Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2008, 09:32 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Because blacks are a race and homosexuals are not.
Discrimination is discrimination or are you saying that persecution against...say religions should be ignored?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 09:59 PM

630 posts, read 1,294,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradco2004 View Post
Lawsuit: Jackson Memorial barred lesbian from seeing dying partner -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

One of the most heart-breaking stories I've heard in a while. Gays are not trying to ruin marriage, they are trying to live their lives with dignity, and protect their loved ones. This is just sad for 2008. ::: Lost For Words :::

The video is really sad.
wow that sucks. I didn't even click on the link to the video. I don't agree with gay marriage, but its a law and i have respect for it that way. I also have respect for gay and lesbian partners be it that they don't go around touting or shoving their sexual orientation in peoples faces ( this goes for straight people too).Me personally, I don't agree with gay and lesbian lifestyles but that is my opinion and otherwise thats my personal belief (not religious) but everyone is an equally important human being no matter what

Old 09-03-2008, 10:07 PM

630 posts, read 1,294,761 times
Quote:
Lawsuit: Jackson Memorial barred lesbian from seeing dying partner -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

One of the most heart-breaking stories I've heard in a while. Gays are not trying to ruin marriage, they are trying to live their lives with dignity, and protect their loved ones. This is just sad for 2008. ::: Lost For Words :::

The video is really sad.
WOW just saw the video , yea that is soooo wrong. sexual orientation should not be an issue when going to see a loved one at a hospital on their deathbed. I hope the hospital pays for it all. In this case the hospital did make the "Gay thing" an issue and that is wrong. I don't agree that this is why gays would need marriage. In this case the hospital would have done this regardless. It is wrong of the hospital, but them being married would have probably made the situation worse, even though its still wrong of the hospital.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:10 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Its not about pride, its about not spitting in the face of God in a time when we need His blessings more than ever. .
That's not spitting in the face of God. Two people that love each other have a right to see each other, especially if they have a power-of-attorney. What Jackson Memorial did was immoral. It's not even about gay marriage really, they had a legal document saying they must have visitation rights. You can't void those kinds of agreements simply because you see somebody as "living in sin".

Having said that, I think there are two sides to the issue. Conservatives want to feel that they aren't being attacked for believing what they believe, something some on the liberal side are eager to do. That's not really compassion, either, trying to change other peoples views to match yours for your own sake. There's a self-righteous smugness to some progressives that's wearisome.

Last edited by Magnulus; 09-03-2008 at 11:22 PM..

Old 09-04-2008, 12:23 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,878 times
So if everyone is so afraid of it changing religious doctrine and crap, why not allow them to have a civil marriage?

My husband and I did that, no religion involved at all. I wouldn't even want a religious ceremony.

I have no problem with same sex, opposite sex, kinky sex, no sex (although that might be a bit boring......) marriages.

Everyone has the right to get married as they see fit and make a public commitment to each other.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:12 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,870,812 times
You know this still is just so sad to me. I have some good friends who are in a lesbian relationship and their kids go to school with mine. Great people and great friends. One is in a big battle with her ex for custody of a child that they decided together they wanted. The ex had in vitro and gave birth to him. The other was right there through it all and helped pay for the procedure. She is more of a mother to the boy than the biological mother who has major issues (drugs, mental, many others things it would take a book to tell, etc.). The one who didn't give birth could not legally adopt him as her own with her ex b/c the law says parents are man and woman. So after 8 years of being a great parent to this child that loves her and needs her, she may lose any contact with him b/c of a jealous, stupid person who can't see what is best for the child. All she sees is revenge against someone. If gays and lesbians had legal rights with regard to marriage and children, things like this couldn't happen. It just makes me so mad. I don't pretend to understand being gay or lesbian, but love is love people. I know what the Bible says about it but it also says to love one another. They deserve the same rights as a human being that I do. What goes on in the bedroom shouldn't dictate those rights.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:22 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,701 times
Quote:

The video is really sad.
------------

There is a large gay population here in S.Florida but they as a whole are not as political as they need to be.

South Florida's politics is controlled by what I call the Cosa Nostra Cuban politician's .
They are beyond extreme right unless it has to do with illegal immigration that they adore .

In other word's everyone here loses with them in power .

Old 09-04-2008, 07:33 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
So if everyone is so afraid of it changing religious doctrine and crap, why not allow them to have a civil marriage?

My husband and I did that, no religion involved at all. I wouldn't even want a religious ceremony.

I have no problem with same sex, opposite sex, kinky sex, no sex (although that might be a bit boring......) marriages.

Everyone has the right to get married as they see fit and make a public commitment to each other.
Thank you.

If gays are not given the right to marry, then the government is saying that we are second class citizens, who don't deserve the same rights as anyone else. I pay taxes, and my father, uncles and cousins fought in our wars. I should get the SAME rights.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:53 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Thank you.

If gays are not given the right to marry, then the government is saying that we are second class citizens, who don't deserve the same rights as anyone else. I pay taxes, and my father, uncles and cousins fought in our wars. I should get the SAME rights.

If bisexuals are not given the right to marry a man AND a woman at the same time, then the government is saying that we are second class citizens....

If people are not given the right to marry their pets, then the government is saying that we are second class citizen....

If NAMBLA members are not given the right to marry pre-pubescent boys, then the government is saying that we are second class citizens....

Old 09-04-2008, 08:06 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
If bisexuals are not given the right to marry a man AND a woman at the same time, then the government is saying that we are second class citizens....

If people are not given the right to marry their pets, then the government is saying that we are second class citizen....

If NAMBLA members are not given the right to marry pre-pubescent boys, then the government is saying that we are second class citizens....
Really? You don't know the difference between consensual loving relationships of two adults and bestiality/pedophelia? That speaks VOLUMES about your character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies