Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 02:11 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,668,250 times

Advertisements

Just curious if anybody feels the same way. I hear all of the various political labels such as right wing left wing, conservative, liberal etc etc. I feel confused because I have views that seem to contradict typical labels. I might feel conservative about one subject then liberal about the next. I suppose most people do as well. I was just thinking that if I had to label myself I'd be a little confused maybe a conserberal LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 02:17 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Just curious if anybody feels the same way. I hear all of the various political labels such as right wing left wing, conservative, liberal etc etc. I feel confused because I have views that seem to contradict typical labels. I might feel conservative about one subject then liberal about the next. I suppose most people do as well. I was just thinking that if I had to label myself I'd be a little confused maybe a conserberal LOL
I am the same way but I describe myself as LIBERAL because on most issues I am LIBERAL. But I have a few issues I am conservative on such things as crime, gun control, race based affirmative action. I am also big on First Amendment rights even for offensive conservatives such as the Nazis, the Klan, the Confederate flag wavers, the Westboro Church funeral picketers and other assorted Republican screwball types. I have to stand by their right to free speech.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:35 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I am the same way but I describe myself as LIBERAL because on most issues I am LIBERAL. But I have a few issues I am conservative on such things as crime, gun control, race based affirmative action. I am also big on First Amendment rights even for offensive conservatives such as the Nazis, the Klan, the Confederate flag wavers, the Westboro Church funeral picketers and other assorted Republican screwball types. I have to stand by their right to free speech.
When ever there is family gatherings I'm sorta the outcast in that I lean towards the Repugnatin side of the fence. The whole family is hardcore union democrats. I always argue about how,it seems to me that Democrates see the world as everything being a right, regardless if people work hard or not.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:51 PM

472 posts, read 1,544,343 times
Socially Liberal
Fiscally Conservative

I'm a so-sha-lib-fina-con ?!

Old 07-04-2008, 02:56 PM

428 posts, read 1,184,568 times
In Vanocuver - Left Wing or Moderate Liberal
In U.S - Very Liberal or Radical left winger.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:47 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
I'm a conservative Libertarian. I'm strongly against government interference in our personal lives ... either by taxation, or increased laws & regulation. Most everything that is currently in the hands of government can be accomplished by the private sector, and by much higher standards. One huge example is the education system. I'm a huge proponent for privatizing the schools, and getting the cost burden off the backs of the taxpayers.

There are a couple of issues I disagree with the Libertarians on: dealing with criminals, and illegal immigration. The Libertarian party tends to be against the death penalty ... but I say that if a crime is heinous enough, capital punishment should be mandatory. On the immigration issue, I'm in favor of penalizing employers who hire illegals. Other than that, I can go along with just about anything else the Libertarians support. On fiscal issues, we are conservatives, but on most social issues, we are liberal.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:57 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
When ever there is family gatherings I'm sorta the outcast in that I lean towards the Repugnatin side of the fence. The whole family is hardcore union democrats. I always argue about how,it seems to me that Democrates see the world as everything being a right, regardless if people work hard or not.
That idea that hard work is necessary for all things comes from the Puritan ethic, and is still very strong in the US. To some extent, in those sects, you could prove your worthiness to God and prove you were virtuous if you were financially successful. There is some research that suggests that the Protestant movement was an economic movement to change the work patterns of the common man. The historical Catholic philosophy is that God loves you if you are a good and kind person open to children with or without material wealth. Those two splits still show up today in most of our politics. So don't feel too confused.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:14 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times
My philosophy is in some flux right now, but I'm somewhere between conservative and libertarian. Just because I think that the U.S. government doesn't exactly do the best job with social services. It's nice that they want to try (bless them) but having stuff done by the people is often much more efficient than having the government do it.

Besides, we get taxed to fund the government, and we're still 9 trillion in debt. Doesn't sound like a group I'd give a lot to if it were my choice.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:24 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,495,723 times
Liberals and conservatives are all of a piece - all are the fools of prejudice. We all bring our own biases and prejudices (our own political philosophy, so to speak) to the public forum. To be disposed one way or the other may depend on many things; but, ultimately, it all depends on only one thing - ourselves. We would all do well to examine ourselves - our own dislikes and preferences - before we start labeling others.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:32 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,985 times
Anarchist with Libertarian leanings.

I'm all for democracy (mob rule) as long as everyone agrees with me. From what I see I think most people are the same but just don't know how to correctly label themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies