Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 05:24 AM

11 posts, read 21,704 times

Advertisements

Didn't anyone at the White House tell Michelle Obama that you are not suppose to touch the Queen of England unless it is a formal handshake? She had the nerve to put her arm around her. What do you make of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 05:27 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Obviously not as much as you.
I haven't seen anything on BBC-TV or the British news about it.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:34 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,863,269 times
a simple act of kindness and even thats not good enough. What's next she wore a dress around a lesbian? she cried with a cancer patient?
Ever notice how when you buy a particular car all of a sudden you notive how many of those cars there are? its because you are focusing on that. What does it say about you when all you focus on is a "problem". isn't that all you are going to see?
The queen's a big girl she can deal with being touched, she use to drive trucks in the war to provide aid to the wounded troops. She might welcome some kindness in a world she gets little from.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:36 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,633,251 times
So what is the big deal exatly ? A human being touched another human being ?! Big Whoop.
Mrs Windsor is just like anybody else. I am not a monarchist but the Queen does seem sensible enough not to find that sort of thing offensive.
We communicate in different ways, I assume Michelle Obama is a very tactile person, so why should anyone take offense ? ER is hardly made of porcelain, she handled tanks during the war I think she can handle someone's arm ...

Another perfect example why the Monarchy is an outdated and archaic system of governance. Unelected head of States have no place in a modern democracy. "Lese majeste" is not something which one should really worry about in 2009.

What kind of society are we living in if etiquette procludes any kind of human contact ?

Surely we should be treating all human beings with politeness, warmth and dignity. I do not see how putting your arm around an 80 year woman is an infraction to these.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:37 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Oh, golly, I thought that was what the damned revolution was all about, you know giving the King the royal finger. The Royals almost got cut off by their subjects, maybe she needed a hug.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:44 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,947,393 times
I agree it seems trivial - but I do love the Globe and Mail's headline on this:

MICHELLE'S FAUX PAW? (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20090402.G20QUEEN02/TPStory/International - broken link)

Old 04-02-2009, 06:26 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,571,229 times
I love how americans are always attacked and criticized for not going along with other countries customs but heaven forbid another country try to go along with ours! Americans hug, get over it - other countries do the kiss-kiss, other countries bow. What exactly is the big deal?

I doubt the queen cares one way or the other but I don't like where the media is going with this. I'm British-American, I'm liberal, but I am sick of the American bashing!

Old 04-02-2009, 06:31 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,209,672 times
why would anyone think she would respect what she is suposed to do or not do
she is an Obama and she will do what she wants

Old 04-02-2009, 06:34 AM

956 posts, read 1,235,199 times
I can understand why many would say this is "no big deal" because the Queen is British royalty and we are American.

Still, it's simple etiquette which anyone who is going to meet the Queen is informed about. We are guests in her country. I'm sure Mrs. Obama was told the rules of etiquette where the Queen is concerned and for some reason she either chose to ignore that or simply forgot which is probably more likely.

But the fact is that as First Lady she is held to a higher standard and as she travels the world with our President, she really should concentrate on the cultures of different countries and try not to offend anyone. She is effectively a diplomat representing our country on foreign soil. If she wants to set new standards here in the U.S. that's one thing ... should not do it in other countries.

So is it a huge deal? No. And the gift of the DVD's that would not work on England's equipment wasn't a big deal. And the gift of an IPod to the Queen isn't a big deal. But add it all up and to me it shows a lack of thoughtfulness and common courtesy.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:35 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,864,685 times
Michelle Obama = Crass and low class.

Thank God she wasn't sleeveless when she hugged The Queen. The Queen I'm sure would frown upon sweaty pits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies