new dollar coins will be the first to be printed without it. Instead, E Plurbus Unum, AND In God We Trust will be printed on the sides of the money. I actually like this appeasement.

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Business/NYR10102151255_nr.jpeg (broken link)

I am an atheist, and I have wondered about such questions before.

Here is a link to more info about the FED:
FRB: FAQs: Federal Reserve System (http://www.federalreserve.gov/generalinfo/faq/faqfrs.htm#5 - broken link)

I hope this satisfies the question.

Last edited by gradco2004; 07-03-2008 at 08:09 AM..

Old 07-03-2008, 08:05 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,815,046 times
I think the spirit of the thread is SHOULD the Fed put religious stuff on the currency.

If that's the case, I'd go with "trust in your god", as it implies tolerance instead of "in this one god we trust".

Old 07-03-2008, 08:31 AM

415 posts, read 610,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Tell us how...
Are you asking me to explain why Congress assuming the power to declare the American people's trust in God, constitutes an unconstitutional assumption of civil authority over religion?

Old 07-03-2008, 08:46 AM

472 posts, read 1,544,410 times
Quote:
Are you asking me to explain why Congress assuming the power to declare the American people's trust in God, constitutes an unconstitutional assumption of civil authority over religion?
Congress is not incharge of the FED. The FED is an independent contractor for the government. They made the design for the money in America. We cannot blame this one on government, sorry.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Yes. Its words on a coin. The money is legal tender for everyone ain't it?
You have I think a paranoid assumption of suppression by civil authority where its non existent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies