Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 07:44 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Good point. Most of the most rabid anti-illegal immigration talk in the entire country is from Christians. And you are right there is a lot of racist undertones to the language.

I heard on one station a "Pastor" saying we must get all the Mexican trash out of our Land! And then right into "God Bless Us, Amen, Hallelujah!"

My wife and I were cracking up.
That is SO sick.

I guess because I was raised among them I am more negatively effected emotionally by these people but I start feeling trapped and almost depressed when I have to hear things like this. It brings back very bad memories of my childhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 07:54 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
That is SO sick.

I guess because I was raised among them I am more negatively effected emotionally by these people but I start feeling trapped and almost depressed when I have to hear things like this. It brings back very bad memories of my childhood.
You and me both.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:08 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Question is, would you still oppose Christianity if Christians were supportive of the homosexual lifestyle?
It's difficult for me to understand this question because I can think of maybe one or two Christians I know personally who have a problem with homosexuality, and some I know happen to be gay.

I'm not a fan of Christianity or organized religion in general, but obviously, the sentence above shows that the reason isn't related to views on homosexuality, though I do think the Old Testament isn't fond of the idea. (Note: I have never read the Bible in its entirety, though). Anyway, that of course doesn't mean I actively go out and tell people to stop practicing religion, as that would be insane.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:13 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,207 times
I think we must be careful to make a distinction between Christians and the minority of repressed, hate-spewing, right-wing fundamentalists bigots who call themselves Christians. Just like Islam cannot accurately be described by the extremism of the few.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:20 PM

33,537 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
I think we must be careful to make a distinction between Christians and the minority of repressed, hate-spewing, right-wing fundamentalists bigots who call themselves Christians. Just like Islam cannot accurately be described by the extremism of the few.
That's exactly correct. I think the fundamentalist sect is in the minority, but unfortunately they seem to be much more vocal, spreading their hate in the name of their god under the pretense of spreading the "word".

Old 07-08-2008, 08:23 PM

Which kind of makes them not Christians at all....

Old 07-08-2008, 08:23 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
I completely agree, but you also have to admit its not just christians either. Religious zealots come in every flavor.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:28 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
I'm an atheist. I hate the whole brainwashing gig that religion perpetuates.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:41 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times
So does anyone think the religious right will have much real influence on this year's election?? I personally don't think so.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:44 PM

I hope they alienate their own membership so much with their vitriol that they will experience a backlash at the polls. Thank god for secret polling!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies