Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 04:04 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,462,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
For real? Classy.
His words might not be the BEST but sociology does have a ladder of sorts that cultures go through that show an evolution in their sophistication.

A society that kills their women because they are dating someone the family doesn't approve of is pretty LOW on the scale. A society that has to tell their people which hand to wipe their butt with, again is pretty low on the scale.

AND just to make a point, my sociology teacher was a Muslim from Africa.

People (anyone) who blindly follow their traditions to the point where they have the nerve to kill their own children and then say its because their god told them to, are people we don't need in our culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 04:17 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,985,911 times
Lindsey, you totally missed the point of karfar's (and mine) post. We referred to his use of the phrase ".....Islam and other culturally retarded places" which really is a terribly offensive thing to say and just goes to show his ignorance and lack of education when it comes to world culture.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:19 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,410,271 times
Immigration, I don't mind. Ignorance, I abhor. Any man who kills his daughter (for ANY reason) is an absoulte lunatic and represents the highest form of ignorance.

This particular indian man obviously falls in this category and it appears as though he has some serious psychological problems. What a shame. I have to assume that not all indians behave in this manner. I wonder how many of these beautiful indian women conform to this arranged marriage tradition out of FEAR. Not good.

I once knew an Afghan woman who had the prettiest eyes that I've ever seen on a woman. She was incredibly beautiful. We became good friends and she cried when her father told her who she had to marry. She even talked of suicide. Tragic.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Lindsey, you totally missed the point of karfar's (and mine) post. We referred to his use of the phrase ".....Islam and other culturally retarded places" which really is a terribly offensive thing to say and just goes to show his ignorance and lack of education when it comes to world culture.
I agree with you, those are not the best words however I agree with the spirit of the message. Its not how I would put it.

I do however agree that it is culturally backward to treat women the way they do, to require women to cover themselves, to say its OK to mutilate your women to keep them faithful and to make it legal to kill them if your daughters don't marry who you want.

The need of a culture to subjegate, use and abuse their women is so counterproductive and smacks of a stunted emotional situation in the growth of the group that does the controlling.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:36 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,008,739 times
Honor schmonor, that guy is a loose cannon. I say lock him up!

Old 07-07-2008, 05:53 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,675,163 times
why does everything have to come back to immigration with you people?!?!

i have absolutely no problem with immigrants coming to this great country of ours or the way they dress. tho i do question wearing the hijabs and floor length dresses in 100+ LA heat, but otherwise it does not bother me. they can keep their dress. as long as they follow our US laws.

this man killed his daughter, for some ridiculous reason, and he will be dealt with accordingly.

this has happened quite a few times in north america. canada has seen a few cases of this and sadly this is not the first time it has happened here in the US.

it is the worst thing for a father/brother/uncle/mob to kill women (and men) for choosing who they love. its out dated and socially unacceptable here, but i would not go as far as generalizing a whole group based on these cases. i think the rational muslims would be opposed to this type of killing... dont know tho, havent polled them.

either way, no need to generalize. imagine if i felt that way because of susan smith from NC(?). the mom that drowned her children and blamed a phantom black man. plenty other mothers have committed infanticide... dam those southern people and other culturally retared places

dont make sense do it?

this is a tragedy and many people are speaking out about this type of stuff here in the US. but i would urge all of you who are trully horrified by this to also be horrified when it happens around the world.

tho we cant change how cultures a million miles away do things, we can bring awareness, like in the case of female circumcision. one way is to donate to a charity doing work for womans rights here in the US and abroad.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:04 PM

I have always heard that when you become an American citizen that you have to swear that you have never participated in the persecution of people based on their race. I heard read it was placed there to keep the Nazis from coming to hide here in the US.

I don't see why something similar can't be placed in the process about honor killing, female circumcision etc.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:22 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,590,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Again. Very sad Steve. Very sad indeed. Im embarassed for you.
Please! I call then the way I see it! I don't couch my posts with PC based crap!

Old 07-07-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I have always heard that when you become an American citizen that you have to swear that you have never participated in the persecution of people based on their race. I heard read it was placed there to keep the Nazis from coming to hide here in the US.

I don't see why something similar can't be placed in the process about honor killing, female circumcision etc.
Good idea, but like everything else that makes perfect sense, it will never happen in this PC based society; too many offended special interests in play! Besides, illegal immigrants aren't part of the citizenship process!

Old 07-07-2008, 06:39 PM

the one
Quote:
why does everything have to come back to immigration with you people?!?!

i have absolutely no problem with immigrants coming to this great country of ours or the way they dress. tho i do question wearing the hijabs and floor length dresses in 100+ LA heat, but otherwise it does not bother me. they can keep their dress. as long as they follow our US laws.

this man killed his daughter, for some ridiculous reason, and he will be dealt with accordingly.

this has happened quite a few times in north america. canada has seen a few cases of this and sadly this is not the first time it has happened here in the US.

it is the worst thing for a father/brother/uncle/mob to kill women (and men) for choosing who they love. its out dated and socially unacceptable here, but i would not go as far as generalizing a whole group based on these cases. i think the rational muslims would be opposed to this type of killing... dont know tho, havent polled them.
There in lies the problem! Many of these immigrants follow religious law (Sharia law which trumps secular law), unlike earlier immigrants that were assimilated into US culture, many of the new immigrants (illegal and otherwise), follow the cultural and religious laws of their homeland and disregard (I'm being kind!) US laws and American culture!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies