Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 02:53 PM

495 posts, read 748,074 times

Advertisements

Despite the Supreme Court’s recent decision finding DC’s handgun control laws unconstitutional, Maryland gun dealers are being forced to turn away hundreds of DC citizens trying to purchase handguns to protect themselves.

Link to rest.
(http://unfreestate.com/2008/07/04/md-gunshops-forced-to-turn-away-many-dc-buyers/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 03:36 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
"City officials are saying it should take about three weeks to work out the details:, which include what kinds of guns will be legal, and how will the registration process work."

Looks like they maybe already be trying to put the old laws back into effect.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:48 PM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,025 times
It makes me wonder what we got from this "landmark" decision. During oral argument, Mr. Dellinger argued (in response to Justice Alito’s question regarding the purpose of the Second Amendment) that it was wanted to retake state authority over the militia; to which Justice Scalia stated: "They got nothing at all, not everything they wanted. They got nothing at all." District of Columbia v. Heller, Transcript, Oral Argument (March 18, 2008) After studying the court’s opinion by Justice Scalia, I am convinced that we got nothing at all as well.This decision will spawn more gun laws (and even more litigation), which can only lead to the lessening of our rights. I fear that we shall all soon find ourselves the more "well regulated."

Old 07-07-2008, 06:56 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
I have no issue with regestration of hand guns or any gun for that matter. I have no issue with a city that wants to know who has what weapons.
I do have issues with a city that says a 22 cal is acceptable but anything larger is not. As long as it is purchased legally, used responsibly and stored in a safe place out of reach of young children what does it matter what caliber it is or how many rounds it can hold?
Crack down on those who decide to use their weapons illegally. I would support the death penalty for those who use a gun while committing a crime. Why punish everyone for the sake of a few?

Old 07-07-2008, 08:48 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I have no issue with regestration of hand guns or any gun for that matter. I have no issue with a city that wants to know who has what weapons.
I do have issues with a city that says a 22 cal is acceptable but anything larger is not. As long as it is purchased legally, used responsibly and stored in a safe place out of reach of young children what does it matter what caliber it is or how many rounds it can hold?
Crack down on those who decide to use their weapons illegally. I would support the death penalty for those who use a gun while committing a crime. Why punish everyone for the sake of a few?
Yes! I feel the same way!

Old 07-08-2008, 07:17 AM

495 posts, read 748,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
It makes me wonder what we got from this "landmark" decision. During oral argument, Mr. Dellinger argued (in response to Justice Alito’s question regarding the purpose of the Second Amendment) that it was wanted to retake state authority over the militia; to which Justice Scalia stated: "They got nothing at all, not everything they wanted. They got nothing at all." District of Columbia v. Heller, Transcript, Oral Argument (March 18, 2008) After studying the court’s opinion by Justice Scalia, I am convinced that we got nothing at all as well.This decision will spawn more gun laws (and even more litigation), which can only lead to the lessening of our rights. I fear that we shall all soon find ourselves the more "well regulated."
Exactly. What good is the Second Amendment if localities like DC try to deny it through excessive regulations.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:28 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Makes sense for the most part. But then you hit the slippery slope of trying to define a "crime". Some saw Bernard Goetz as simply defending himself. Others saw a paranoid rogue. With your law, the right jury could send him or someone similiar to a date with the gurney and needle.

Anyway, as someone else mentioned, the City Council is reworking the law to conform to the SCOTUS ruling. It does not happen overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies