Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 11:36 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
, I started SIGNING paychecks and did so for 35 yrs before retiring in 1996. For all those who bellyache about their job, get up off your BUTTS and go into business for yourself and understand the problems and headaches of management and also its rewards. Steve
Well it was in your interest for people to be obedient and compliant; to just shut up and take whatever you chose to give them. I'd hardly say you're a disinterested party or one sympathetic to workers and I'm not gonna take your advice on what I should do very seriously. What's good for YOU, yeah, I'm sure you have a handle on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 11:42 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Silas, sounds like the only one whipped to a frenzy is you. I've yet to see you make a calm or rational argument. In the 35 years I was in my local we never went out on strike and we always bargained (I was on the bargaining board) in a climate of civility and good faith.

Remember, talent chases money in the blue collar world as well as in the white collar one. As conservatives love to point out you get what you pay for. You want to employ cheap tradespeople you'll get quality to match.
Who said anything about employing cheap trades people? I wouldnt know anything about the white collar world. What I do know is I respect a man that comes to me and has the balls to talk to me man to man, about what I am paying him. I never needed any one else to do my bargaining when I was an an employee and I dont need any one to do it for me as an employer! I certainly dont subscribe to the nonsense that just because you belong to some union that makes you worth the same as the other guy, and you all get paid the same wage, just because...?

Old 07-05-2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
it is a simple phone to your representative, if you know that the union was complicit in causing harm to the dam and that these union members were complicit in a crime. when I was steward, we often had people who were out of bounds and to protect our workers who were performing and not breaking rules, we did recommend the release of trouble makers, you just must hang out with the wrong sorts. But I am serious, if you think there is a large taxpayer theft based on a specific union, please call your federal representative and report it. FWA is always taken seriously.

Jane, it's Saturday night and judging by his raving I think ole Silas has been taking solace in the who-hit-John.

Hey, Silas-solace.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:43 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,037 times
Quote:
Jane, it's Saturday night and judging by his raving I think ole Silas has been taking solace in the who-hit-John.

Hey, Silas-solace.
Well Slainte Tom, time for a bit of the BlackBush myself.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I never needed any one else to do my bargaining when I was an an employee and I dont need any one to do it for me as an employer! I certainly dont subscribe to the nonsense that just because you belong to some union that makes you worth the same as the other guy, and you all get paid the same wage, just because...?

Ahhh, you're an employer. Well no wonder you hate unions, you want cheap and obediant help.

Hope your head doesn't hurt too bad in the morning.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:46 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,421 times
Ive been a card carrying teamster for the last 20 years working as a machinist and a bus driver. Every election cycle I'd watch the union leadership brainwash the members to go to the polls and elect democrats. Then I would watch those politicians go to D.C. and sacrifice union interests in exchange for pork and poitical contributions.

To say that workers have nothing at stake and can go find a job somewhere else isnt always the case. In 2002 I worked a machine shop in a small town in. Over the course of the 50 year history of this shop long term employees had seen at least 5 to 6 ownership changes (approx every 8 years). These owners would come in with their finaciers restructure and refinance everything in sight, plunder the operating capital and leave the place barley on life support. The city and employees would spend the next 5 years building it back up so the next crook could find all the accounting tricks to cook the books and pilfer the business. So while ownership is a revloving door of thieves you have a crew of hardworking, professionals from Engineers and management to the union workers with familys to feed, 401Ks, Medical ins wondering when the place would go under, which it eventually did.

There was nowhere else to take your machinist skills, by 2002 75% of manufacturing and most specifically machine shops were moved overseas and this is a rural area with very little opportunity. This was their shop, the operators engineers and management, and all they wanted was their measly $14 an hour and reasonalbe benefits sop they could stay in their hometowns living in the place they love while keeping their families together.

Anyway I remember talkin to one of the old timers who had worked at the shop 32 years when it closed about our union. This guy couldnt read a novel but he could read a blueprint and a calipers and run a machine center like few other people. He said basically if the union wasnt there ownership would walk all over us (and they would have). I sat through enough negotiations to get a good feel for the last two clowns that bought and ruined the place as the dedicated workers looked on in horror.

People were cheated out of vacation and personal time to the tune in some cases of 20 thousand dollars. Our last checks were paid to us at minimum wage. In one of the worst economies in the country there were no other opportunites, zero, zip nada, nothing, Divorces and suicides and families ripped apart as people left to find work somewhere besides walmart or the shoe store at the mall.

Nope these guys busted there butts for years and slackers were immediately found out and dealt with by us, the union membership. We did everything we could to keep that plant alive but we could not out work the greed of a bunch of scandulous thieves. As a lifelong Republican this is the only issue where I break from the party line. My philosopy is I support the union I am in

Remember an apple hanging from a tree has no value until it is harvested and taken to market. Workers have a vested interest and rights in the ongoing concern for which they labor daily.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:49 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
When it comes down to doing a job, there are two choices. You can be the DO'EE or the DO'ER. Take your pick as to what makes you happy. Steve

Old 07-05-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
Ive been a card carrying teamster for the last 20 years working as a machinist and a bus driver. Every election cycle I'd watch the union leadership brainwash the members to go to the polls and elect democrats. Then I would watch those politicians go to D.C. and sacrifice union interests in exchange for pork and poitical contributions.

To say that workers have nothing at stake and can go find a job somewhere else isnt always the case. In 2002 I worked a machine shop in a small town in. Over the course of the 50 year history of this shop long term employees had seen at least 5 to 6 ownership changes (approx every 8 years). These owners would come in with their finaciers restructure and refinance everything in sight, plunder the operating capital and leave the place barley on life support. The city and employees would spend the next 5 years building it back up so the next crook could find all the accounting tricks to cook the books and pilfer the business. So while ownership is a revloving door of thieves you have a crew of hardworking, professionals from Engineers and management to the union workers with familys to feed, 401Ks, Medical ins wondering when the place would go under, which it eventually did.

There was nowhere else to take your machinist skills, by 2002 75% of manufacturing and most specifically machine shops were moved overseas and this is a rural area with very little opportunity. This was their shop, the operators engineers and management, and all they wanted was their measly $14 an hour and reasonalbe benefits sop they could stay in their hometowns living in the place they love while keeping their families together.

Anyway I remember talkin to one of the old timers who had worked at the shop 32 years when it closed about our union. This guy couldnt read a novel but he could read a blueprint and a calipers and run a machine center like few other people. He said basically if the union wasnt there ownership would walk all over us (and they would have). I sat through enough negotiations to get a good feel for the last two clowns that bought and ruined the place as the dedicated workers looked on in horror.

People were cheated out of vacation and personal time to the tune in some cases of 20 thousand dollars. Our last checks were paid to us at minimum wage. In one of the worst economies in the country there were no other opportunites, zero, zip nada, nothing, Divorces and suicides and families ripped apart as people left to find work somewhere besides walmart or the shoe store at the mall.

Nope these guys busted there butts for years and slackers were immediately found out and dealt with by us, the union membership. We did everything we could to keep that plant alive but we could not out work the greed of a bunch of scandulous thieves. As a lifelong Republican this is the only issue where I break from the party line. My philosopy is I support the union I am in

Remember an apple hanging from a tree has no value until it is harvested and taken to market. Workers have a vested interest and rights in the ongoing concern for which they labor daily.
Exactly, the owners do own all the resources they need to turn the profit. there are those pesky humans in the way. One day they will have robots, but then they won't spend the money to do maintenance on them and they will fall into disrepair and we will hear the wailing about how the robot doctors are killing the industry!!!!

Old 07-05-2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
When it comes down to doing a job, there are two choices. You can be the DO'EE or the DO'ER. Take your pick as to what makes you happy. Steve
Well the men that worked the steel mills in Bethlehem Pa were doers, and so were the miners in the coal regions. and to hear their efforts so disdained as lazy and slothful is just disgusting.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:55 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Ahhh, you're an employer. Well no wonder you hate unions, you want cheap and obediant help.

Hope your head doesn't hurt too bad in the morning.
I really cant imagine what it must be like to go through life with such an ingrained chip on your shoulder. The us vs them attitude. So a serious question here tom, you really think that an employee should not have to obey the rules of it's employer? You keep throwing the cheap and obediant phrase out there ? Also, what you obviously fail to understand is I have the flexibility to do all kinds of things for my employees that do well, my guy's would tell you to go pound sand if you came and tried to sell them the union deal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies