Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:05 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times

Advertisements

Saddam threatened our currency, not the oil. He was still selling oil, just not in US dollars. Iran is now doing the same. Coincidence?

Iran wanted to open their oil bourse in 2007 just as we were preparing to surge a few thousand troops into Iraq. Due to some undersea internet cables being "sabotaged", they were unable to do so.

Iran oil bourse scheduled | Energy Bulletin

Iran's oil gambit - and potential affront to the US | csmonitor.com

Again, the more you know about what's going on in the Middle East, the better you can understand why neither candidate wants to leave Iraq. McCain has shackled himself to the 100 year theory comparing it to Japan and Germany. Obama says he'll start removing troops as the situation warrants it. I would really like to hear either of them comment on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
The media parrot supports his arguments with DNC talking points and sounds like an Olberman/huffington sound byte. Try thinking for yourself, maybe smack those to braincells together and see if they light up
Take your own advice. I don't trust the US media to tell us the truth about anything. Instead, why not read some international sources. Basra, when the British pulled back, became a peaceful area with Iraqi police doing police work, not military intervention. If we left Iraq starting today, the dollar would rise, the price of oil would drop, and we could begin working on salvaging what is left of our broken economy.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:11 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,345 times
Allow me to help you here woulda shoulda coulda. The Economy is in a recession, it happens once every 20 years or so. Our economy issnt broken insspite of what georg soros is telling you

Take your own advice. I don't trust the US media to tell us the truth about anything. Instead, why not read some international sources. Basra, when the British pulled back, became a peaceful area with Iraqi police doing police work, not military intervention. If we left Iraq starting today, the dollar would rise, the price of oil would drop, and we could begin working on salvaging what is left of our broken economy.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:13 AM

Here we go, why go through all this again when I drove the point home with logic and reason last night.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Allow me to help you here woulda shoulda coulda. The Economy is in a recession, it happens once every 20 years or so. Our economy issnt broken insspite of what georg soros is telling you

I'm sorry, you mistakenly think I am a Democrat. I'm not. I'm one of the few Republicans left that still wants a smaller government, lower taxes, reduced spending, less intervention in the affairs of other countries, and actually understand how the economy functions. I don't play partisan politics. I want what is best for my country, not some political party.

As for the economy, it's broken. The Canadian dollar is almost worth more than ours. Gas prices are at record levels. Gold is at record levels, oil is at record levels. Remove the Federal Reserve, like Reagan said he would in 1980 when he ran for President, and we would have slower, but consistent growth without the need for some privatized governmental agency to control our currency. Any idea what the M3 is these days?

Old 07-08-2008, 09:15 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
Quote:
The media parrot supports his arguments with DNC talking points and sounds like an Olberman/huffington sound byte. Try thinking for yourself, maybe smack those to braincells together and see if they light up
Translation: "I don't have any rebuttals to your arguments so I must resort to infantile personal attacks. Please do not school me and spin me in circles again.

Yes I do not really understand what the strategy is but my President tells me it is the right thing to do. Repeat after me.

Stay the Course. Do not Cut and Run. Get them Over there, They will not Get us Over Here.

Stay the Course. Do not Cut and Run. Get them Over there, They will not Get us Over Here.

Stay the Course. Do not Cut and Run. Get them Over there, They will not Get us Over Here. "

Old 07-08-2008, 09:20 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
We're going to be over there permanently to protect our interests, they might as well get used to the idea. We'll slow down the combat when it's feasible to.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:23 AM

So the war is what has runied our economy. I thought it had to do with the destruction of our maunfacturing base, free trade and weak trade agreements with our trading partners among other things that happened long before dubya was in office. Getting out of Iraq doesnt magically fix everything economically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
I'm sorry, you mistakenly think I am a Democrat. I'm not. I'm one of the few Republicans left that still wants a smaller government, lower taxes, reduced spending, less intervention in the affairs of other countries, and actually understand how the economy functions. I don't play partisan politics. I want what is best for my country, not some political party.

As for the economy, it's broken. The Canadian dollar is almost worth more than ours. Gas prices are at record levels. Gold is at record levels, oil is at record levels. Remove the Federal Reserve, like Reagan said he would in 1980 when he ran for President, and we would have slower, but consistent growth without the need for some privatized governmental agency to control our currency. Any idea what the M3 is these days?

Old 07-08-2008, 09:27 AM

lobs an insult at me so I lob one back and now he calls me on it.

nah nah nah nah nah nah

Really if you want to discuss the issue make a cogent point usning logic and reason, something you have yet to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Translation: "I don't have any rebuttals to your arguments so I must resort to infantile personal attacks. Please do not school me and spin me in circles again.

Yes I do not really understand what the strategy is but my President tells me it is the right thing to do. Repeat after me.

Stay the Course. Do not Cut and Run. Get them Over there, They will not Get us Over Here. "

Old 07-08-2008, 09:31 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,746,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
p.s. Obama now opposes a timetable for withdrawal, he flip flopped on this issue about a week ago. You might want to do research on where your own candidate stands TODAY before trying to point out the opponents stance.

On April 10, Obama told an Indiana crowd it may take "16 months to two years" to remove combat troops. In recent speeches, he's left out the phrase "16 months" entirely.

Obama on Iraq, take two - CNN.com
LOL, what time frame has mccain given for the troops to come home? A hundred years!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies