U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 01:58 PM

20,164 posts, read 23,223,610 times

Advertisements

Gloom and Doom Rule the Baby Boom | LiveScience

The study leaders say the bleak outlook is not just about reaching middle age. "Boomers generally have been downbeat, compared with other age groups, for the past two decades," they report. "So their current sour ratings may be related to getting older, but they also may be related to the attitudes and expectations about life they formed when they were young."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 02:30 PM

48,503 posts, read 92,760,541 times
Is that why more boomers are retiring earlier than any genration in history and they control most of the wealth in this country.Maybe they are downbeat because of teh current generation you think?

Old 07-01-2008, 04:02 PM

13,998 posts, read 25,828,079 times
Happy, prosperous and early retired boomer here! Guess they asked the wrong folks.

Not only that, I'm also excited and optimistic about the future, just suppose I'm a significant contrarian.

However, all kidding aside, I can look at this from a legitimate perspective too. There are multiple reasons for the more pessimistic view of life and the future:

- Excessive self perceptions
- Minimized willingness of many folks to invest in relationships
- Changing economic process altering core values, such as corporate loyalty (both ways)
- Enhanced worldwide economic competition
- Growing up in an environment with unrealistic economic entitlement expectations
- Poor understanding of the value of giving, vs receiving
- Viewing relationships as disposable
- Lack of willingness to strategically plan long term finances

Old 07-01-2008, 05:21 PM

5,768 posts, read 11,161,699 times
Quote:
Lack of willingness to strategically plan long term finances
That's a very good point. Kids should be taught over and over and over again that wealth accumulates over time, and that the earlier you start saving and investing, the more of an impact compound interest and long-term growth trends can have on your assets. I simply don't think people understand this principle before it's getting to be too late.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:42 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,620,972 times
Boomers are full of themselves and whine a lot. I can't wait until they're all in the nursing homes.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:34 PM

6,019 posts, read 10,529,660 times
For that information to make any sense, wouldn't they have to assess other generations (at the same age span) to find the difference? Maybe folks get depressed as they age.

[Woodstock veteran]

Old 07-01-2008, 08:50 PM

13,998 posts, read 25,828,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
For that information to make any sense, wouldn't they have to assess other generations (at the same age span) to find the difference? Maybe folks get depressed as they age.

[Woodstock veteran]
Actually, recent research has shown the opposite to be true (I was surprised too):

Old age can be a time of happiness - 06/01/2008 - MiamiHerald.com (broken link)

Old 07-01-2008, 08:55 PM

61,281 posts, read 83,386,617 times
many false teachings in the 60's.
wont go into them.
i would say i am grateful to get thru it and life is pretty good for the most part.
re san francisco, not all the hippies were dumb hippies. many shaved put on a suit and worked in the san francisco financial district & did quite well.
but a whole lota them OD'ed in golden gate park, skull fracture was a common ER cause of death (drug disputes), but also infections untreated.
fyi probably rabbi lerner is the most knowledgeable author i have read on how all this affected us as a people.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:10 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,554,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
"Boomers generally have been downbeat, compared with other age groups, for the past two decades," they report. "So their current sour ratings may be related to getting older, but they also may be related to the attitudes and expectations about life they formed when they were young."

I attribute it more to their maturing during a time of a shrinking manufacturing base, significant outsourcing of good-paying blue and white-collar jobs, disappearing pensions, and escalating health care costs.... The things they expected to be there for them are disappearing...

I think they also expected to have too much, and are too obsessed with material possessions.

Be content with what you have - you'll be much happier in life.

HubbleRules

Old 07-01-2008, 09:51 PM

5,031 posts, read 12,115,767 times
Can't quite say I was a "flower child" in the late 60's [1970's was my coming of age. But as a student, I did participate in peace demonstrations [one was a Mass conducted by a priest & Christians in front of the induction center in Oakland in order to express moral responsibility to end a pointless war [amazing how history repeats itself]. Civil disobedience was occurring but only a small number [ie Peoples Park].

A generation’s expression to reject greedy capitalism in favor of a free-loving utopia [juvenile idealism & a genuine desire to form a better society]. Self-regulation of resources is not a new notion [European/Canada] & not a threat to anything [universal health care\ increased funding of schools free into college\ focus on environmental concerns [water/air/future] \full funding of medical research\ fiscal commitment to energy options [including nuclear] & vigorous support of job development [highways/airports].

Those "1960's" visions are becoming reality [too bad reactionary Republicans resist what is right for what is selfish anti-social
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies