Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 04:51 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,484,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
As someone who has been to ANWR - yes, drill. There will not be any enviornmental harm

And, as someone who gets an annual check from the State of Alaska, I want my royalties to increase!
Yes there will be harm. For example, to the caribou herd.

Annual check from AK? Are you talking about the permanent fund dividends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 04:51 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Here's an example of the sorts of problems you get with offshore drilling (are you going to tell me Florida doesn't get hurricanes next?):
Tell me please - how many platforms in the Gulf caused Environmental Damage as a result of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita?

Old 07-14-2008, 04:52 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times
Quote:
No, it's the short sighted people who think drilling for our own oil will solve our problems. It won't, we don't have enough, the environmental destruction is not worth the 11 years our own crude oil would hold out. Open your eyes and read the information that's all readily available on this. People didn't get the message in the 70's, it's perhaps too much to expect for people to get it now. We had 30 years to work on a solution to get off oil and it didn't happen. There was almost no interest once the foreign oil started flowing readily again. People have been short sighted fools and it's catching up to them now.
So you reject the notion of tapping our own resources as part of the solution for our dependence on foreign petroleum?

If so, you're the short-sighted one.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Yes there will be harm. For example, to the caribou herd.

Annual check from AK? Are you talking about the permanent fund dividends?
How many caribou have been harmed by the Alaska Oil Pipeline?

The check varies each year - this year I think it is around $1700 each - so between my wife and I, we get paid to have a home in Alaska -

Old 07-14-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
So you reject the notion of tapping our own resources as part of the solution for our dependence on foreign petroleum?

If so, you're the short-sighted one.
How do you consider it a "solution"? We have 11 years' worth of crude. After that, nocrude oil to fall back on domestically. What exactly is your plan to get off oil in that 11 year window? Or is it to stay on oil?

Old 07-14-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
How do you consider it a "solution"? We have 11 years' worth of crude. After that, nocrude oil to fall back on domestically. What exactly is your plan to get off oil in that 11 year window? Or is it to stay on oil?
When you include the Canadian Oil - which our companies are JVing on, we have over 100 years work

And, with other domestic resources to be developed in Texas, Kansas, Colorado etc - we have far more than 11 years worth of oil

Old 07-14-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
How many caribou have been harmed by the Alaska Oil Pipeline?
The pipeline or drilling and extraction? The caribou population has decreased in the area where the drilling/etc. goes on, but increased elsewhere. The pipeline has had less impact (some but not severe) because the original design for it was modified to protect the environment some (otherwise, it would have caused major problems).

Quote:
The check varies each year - this year I think it is around $1700 each - so between my wife and I, we get paid to have a home in Alaska -
I didn't realize you had a home up there (based on your location in your profile). How much time do you usually spend up there as opposed to the sun-hot south?

Old 07-14-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
When you include the Canadian Oil - which our companies are JVing on, we have over 100 years work

And, with other domestic resources to be developed in Texas, Kansas, Colorado etc - we have far more than 11 years worth of oil
No, 11 years' worth of domestic crude oil. I think you're thinking of oil shales and such. You do understand that with oil shale it isn't oil really and requires a lot more, expensive, processing, than crude. It might supply fuel but it won't be cheap. Possibly higher than current prices if we switched to it rather than crude.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:04 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times
Quote:
Any decrease in the amount of oil we import gives us time and economic breathing space for the development of viable alternatives.

You speak of the "11 year supply" as if it were some sort of mathematical certainty. It is not -- it is, instead, your side's best guess. No one knows what reserves exist until full-scale drilling and testing takes place. Besides, reductions in consumption and other prudent measures may well extend the supply well into the future. We just don't know until we scientiifcally explore and have some hard evidence.

Given our nation's current dependence on petroleum, it is the height of absurdity to argue that we should ignore additional reserves within our own sovereign territory.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I didn't realize you had a home up there (based on your location in your profile). How much time do you usually spend up there as opposed to the sun-hot south?
We will, starting next summer, spend at least 4 months a year - in Sitka
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies