Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 11:07 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Bwah hah...I haven't read all these pages yet and probably won't...but I wanted to interject a little levity. My husband and I were watching the Paula Dean cooking show one time and she said something like, "I picked up (such and such food) at the Asian store."

My husband and I looked at each other and my husband said, "The Asian store?" and then he said, "I wonder what they would sell at a White store?" (We're white, BTW.) So we sat there and tried to think of what they would sell at Anglos Are Us. We figure they'd sell Nilla Wafers and golf balls.

Sorry. Carry on...
I like your sense of humor.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:16 AM

71 posts, read 400,004 times
Well, I only looked at a couple of posts . . .anyway, my thoughts on it. I get really pissed at those who want to "preserve" what they call the white culture [and I am white, so to speak] because, it is a fact, this certainly is NOT our country of origin if we are white in a historical sense! Thus, those who are into white power and say "go back to your country!" to those of another culture . . . I yell back, "You too!!!"

Factually speaking . . . my "white culture" is Irish, English and well, Serbian. Don't know if that's really "white" anyway . . . Slavic is the word we use more often; my full-blooded, first born American father had a bit of an olive Serbian coloration -- white, yeah; still, not as white as my Irish [fourth generation American born] mother. I look Irish/English, though. Nevertheless, I have an Aunt who also picks up our Cherokee ancestory. Thus, I also have about an eighth Cherokee in me, too!

So, my opinion and the truth . . . the only people who have any REAL claim to this country in the scheme of true history, depending on how far once wants to go may be American Indians! Certainly not us white people who came here, for the most part, in 1776!!!

Thus, who should "get out" . . . everyone, except for the full-blooded American Indians! LOL!

I'm prejudice against prejudice people! Either we love everyone or we send everyone away.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:43 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,313 times
To the poster that made fun of blacks and said they didn't invent anything especially the INTERNET, schools in session get an education.

http://cnnstudentnews.cnn.com/fyi/interactive/specials/bhm/story/black.innovators.html (broken link)

A father of the Internet
Philip Emeagwali, a computer scientist, is but one example. He uses his mathematical and computer expertise to develop methods for extracting more petroleum from oil fields.

It was his formula that used 65,000 separate computer processors to perform 3.1 billion calculations per second in 1989. That feat led to computer scientists comprehending the capabilities of supercomputers and the practical applications of creating a system that allowed multiple computers to communicate. He is recognized as one of the fathers of the Internet.

Supercomputers range in price from $30 million to $100 million, and computer companies had reservations about building them for fear few agencies would make such pricey purchases.

"At that time, the argument was, 'We shouldn't build computers that way because who can program them?' " said Emeagwali, who is also a civil engineer. "I answered that question by successfully programming them."

Future applications for Emeagwali's breakthroughs with the use of data generated by massively parallel computers include weather forecasting and the study of global warming.

http://cnnstudentnews.cnn.com/fyi/interactive/specials/bhm/interactive/innovators.gallery/frameset.exclude.html (broken link)

Last edited by reconmark; 04-23-2007 at 07:52 PM..

Old 04-23-2007, 07:44 PM

606 posts, read 698,620 times
yes.
the language you are speaking is a symbol of white culture already.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:00 PM

212 posts, read 858,617 times
*sigh* are you serious? there's white culture. except culture's not defined by the color of your skin. Italian culture is culture,...not b/c they're white, but b/c they have common roots and traditions. as do Germans, and Russians, etc. etc. Asian is the same, the term is used more b/c Americans in general like to lump all Asian countries together as one culture for the sake of simplicity or ignorance. Shockingly enough, there are differences between Thailand, China, Japan, etc. If you go to Africa, the various indigenous groups have culture, not just b/c they're black, and (gasp!) there's white people in Africa whose culture/traditions just might be different from culture in Europe.

A better question might be what is white American culture if there is one...maybe that's what you meant when you said 'white'. I am not saying only white people are American. But the topic itself leads me to believe maybe that was the intention.

Last edited by linkbr; 04-23-2007 at 08:10 PM..

Old 04-24-2007, 05:24 AM

127 posts, read 378,257 times
Default Christianity

Europe was made up of different cultures and they didn't think of themselves as united buy they were united by Christianity. After the U.S. became a nation many immigrants were united by a Christian religion and their ethnicity. People are bound together by those two things. I don't think Americans are united politically, ethnically or religiously today because thats the price you pay for multiculturalism. Americans share a lifestyle and that's about it. Many of us live in a metropolitan area with a Walmart and a McDonalds on the corner. As for culture, Americans have made great contributions to the world in the past - the arts, science and technology.

BTW I always thought rock music borrowed from black music, but blacks incorporated country music, (which originated from Celtic music) in their blues and used European musical instruments. If you know differently let me know.

I wince everytime I hear white people who are feeling bad about US slavery. Guilty feelings are very Christian, LOL! Life was barbaric on every continent and slavery was too for all of history. Instead of feeling guilt, feel good that your white ancestors abolished a worldwide institution thanks to their Christian guilt. Amen.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:50 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,468,029 times
If you want culture......buy some yeast.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:50 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelAura28 View Post
So, my opinion and the truth . . . the only people who have any REAL claim to this country in the scheme of true history, depending on how far once wants to go may be American Indians! Certainly not us white people who came here, for the most part, in 1776!!!

Thus, who should "get out" . . . everyone, except for the full-blooded American Indians! LOL!
Didn't the AmerIndians come from Asia? How are they any more entitled to the land than anyone else? If someone inhabits a land first, does that make them eternally entitled to it?

Old 04-24-2007, 07:55 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
To the poster that made fun of blacks and said they didn't invent anything especially the INTERNET, schools in session get an education.

http://cnnstudentnews.cnn.com/fyi/interactive/specials/bhm/story/black.innovators.html (broken link)

A father of the Internet
Philip Emeagwali, a computer scientist, is but one example. He uses his mathematical and computer expertise to develop methods for extracting more petroleum from oil fields.

It was his formula that used 65,000 separate computer processors to perform 3.1 billion calculations per second in 1989. That feat led to computer scientists comprehending the capabilities of supercomputers and the practical applications of creating a system that allowed multiple computers to communicate. He is recognized as one of the fathers of the Internet.

Supercomputers range in price from $30 million to $100 million, and computer companies had reservations about building them for fear few agencies would make such pricey purchases.

"At that time, the argument was, 'We shouldn't build computers that way because who can program them?' " said Emeagwali, who is also a civil engineer. "I answered that question by successfully programming them."

Future applications for Emeagwali's breakthroughs with the use of data generated by massively parallel computers include weather forecasting and the study of global warming.

http://cnnstudentnews.cnn.com/fyi/interactive/specials/bhm/interactive/innovators.gallery/frameset.exclude.html (broken link)
I can see that he was a geologist/computer scientist who created a specific supercomputer, but what does that have to do with the internet? Besides a CNN special on influential blacks, who recognizes him as a "Father of the Internet"? What was his role in the development of the internet, exactly? That article is boosterish and tells me very, very little.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:00 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,830,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I can see that he was a geologist/computer scientist who created a specific supercomputer, but what does that have to do with the internet? Besides a CNN special on influential blacks, who recognizes him as a "Father of the Internet"? What was his role in the development of the internet, exactly? That article is boosterish and tells me very, very little.
Invented the Internet?!??! Didn't Al Gore invent the Internet?!? He says so himself!

Oh yeah and Al Gore also drafted the US Constitution and ended the Cold War. He probably has claimed those things as well. lol....

Now, seriously... the thread is about white culture. Let's get back to topic.

Any more input??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies