Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2007, 01:03 PM

922 posts, read 1,908,973 times

Advertisements

OK, let me sign my name to those words. If a criminal wants to rob me; am I more likely to be a victim if im armed? let me help, NO. IM less likely. If you dont like the message, do you feel better attacking the messenger? Funny how clinton & jefferson both liked to fool around with the help. So we can forget anything Clinton ever said. Stay on focus here folks. you are NOT going to change the 2nd, or any other amendment. But I could suggest a couple others. No matter how upset some of you get, it wont happen. at least not without a very big fight. and it is that strong a message, not without a fight. One that this country does not need. Dont let the actions of a few criminals turn you against the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 01:11 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
OK, let me sign my name to those words. If a criminal wants to rob me; am I more likely to be a victim if im armed? let me help, NO. IM less likely. If you dont like the message, do you feel better attacking the messenger? Funny how clinton & jefferson both liked to fool around with the help. So we can forget anything Clinton ever said. Stay on focus here folks. you are NOT going to change the 2nd, or any other amendment. But I could suggest a couple others. No matter how upset some of you get, it wont happen. at least not without a very big fight. and it is that strong a message, not without a fight. One that this country does not need. Dont let the actions of a few criminals turn you against the rest of us.
I actually agree that there will never be any effective form of gun control in the US(there are more guns in the US than in the entire Middle East, the 2nd most armed region of the world) and that if put into effect it wouldn't work (as shown by the experiences in the UK and Brazil). I've already stated that gun laws have little effect on crime rates, either way, so this suggests that to reduce violent crime it is necessary to take other measures like fighting poverty and inequality.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:39 PM

137 posts, read 185,446 times
However, the efforts to restrict and eliminate private ownership and use of firearms in America is on going, and gaining momentum since the anti-gun, anti-rights crowd is in control (before FFH blubbers, no the group there a year ago were not much better). But without a doubt, the bulk of un-Constitutional laws in ref to guns come from Dems.

Once they get yahoos to sign off on the "just for hunting and targets" fallacy, they can follow up with what ever they want.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfaler View Post
However, the efforts to restrict and eliminate private ownership and use of firearms in America is on going, and gaining momentum since the anti-gun, anti-rights crowd is in control (before FFH blubbers, no the group there a year ago were not much better). But without a doubt, the bulk of un-Constitutional laws in ref to guns come from Dems.

Once they get yahoos to sign off on the "just for hunting and targets" fallacy, they can follow up with what ever they want.
Remember that the real political divide over guns in this country is urban/rural not Rep/Dem. The GOP has anti-gunners in its "law and order" wing, while Dems from rural states and districts tend to be pro-gun rights. (Note that Howard Dean recieved an 85% approval rating from the NRA, and Southwestern Dems like Bill Richardson are very pro-gun). And given that many of the new Dems in Congress are coming from areas which have long hunting traditions and are strongly pro-gun, I wouldn't expect that much action to take place.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post
The most insightful post in this whole thread. Please stick around majoun.

Goes to figure you like the post that is cutting and worthless to the debate, birds of a feather.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:53 PM

753 posts, read 758,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funfaler View Post
Goes to figure you like the post that is cutting and worthless to the debate, birds of a feather.
At least it was original material, not plagiarized cut-n-paste.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post
At least it was original material, not plagiarized cut-n-paste.
Well, when YOU ask about what the Founders say about freedoms, I give you "their" words. If it is not up to to "school boy" standards, I am sorry, give me a grade of "F", who cares.

But your inability to address the debate directly sure speaks volumes about your "foundational beliefs" on the Rights of Americans

We all wait impatiently for your next, sarcastic snippit.........make it good, we are getting bored.......

Old 02-02-2007, 05:23 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,483 times
1. How many here vote for president based MAINLY on his/her position in this matter?

2. How many here believe that any future president would try to confiscate guns in this country? Not restrict, but completely confiscate.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:38 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Winnie, how are you?

I think this would make a good new thread with a poll?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
1. How many here vote for president based MAINLY on his/her position in this matter?

2. How many here believe that any future president would try to confiscate guns in this country? Not restrict, but completely confiscate.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post

1. No.
2. I believe Patriot Act II did have a provision for doing exactly that in case of "national emergency" declared by the president. This makes it all the more necessary to elect someone trustworthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies