Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 03:16 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
....oh great. Here we go again.
And I suppose that the Pledge of Allegiance should also not be allowed in public schools. I can tell you whats really wrong with this country these days...but I dont want to get into that

Anyways, I love the Star Spangled Banner. And who says its difficult to remember? Its about as hard to remember as the music you listen to. Ive known how to sing it since i was still in grade school
The 1950s addition of "under god" should be removed.
If you pledge once, do you really need to pledge every day?

The last 2 words of the national anthem are "play ball."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 03:17 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyorr9 View Post
We've got plenty of aging hippies around this joint. I'm sure somebody will come up with something.
Was this directed as a slam to me?
Personal attacks are not permitted on CD.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:49 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Was this directed as a slam to me?
Personal attacks are not permitted on CD.

Now get back to the America Hating!

Old 07-05-2008, 05:23 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Its ridiculous how much liberals hate America. If you hate it so bad, go move to Sweeden or the Netherlands or whatever country you think is doing it right.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:30 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Probably the Dixie Chicks or Springsteen could whip something up that's appropriate.
I won't knock that stuff. It is important to remember the injustices and ruthlessness of the past- and the present- and to correct them. But on balance the place is still a pretty damn good place to call home. No country is unstained and unashamed of history. But few have went to the efforts that this one has to make amends.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Its ridiculous how much liberals hate America. If you hate it so bad, go move to Sweeden or the Netherlands or whatever country you think is doing it right.
As a LIBERAL I do not hate America. I probably LOVE America more than the conservatives who, by and large, are in it for themselves and really do not give a damn about the country or even the future of their own children within it. Sacrifice and service to most conservatives means spending $2 on a "Support The Troops" magnet for the truck or monster SUV they drive around while griping about high gas prices.
And the beauty of America is that, if there are things here that bother you, you do not have to move. All you have to do is vote which hopefully we will do en masse come November. In fact, the conservatives may be looking for a new country come January 20!

Old 07-05-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
....oh great. Here we go again.
And I suppose that the Pledge of Allegiance should also not be allowed in public schools. I can tell you whats really wrong with this country these days...but I dont want to get into that

Anyways, I love the Star Spangled Banner. And who says its difficult to remember? Its about as hard to remember as the music you listen to. Ive known how to sing it since i was still in grade school
The Pledge of Allegiance should be said in every classroom at the beginning of the day in every school everywhere. It should NOT be forced on anybody to say it- if they do not wish to do so, they may remain seated and read a book or whatever. There were kids in my school that did just that (I think some of them were Jehovas Witnesses) and nobody bothered them about it. That is the way it should be.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:42 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,651 times
Quote:
I am hardily a liberal but that is the most ridiculous statement I ever heard and I hear it much to much. As Ben Franklin said; "We must all hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately" and Ole Ben was pretty liberal. Without both sides you don't have this America, you have a 1940 Germany, Russia or an England under Cromwell.

BTW isn't "God Bless America" the same music as the British anthem "God Save the Queen"?

Old 07-05-2008, 05:48 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,037 times
Quote:
Where in God's name did that come from?

Old 07-05-2008, 05:49 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
I am hardily a liberal but that is the most ridiculous statement I ever heard and I hear it much to much. As Ben Franklin said; "We must all hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately" and Ole Ben was pretty liberal. Without both sides you don't have this America, you have a 1940 Germany, Russia or an England under Cromwell.

BTW isn't "God Bless America" the same music as the British anthem "God Save the Queen"?
No that is My Country Tis of Thee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies