Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 10:15 AM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Thanks for sharing your ignorance. Care to try defining what exactly a "liberal rag" is, or what a "liberal" is for that matter?
Amen buddy. With the likes of Robert Novak, Charles Krauthammer, George Will, Michael Gerson, et al, plugging away at solid GOP / Conservative points of view in the WaPo, the WaPo deserves the "Fair and Balanced" moniker so much more than FOX / FAUX / FIX "news" ever will. I recall the major editorial back in 2003 where the Editors strongly endorsed the invasion if Iraq. To call the WaPo a liberal rag is to be totally uninformed, but par for Kool-Aid drinkers.

Not to mention that whether intended or not, Paullysc did a deft job of hijacking the thread by changing the focus from the worst president to the paper that ran the story.

Back ON topic, G.W.Bush will be viewed for a very long time as one of the worst presidents ever. Current historians are overwhelmingly set on that descriptor. When the total damages are tallied up, damages done to our economy, our constitution, our scientific base, our military readiness, our prestige, our leadership, our energy independence, our environment, our infrastructure, our brotherhood, our health care, our years wasted, then the total destruction to the USA will be STAGGERING.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-04-2008 at 10:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 10:27 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
you are only saying that because he is president right now. he is the one that is fresh in your mind. kind of like when you hear a gwen stephani song and you think, this is the worst song ever. but if you go back in time, you might be able to find one that is worse. the dollar is crappy because of the war in iraq, so you can't forget it. if he didn't start the war, and secured the borders, we might be talking about the best president ever. those are certainly his downfalls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Worst President Ever

Forget the war in Iraq. The real destruction is to America's financial strength and economic leadership around the world. It will be hard to dig our way of the grave we're in, especially after the economic wreckage from around the world caves in on top of us. The dollar used to be KING, now the dollar is BUTTWIPE. We're dead meat. Thanks George, you idiot.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:30 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,265,627 times
Quote:
Amen buddy. With the likes of Robert Novak, Charles Krauthammer, George Will, Michael Gerson, et al, plugging away at solid GOP / Conservative points of view in the WaPo, the WaPo deserves the "Fair and Balanced" moniker so much more than FOX / FAUX / FIX "news" ever will. I recall the major editorial back in 2003 where the Editors strongly endorsed the invasion if Iraq. To call the WaPo a liberal rag is to be totally uninformed, but par for Kool-Aid drinkers.

Not to mention that whether intended or not, Paullysc did a deft job of hijacking the thread by changing the focus from the worst president to the paper that ran the story.

Back ON topic, G.W.Bush will be viewed for a very long time as one of the worst presidents ever. Current historians are overwhelmingly set on that descriptor. When the total damages are tallied up, damages done to our economy, our constitution, our scientific base, our military readiness, our prestige, our leadership, our energy independence, our environment, our infrastructure, our brotherhood, our years wasted, then the total destruction to the USA will be STAGGERING.
Exactly. Very well said. As someone who's studied history extensively -- I almost made the choice to go on to do it professionally -- I couldn't agree more with that assessment of Bush. Which again, that's why I brought up the "since Hitler" comment. Aside from his obvious and horrific crimes, Hitler did untold damage of all kinds to a huge part of Europe, Germany included. In the era since, I cannot think of another Western leader who comes close to causing the sort of damage at home and abroad that Bush Jr. has.

As for the WP, I actually find it to be one of the fairest, most intelligent papers in print today. You get solid pieces like the Froomkin one I posted, and the conservative commentators write some pretty decent stuff as well. I don't always agree with the opinions expressed on either the right or left (I try to stay above and beyond the left-right fray), but the paper is outstanding for people who aren't afraid to think for themselves.

Last edited by StoneOne; 07-04-2008 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: typo!

Old 07-04-2008, 10:32 AM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
you are only saying that because he is president right now.....
No I'm not. Being born in 1948, I've recollections of them all since Ike's term, and have read tons of books over the years. Chimpy is the worst I've seen and arguably deserves "worst ever" status, but time will tell. If we get McCain, he may be even worse.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:52 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
not sure who chimpy is but I am sure if you called barack obama chimpy, you would be labeled a racist. barack obama could be elected and he could be the worst president ever. I also would argue that johnson must have been pretty bad, he was impeached.

Quote:
No I'm not. Being born in 1948, I've recollections of them all since Ike's term, and have read tons of books over the years. Chimpy is the worst I've seen and arguably deserves "worst ever" status, but time will tell. If we get McCain, he may be even worse.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:53 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
Quote:
Mike from back east
Back ON topic, G.W.Bush will be viewed for a very long time as one of the worst presidents ever. Current historians are overwhelmingly set on that descriptor. When the total damages are tallied up, damages done to our economy, our constitution, our scientific base, our military readiness, our prestige, our leadership, our energy independence, our environment, our infrastructure, our brotherhood, our health care, our years wasted, then the total destruction to the USA will be STAGGERING.
Nicely articulated.

That list of Democratic presidents who led the nation to war conspicuously forgets Franklin Roosevelt. Are we to assume that WWII is comparable in any way to the Bush War? The Korean & Vietnam wars could likely have been avoided without negative consequences to the West imo.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:31 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,292,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubbltunman View Post
Thing is our Constitution calls for death if it is messed with, that's when I see the Patriot act and other "unconstitutional laws" being passed very easily. I believe all these laws need to be brought before the supreme court to be abolished...
I believe Bush has stacked the court in his favor...

Old 07-04-2008, 01:53 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
Quote:
It is amazing to me that Congress has nothing to do with any of this and it is all the President! WOW.. Who votes, who pushes things through why are they all being paid to be in Washington DC. Again why do we need them then if the President does it all. Hell I day lets fire Congress, pages and everyone else than!

Old 07-04-2008, 01:55 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Yes he is a bad and horrible President but let us not get carried away. He is not even close to Hitler. Hoover- yes, Hitler- no way!

Old 07-04-2008, 02:01 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,265,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
It is amazing to me that Congress has nothing to do with any of this and it is all the President! WOW.. Who votes, who pushes things through why are they all being paid to be in Washington DC. Again why do we need them then if the President does it all. Hell I day lets fire Congress, pages and everyone else than!
As a rule, I tend to vote against incumbents unless the Congressman or Senator has made a promise not to seek reelection after a maximum of two terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies