Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2007, 12:44 AM

922 posts, read 1,908,973 times

Advertisements

funfaler, thanks for the info I will check out the gunowners site. I do shooting in the NW, have been to some freedom shoots(full auto), not aware of any appleseed though. gotta keep trained like the swiss. put in 5 yrs army, vet etc. so im good to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 12:49 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
all the swiss men have guns, are trained to use them and its a peaceful country. wonder why? all those guns and low crime? not like wa,dc THE most resrictive on guns, none allowed. yet the highest crime? hmm.. where are the swiss when you need them? so total gun ownership by the citizens works!
It has more to do with the extremely low rate of poverty in Switzerland.

I really don't accept either the pro gun or anti gun argument about the correlation between guns and crime rates. There are other factors at work. If Connecticut instituted lenient gun laws, it would still be a low crime state, and if Texas instituted strict gun control, it would still be a high crime state. I don't really think that gun laws make much of a difference. There are other factors at work.

BTW, the highest crime rate of any city in the US is in St.Louis, not in DC.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:16 AM

guns and crime rates dont correlate? do you base that on fact or your FEELINGS? you might want to do alittle research then. as states that allowed right to carry crime went down. why do you think guys like johnny the bull said he liked gun laws? cause only criminals would have them. dont fool your self that only you have the right answers to this problem, youll stand alone.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:32 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
mark6052,

If you were required to belong to the USA army and go in for two weeks training every year in order to own a gun in the USA (which, would be mandatory -- you wouldn't have a choice -- even if you didn't want to have a gun) -- would you be willing to do it?

If so, then sign up! I would welcome Swiss-style gun laws in the USA! Why don't you just enlist in the military right now and you'd be that much closer in helping me to promote this idea! I'm sure the NRA is going to get right behind it too! After all, everyone knows that Switzerland is a very safe country because everyone is allowed (forced) to carry guns (and be in the military).

Old 01-27-2007, 01:47 AM

were you ever in the military? I spent 5yrs, went to vietnam, got shot at and missed, thank you GOD. all of americans should serve, so nobody takes for granted they have a free country. the swiss are neutral country right? or am i confusing them with some other country. anyway, what would satisfy you so that I could have guns unrestricted and anti-gunners could shut-up. please dont try convince me about la being low crime. I work very closly with various law agencys, it only makes you look foolish to somebody like me that knows the facts. But please take a late nite walk thru compton, or east la. or frisco, if you survive, lets hear back from you.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:21 AM

Quote:
But please take a late nite walk thru compton, or east la. or frisco, if you survive, lets hear back from you.
Ha! I've already been there, done that, got the t-shirt -- and I'm here talking to you. I'm just not a very scared person and I don't need a gun to not be scared.

Once, I was in a place after midnight that would have been considered by most to be very dangerous. As I was stepping around the sleeping people on the sidewalk, I heard footsteps running behind me. I turned around and saw a security guard running after me. He was so terrified that something was going to happen to me! And I felt perfectly safe!

I've never carried a gun because I think I would be afraid of it if it were taken from me. I would only carry a weapon that I'm not afraid of.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:08 AM

137 posts, read 185,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I really don't accept either the pro gun or anti gun argument about the correlation between guns and crime rates.
There have been several "case studies" on American cities that show a direct correlation to gun ownership and crime rates. One of the classic and straight forward examples is Cincinnati, OH. Your average, normal midwest city. Half the city enacted a "shall issue" conceal carry of deadly weapons (firearms) law, while the other half of the city kept its ban on concealled carry of firearms. For each year that this difference in gun laws existed, the violent crime rates (including crimes with guns) for the "shall issue" side went down, while the violent crime rates on the anti-selfdefense side went up. Criminals know where it is safest to work, they may be criminals, but they also care dearly for their own hide.

UB50--you seem fixated on enlarging our standing army. There is no need for anyone to join the army to properly understand, use and effectively apply firearms. Actually the military is not the best place to effectively learn to use firearms. They do a good job with what they teach, but they don't go far enough to to truely give people Rifleman skills, which are the skills that are needed to secure and defend Liberty here at home. The Founders understood that a standing army is dangerous to Liberty, thus their insistance that is only be funded in 2 year increments, and the inclusion of the Second Amendment, to secure the private ownership of firearms, by "the People", so the need of a standing army would be lessened, if not eliminated. The Swiss have a very novel concept, and while I admire it, there is no need to emulate it by law, just keep the laws restricting gun ownership off the books and you will have a very capable militia in the ready.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:06 AM

137 posts, read 185,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I've never carried a gun because I think I would be afraid of it if it were taken from me. I would only carry a weapon that I'm not afraid of.
I think we have found the root of your desire to rid "us" of our firearms, you are scared of them. Well, perhaps the solution, rather than making the rest of the country conform to to your fears would be to either get counceling to get you through your fears OR...maybe get some training in the use of firearms, practice, and learn to be the master of the inanimate object, rather than it master you.

But this it typical of America today. "I am scared so the government has to hold my hand", not the same America that says, this is difficult for me, but I am going to conquer it and become better for it.

Hey UB50, I invite you to choose an Appleseed shoot to attend (www.rwva.org) (broken link), I will pay for your weekend of instruction, I will even pay for your hotel, and see to it that there is a rifle for you to borrow, with the required ammo. If you are too scared, let me know, I will come and walk you through it. If it is still too much, I will give you private lessons, just let me know. It saddens me to see someone not dealing with their fears, you can be helped, and I feel compelled to try my best. I don't think it is your fault that you think this way, it is typical of our society, but you can overcome it.

I feel for you brother, you are not alone, but we are reaching as many as we can, before it is too late, and we have had MANY success stories.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:06 PM

753 posts, read 758,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
all the swiss men have guns, are trained to use them and its a peaceful country. wonder why? all those guns and low crime? not like wa,dc THE most resrictive on guns, none allowed. yet the highest crime? hmm.. where are the swiss when you need them? so total gun ownership by the citizens works! ps the swiss are NEUTRAL. they dont fight.
There's low crime because Switzerland invests in public education, infrastructure and health. Those Swiss are a bunch of pinko high-tax-paying commies, they are.

Old 01-27-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfaler View Post
I think we have found the root of your desire to rid "us" of our firearms, you are scared of them.
Actually, I grew up around firearms so I'm not scared of them per se. I'm afraid of having my own firearm taken away from me -- which is a totally different matter. I could not use a gun to shoot another person. Unless you are prepared to do that, a gun is useless as a weapon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies