Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 09:21 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,862,318 times

Advertisements

Charlotte Observer | 07/07/2008 | Suspected gangster jailed <br>after stand-off (http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/702534.html - broken link)

This was literally 2 streets away from our house!! We live in a nice, quiet subdivision- good, hard working middle class folks, in new houses. Frankly, this scares the crap out of me! It just goes to show that gangs aren't confined to inner city or lower income neighborhoods. It really is time to start cracking down on gangs, and stop the revolving door at the jails!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 09:22 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,308,391 times
Preach it brother!

Old 07-07-2008, 09:26 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,433,957 times
I agree - crime can happen anywhere - but wasn't this guy just hiding out - he didn't actually LIVE there, right? (I am not sure what "hiding out" means as used in this article . . . did he take someone hostage and hide out in their house . . . or was he laying low w/ a friend - the article didn't make that clear).

Old 07-07-2008, 09:30 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,949,141 times
And not to get on a political tangent but I think Mayor Pat is the only government official that is really ready to take this stand.

It really is scary. Have they passed the law yet that makes gang members as terrorists?

Old 07-07-2008, 09:35 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,292,736 times
A lot of what can/will happen to these gangs is ultimately up to "us" the people. We need to be heard---we need to let our officials know how we feel. I get frusterated too as I'm sure many of you do----do we really get heard? All we can do it try!! Make some calls, write some emails and letters. It's time something was done now! These gangs have all but taken over other cities/states so let's not let this happen here in our beautiful city/state. There are just to many laws protecting these gangs and terrorists---what about us the hard working law-abiding citizens???? Don't we deserve to be protected too?

Old 07-07-2008, 09:37 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,862,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I agree - crime can happen anywhere - but wasn't this guy just hiding out - he didn't actually LIVE there, right? (I am not sure what "hiding out" means as used in this article . . . did he take someone hostage and hide out in their house . . . or was he laying low w/ a friend - the article didn't make that clear).
The scuttlebutt in the neighborhood is that he had broken in to the house, and triggered the alarm. When the POC was contacted by the alarm company, they dispatched the police. Allegedly, the police showed up and the standoff ensued. I'm a bit skeptical of this though, as it just doesn't all add up. I believe he was the only person in the house.

I guess the thing that just really gets stuck in my craw, is that these MS-13 punks are primarily illegals. So, not only do they not belong here, but they have the audacity to intimidate and harass those of us that do.

While I know it is just a small part of the gang problem, I feel that the government really needs to crackdown illegal immigrants. How can you possibly justify 12 million people in a country illegally?

Old 07-07-2008, 09:43 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,930,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
How can you possibly justify 12 million people in a country illegally?
I'd start by heavily fining the businesses that employ them.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:47 AM

Here is link on bill's status. We need to write our reps and tell them we want the bill passed. It has been sent back to committee, which is short for "filed on back burner and may never see light of day."

North Carolina General Assembly - House Bill 274 Information/History (2007-2008 Session)

If you do a search, you will find many liberal advocacy groups who are AGAINST this bill b/c they say it unfairly targets minorities.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
The scuttlebutt in the neighborhood is that he had broken in to the house, and triggered the alarm. When the POC was contacted by the alarm company, they dispatched the police. Allegedly, the police showed up and the standoff ensued. I'm a bit skeptical of this though, as it just doesn't all add up. I believe he was the only person in the house.

I guess the thing that just really gets stuck in my craw, is that these MS-13 punks are primarily illegals. So, not only do they not belong here, but they have the audacity to intimidate and harass those of us that do.

While I know it is just a small part of the gang problem, I feel that the government really needs to crackdown illegal immigrants. How can you possibly justify 12 million people in a country illegally?
There are estimates that range as high as 20 M illegals. You explain it to me! And I wish someone would nail down our Presidential candidates on just what they propose we do about the situation. I am all for legal immigration and totally against illegals sneaking across our borders. I personally don't know anyone who is in favor or illegals sneaking in!

This is one issue where We, the People are not being heard, IMHO.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:51 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,292,736 times
Yes anifani, they have their advocacy groups there to protect these kind of people but who is there to advocate for us? I agree with you----we need to be heard!! Good post and information anifani!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies