Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 04:42 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times

Advertisements

The US Supreme Court has ordered that all prisons in the State of California be desegregated.

ABC News: Inmates' Threat: No Segregation, No Peace

If anyone believes that the so-called "peace" in prisons isn't thinly veiled, just wait until this policy is enforced. When the violence breaks out in the prisons, it will most likely spill into the streets where gangs rule by intimidation.

I think that the Supreme Court has been making dangerous choices lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 05:26 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The US Supreme Court has ordered that all prisons in the State of California be desegregated.

ABC News: Inmates' Threat: No Segregation, No Peace

If anyone believes that the so-called "peace" in prisons isn't thinly veiled, just wait until this policy is enforced. When the violence breaks out in the prisons, it will most likely spill into the streets where gangs rule by intimidation.

I think that the Supreme Court has been making dangerous choices lately.
This is scary.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:28 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
This is an example of how romantic ideologies don't necessarily fare well in the nastier parts of the real world.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:29 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
making it more and more difficult to do incarceration. system is ripe for subcontracting to costa rico of penal system.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:52 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times
Let them kill each other. Theres too many in prison anyway & this will create room so we dont need to let any go early.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:55 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Forgive me for pointing out a statistical fact. But they are gonna run out of white guys in a hurry.

20yearsinBranson

Old 07-01-2008, 10:02 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
It's a federal mandate way over-due against the California prison system. I support Schwarzenegger but am disappointed that he could not take care of this since the federal investigation began years ago. Prison reform requires money in a state that has no money

Old 07-01-2008, 11:31 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,779,921 times
Sad since the gangs are so strongly unified in the prison's they are sent. The differences between races that occurred in the street, inevitably occurs in prison. And with the threat of more violence, the wish of others to let them just kill themselves may become more and more true. For a gang member just coming off the street, segregation must be the way to go until some training, discipline and education is instilled in that individual. Otherwise, don't place that individual in a desegregated group of those already reformed (if such people exist in prison).

Old 07-02-2008, 01:35 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
i must admit that i only read the 1st page of the article. but...

it is not the smartest thing to do to start mixing the black and brown inmates in cali.
i'm all for brown love and black pride and visa versa, but...

the animosity amongst these two (prison)populations is deeply rooted and even generational. and it escapes the prison walls and infiltrates the "free" streets we run. its ruff. puttin them together is just gunna give them more people to hate. now they will actually have access to the other inmates they want done. and they will also know whos family on the street to kill. if you ask me, more contact between these bands of lowlifes will only lead to the spread of info and will eventually cause more damage, not only in the prisons, but on the streets as well.

no bueno.

they aint guna have these sensitivity sessions or diversity trainings or any of that stuff. a straight desegregation of jails without any real way to adrees the beef in the jails is ridiculous. its not the answer. i really dont think this will do any good.

what will it do?

more fighting, and while i agree with the "let them eat each other" philosophy for inmates, i dont think all people in prison are hardened criminals. in (cali)jail we would all be forced to click up with some gang.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:47 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,412,227 times
Interesting. So, now a broader group of people trying to serve their debts to society will be forced to choose between their manhood and/or safety and completing their bit.

I guess it doesn't pay to be taken alive in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies