Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 01:38 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Thanks for this post, Ani. After I read it, I read what the posters on the paper's website were saying. It seemed strange to me, that the paper never made mention that the many of this gang in particular are illegal. So, I Googled "DOJ statement regarding Charlotte gang bust" and got 5,180 hits. The first several all related that DOJ says that many of the members are illegal, and that 2 of those arrested here were additionally charged with returning here after deportation.

My point is, that we have enough domestic problems, without the added insult of illegal gang members. I am not saying all illegals belong to gangs. I know that rounding up everyone here illegally is probably not practical, and would certainly be a huge undertaking, but amnesty is not the answer either. We need to empower our police to conduct checks if a person's nationality is in doubt. We need to give ICE the tools and manpower necessary to prevent illegal entry, and remove those who do not belong. We need to actively hunt people who out stay their authorization to be in this country.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it...
Hoagie - I read those comments, too! People are really frustrated that it is like we want to whitewash the fact that a lot of these gang members are illegal. As I said earlier - of course - not ALL of them are but MS-13 sure is. And they are heinous.

We have to get realistic about the illegal immigration to this country. I get very upset when I think about families being deported who have been here a long time . . . but then I think . . . what would Germany, France, Belgium, Switzerland, etc do to me if I managed to sneak in to their country - illegally? They would boot me out, regardless of how long I had been there.

No easy answers, but let's at least stop the problems at the borders - NOW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
So you want to repeat Nazi Germany or Communist Russia where people can be stopped on the street and asked for "papers"???
Well. I know you are asking that question of Hoagie and not me - but - what do they do in France, Switzerland, Germany, Russia, etc NOW? I mean - if they found out I had sneaked over a border . . . what do they do NOW?

Old 07-07-2008, 01:43 PM

33 posts, read 123,605 times
it was really shocking to me to find out just how big of a gang problem there is in Charlotte. I've read a lot lately about how street crimes for the past few years have been moving out of the larger cities (L.A/New York) and into the mid-sized metros (Charlotte, Memphis...). I guess it was just easier for them to flourish in areas like this because no one was really expecting it. Also with the growth we've seen there are more oportunities for crime and more kids being influenced by it.

Theres my liberal view point again though, the problems start with kids from the streets- in my opinion thats how they need to be stopped. Give these kids some alternatives at a young age so they can see there's more out there.

**stepping off soapbox**

Old 07-07-2008, 01:48 PM

Switzerland is even strict on those APPLYING for asylum - legally trying to enter the country:

Asylum applicants who cannot produce identity papers within 48 hours without a credible reason are automatically excluded. Rejected asylum seekers are barred from regular welfare benefits and qualify only for food and shelter.

Rejected asylum seekers who refuse to leave the country face prison terms of up to two years.

The amended law on foreigners limits immigration for citizens outside the European Union and the European Free Trade Association (Efta) to highly skilled labour.

The government says the law is designed to prevent abuses in the system caused by non-refugees finding ways to stay indefinitely in Switzerland. It makes it easier to send home people whose asylum requests have been rejected, which the government says will allow it to devote more resources to real refugees.

Those refusing to leave despite a rejected application can now be denied social welfare. Adults deemed to be only posing as refugees can be imprisoned for up to two years, and children can be kept in state custody for one year even if they are never charged with a crime.

Swiss Asylum, Immigration Laws Ratified - washingtonpost.com

Old 07-07-2008, 01:58 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Quote:
So you want to repeat Nazi Germany or Communist Russia where people can be stopped on the street and asked for "papers"???
There is a big difference between wanting to prevent illegal entry in to the country and wanting to eradicate Jews. Would you prefer that we let whomever we want enter the country whenever they want? Perhaps if there had been more resources in place, the people responsible for 9/11 would have been in thier native countrys, and not terrorizing American citizens.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:02 PM

830 posts, read 1,529,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
There is a big difference between wanting to prevent illegal entry in to the country and wanting to eradicate Jews. Would you prefer that we let whomever we want enter the country whenever they want? Perhaps if there had been more resources in place, the people responsible for 9/11 would have been in thier native countrys, and not terrorizing American citizens.
Weren't most of the 9/11 hijackers here legally...with legal drivers licenses, etc?

That being said, you advocated actively hunting people. How would you go about doing that - stopping people who didn't look "American?"

Old 07-07-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnygrl View Post
it was really shocking to me to find out just how big of a gang problem there is in Charlotte. I've read a lot lately about how street crimes for the past few years have been moving out of the larger cities (L.A/New York) and into the mid-sized metros (Charlotte, Memphis...). I guess it was just easier for them to flourish in areas like this because no one was really expecting it. Also with the growth we've seen there are more oportunities for crime and more kids being influenced by it.

Theres my liberal view point again though, the problems start with kids from the streets- in my opinion thats how they need to be stopped. Give these kids some alternatives at a young age so they can see there's more out there.

**stepping off soapbox**
And, my conservative point of view says you are right about gangs and kids from the streets. But, that's where we diverge. It is the responsibility of the parents to teach their children right from wrong. It is the parents job to discipline their children when they make bad choices. Rather than spending money on entertaining these "street kids", perhaps our money would be better spent on educating their parents on their responsibilities, and holding them accountable for their inactions.

I am loathe to believe that in this day and age, that kids born in to poverty are relinquished to that circumstance their entire lives. There are countless examples of adults who came from terrible circumstances, but choose to better themselves, rather than succumb to the pressure of gang mentality.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Weren't most of the 9/11 hijackers here legally...with legal drivers licenses, etc?

That being said, you advocated actively hunting people. How would you go about doing that - stopping people who didn't look "American?"
Actually, if I remember correctly, most of the 9/11 hijackers were here on expired student visas. This is exactly the type of thing I meant hunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies