Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 11:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
I hate the way they use a captive audience to force rituals on people. What if a guy from Antarctica wanted to recite a poem about seals ? Or a sufi wanted to whirl ? How about a quilting demonstration ? Or the 60 second athiest credo ? "ladies and gents, THIS is what I believe." I don't like being asked to bow my head for a Christian prayer. It's just another way to try and control people.
No one is forcing you to do anything. Your own words say it.."being asked"..vs "being forced".

No one is trying to control anyone. If you're an athiest then take that moment to "do nothing".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 11:21 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini84 View Post
My job often requires me to attend City of Miami public hearings. When I went to my first one, I was completely shocked to find that before starting the public hearing, everyone was required to stand and say the Pledge of Allegiance. Then, one of the board members who is a reverend, led everyone in a prayer! Isn't this illegal? When I was in about 6th grade in Illinois (many, many years ago), we had to stop saying the Pledge of Allegiance every day at school because of the phrase "under God". Some kids might be atheist or a different religion and it was stopped out of respect for other religions and beliefs. Also, we were not allowed to pray before sporting events or in school for the same reason. This is the only city I've ever come across who still does this and I find it completely astonishing...especially at a PUBLIC, GOVERNMENT meeting! I brought it up to a coworker (originally from California) who agreed that it was wrong, but made the point that because most people here are foreign-born, why is there such a strong religious affiliation? Particularly, why is saying the Pledge of Allegiance so important to people not even born in the U.S.? You'd think it was just the opposite. I just find this conservativeness very strange and non-progressive.
I don't see anything wrong with the pledge of allegiance *except* for the "under God" part. So when I say it, I just leave that part out. Nobody notices, and nobody will notice if you do it too.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-30-2009, 04:41 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,014,069 times
If praying to God or saying the pledge of alliegance bothers you at these meetings, then respectfully sit there and do nothing. Why should others refrain from praying or saying the pledge just because it offends YOU. Are you really that selfish that everyone else has to kowtow out of respect for YOUR beliefs. A large majority of Americans identify themselves as Christians so it is natural for Christians to want God's blessings upon the meeting. If this bothers you so much, there are many countries where atheism or other religious beliefs are more prevailent.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:17 PM

968 posts, read 1,038,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
If praying to God or saying the pledge of alliegance bothers you at these meetings, then respectfully sit there and do nothing.
Why be "respectful"? I say when this "prayer" begins, go ahead and pray to your God or Goddess (or Gods and Goddesses) as loudly and fervently frenzied as you can.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:22 PM

37,130 posts, read 42,193,480 times
There is no reason for public prayer except to call attention to oneself, and I happen to know the Bible says not to do it. Not only do they go against God and his instructions, they knowingly and purposely annoy other people. I can only assume people who do this sort of thing are somewhat stupid.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
There is no reason for public prayer except to call attention to oneself, and I happen to know the Bible says not to do it. Not only do they go against God and his instructions, they knowingly and purposely annoy other people. I can only assume people who do this sort of thing are somewhat stupid.
People pray before meetings to seek God's blessings upon that meeting. Where does the Bible forbid corporate prayer? I know the Bible forbids praying in public for the sole purpose of making a show of it but the Bible does not forbid two or more folks from praying together.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:28 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,899,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No one is forcing you to do anything. Your own words say it.."being asked"..vs "being forced".

No one is trying to control anyone. If you're an athiest then take that moment to "do nothing".
Why should anyone have to listen to a religious buffoon uttering the words
"Let us bow our heads ?"

Why should Athiests or non Christians have to be subjected to this public dogma ? Do nothing ? How many Christians would stand and "do nothing" if a Satanic priest asked them to "hail satan" and then pledge the flag ? They would want to boycott, and storm off in a huff. Pat Robertson would have a field day !

Old 08-30-2009, 05:28 PM

37,130 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
People pray before meetings to seek God's blessings upon that meeting. Where does the Bible forbid corporate prayer? I know the Bible forbids praying in public for the sole purpose of making a show of it but the Bible does not forbid two or more folks from praying together.
It is all for show. They can and should pray before assembling in a public place. It's not that hard to understand. Especially when one or more in attendance is not a believer or has another god to pray to.

PS God doesn't "bless" meetings.

Last edited by Ceece; 08-30-2009 at 06:37 PM..

Old 08-30-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Why should anyone have to listen to a religious buffoon uttering the words
"Let us bow our heads ?"

Why should Athiests or non Christians have to be subjected to this public dogma ? Do nothing ? How many Christians would stand and "do nothing" if a Satanic priest asked them to "hail satan" and then pledge the flag ? They would want to boycott, and storm off in a huff. Pat Robertson would have a field day !
Satanism is not the religion that is practiced by the majority of Americans so having a satanist invoking prayer would certainly offend most folks in this country. I'm tired of a small, shrill minority demanding Christians to quit praying at governmental meetings just because one or two folks would find it "offensive".

Old 08-30-2009, 05:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I think the people who do not want to pray should wait outside for those who do.

Maybe those who do pray think those are do not are just unbelievable.
Maybe those who want to pray should be the ones to do so outside of the meeting. That's the way it was handled at my kids' schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
Let's see how you feel about it when a turban-wearing Muslim leads the prayer. Or, heavens to mercy, a Humanist or a Satanist.

Or do you consider your religion the official religion?
Here in CO, it could be a Mormon! OMG! (JK, please, I have nothing against Mormons, but a lot of RW Christians do.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
sorry that you were shocked at pledge of allegiance. if this is the current public belief including K12, this explains much. how sad that foreigners have more respect for this country than the citizens.
My youngest graduated in 2005, and they said the pledge every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
I think we should restore the Pledge of Allegiance to what it was prior to 1954 and remove the words "under God".
That would probably be a good idea. "Under God" was inserted for Cold War purposes, and we've moved on now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies