Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 07:32 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times

Advertisements

on unions
one last one and then off the soap box with the old guy.
the greatest puzzle to me & i will never understand. how could somebody come from the nowhere down and out kicked around by employers abused mistreated and underpaid and finally make it,
money property car have it all.
and forget what it was like.
how could they then promote the exploitation of labor. do subcontracting so their church or lodge gets its cleaning and gardening done by illegals. so forth so on. how can that happen. how can they forget, but they do my friend they do. money and a full belly will do that to you. ok. sit down old guy. have some coffee.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 07-05-2008 at 07:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 07:33 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Your premise was that if a worker was the greatest thing since sliced bread, there would be an even playing field, and that is a false premise. If your suppliers decided to raise their rates, you would pay for that resource, if your bank raised it rates, you would pay for that resource, but it seems that only the human factor, the factor that can actually really impact your business, is the least thought of. So we will disagree, but if it is a choice of unfair labor practices and organizing to deny those practices, I am going to side with the union. Sorry. See since you know I can get another job, we don't need to support your business with our hard work and dedication. We will support the employers who will work to raise the entire community and let you go live in Mexico with the cheap labor and lawlessness.
My premise is unions are a cancer and people should make there own decisions. Don't like the company? Don't like the pay? Get a new job. Work harder. Are some companies bad? Yeah, are some people bad? Yeah. It's called the real world.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:44 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
My premise is unions are a cancer and people should make there own decisions. Don't like the company? Don't like the pay? Get a new job. Work harder. Are some companies bad? Yeah, are some people bad? Yeah. It's called the real world.
And your company can also learn to live in a world where the humans you hire are organized and demand fairness. If you want to continue slavery, move to a country where it is legal, unionization and organization is legal here and we are going to keep it that way. I am off to the pub, to spend my wages, professional and unionized. God bless and have a wonderful weekend.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:48 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,437 times
In my honest opinion, Labor Unions did at one time serve a great purpose, especially in the early 20th century. I do fear, however, that their presence has become somewhat of a nuisance.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:50 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
And your company can also learn to live in a world where the humans you hire are organized and demand fairness. If you want to continue slavery, move to a country where it is legal, unionization and organization is legal here and we are going to keep it that way. I am off to the pub, to spend my wages, professional and unionized. God bless and have a wonderful weekend.
Slavery?!?!?!!?! Liberals, holy cow.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:51 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
In my honest opinion, Labor Unions did at one time serve a great purpose, especially in the early 20th century. I do fear, however, that their presence has become somewhat of a nuisance.
And how is life in Opelika, have not been there in years. My cousins The Stones live there and it was a lovely place. Smallest Catholic Church I ever did see though. He was military and union all his life.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:12 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,822,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Ha! This one is good:

"""They are usefull in lining the pockets of a powerful few at the top while providing welfare to the rank and file, all at the expense of the majority of Americans!"""

Sounds just like Walmart and many other corporations in America!!!!!
Really ? Walmart actually lowers the cost of living for most Americans!

Old 07-05-2008, 08:25 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Really ? Walmart actually lowers the cost of living for most Americans!

Ya, by paying them such low wages they can't afford anything.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:52 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
You know the best way to create a level playing field, be the best damn employee at your workplace, be the one that goes above and beyond the call of duty, be the one that is the last person they will want to get rid of when there are cutback's. Finally take pride in what you do and who you are, and lose the victim metality. Hold your head up and let your employer know that you are the best man for the job, and if he doesnt recognize that, someone else will!!
Nah, that takes too much effort. Hows about I just show up.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:06 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,947,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Ya, by paying them such low wages they can't afford anything.
Yes. Takes a highly-trained professional to work at Wal-Mart. I cannot believe they don't hire people at a base salary of $50K with full benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies