Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2007, 09:47 AM

22 posts, read 30,851 times

Advertisements

I dont know why so many people want to ban or restrict guns when its obvious it wont reduce crime just gives me a bigger headache.

I should be able to own any type of gun I want without any arrogant snob telling me otherwise.As long as I am not messing with anyone elses peace or business I should be able to do what I want on my property.
I also believe in ccw and self defense inside the home and outside where ever it happens.If I take a road trip this summer or so to the west like texas,tennessee,missouri,new mexico,maybe oklahoma,and arizona.I will bring a 12 gauge remington 870 express pump shotgun with a 18 inch barrel with a few boxes of Federal 2-3/4" 00 bucksot with me.In my trunk ready to be taken out and fired if a threat were to arrive in the desert or anywhere.

Last edited by dmxx99; 02-11-2007 at 11:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 09:49 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
I couldn't disagree more.

Did you read about a mother who gave her son a gun this week -- a gun, not his fists, to even up some score.

No gun! No death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxx99 View Post
I dont know why so many people want to ban or restrict guns when its obvious it wont reduce crime just gives me a bigger headache

Old 02-11-2007, 11:12 AM

22 posts, read 30,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post

Did you read about a mother who gave her son a gun this week -- a gun, not his fists, to even up some score.

No gun! No death!
What does that have to do with anything
The mother was a cop and her son was close to a adult he should have known better and so should the mother.Both should be charged the mother should be charged with conspiracy to commit murder,accomplice to the murder or accessory to murder.The son should be charged with 1st degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder.
If she didnt have a gun she would have given him a knife or bat to kill the "kid" who won the fight.Swimming pools account for more deaths to children than all gun related deaths combined.Maybe we should ban or heavily restrict swimming pools "because its for the children".

Old 02-11-2007, 11:51 AM

753 posts, read 758,781 times
Quote:
What does that have to do with anything
The mother was a cop and her son was close to a adult he should have known better and so should the mother.Both should be charged the mother should be charged with conspiracy to commit murder,accomplice to the murder or accessory to murder.The son should be charged with 1st degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder.
Presumably both of them weren't prior criminals, so by your reckoning mom could have helped sonnyboy get any kind of weapon under the sun. Too bad Jr. didn't have a fully automatic SAW or better yet a grenade launcher for maximum destructive power.

Quote:
If she didnt have a gun she would have given him a knife or bat to kill the "kid" who won the fight.Swimming pools account for more deaths to children than all gun related deaths combined.Maybe we should ban or heavily restrict swimming pools "because its for the children".
Guns are designed for one purpose. To kill. Swimming pools aren't. If people start carrying swimming pools around in their pants and start doing drive-by drownings, then yes, they should be heavily restricted.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:07 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post

No gun! No death!
I was trying to stay away from posting more on this thread since I think I've said what I had to say and anymore will doubtfully sway a opposite opinion but.....

I sure would like a source link to this story to read it for myself,I did a quick search and found nothing.

If this true,than like I said,ordinary citizens should be allowed the same small arms as police because while most police are professional,it does not necessarily mean they are always better trained or not corrupt.

If this mother did indeed do this,punish her as a individual,just because one person is iresponsible that doesn't mean everybody else is.

No gun no death?...wrong.

A criminal can kill a number of ways,are you saying someone shouldn't be able to protect themself?A woman confronted by a 220lb male attacker would be at disadvantage,a firearm could save her life.A firearm can be used properly just as much as it can be used for crime.

Recently I've been reading that a private security firm Blackwater was involved in the post-Katrina security issues.A private mercenary firm trusted with automatic weapons,supposedly policing civilians....I would not obey them if they came knocking on my door telling me to disarm and abandon my house......frankly I don't even think professional police have a right to do that in a crisis like that.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:22 PM

It was one of those five minute headlines. If you look ABOVE you'll see another poster seemed to have more info on the case.

You know I am not against guns. I think I already wrote that I like guns, have used guns, and owned them.

But, I don't trust the average person, and after all, we are all the average person, to be rationale enough not to resort to gun-fire needlessly.

If my grand-daddy were here now, he'd wring my neck and we might go hunting but hand-guns for the purpose of self-protection seem to me--opinion, right--to be an accident in the making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I was trying to stay away from posting more on this thread since I think I've said what I had to say and anymore will doubtfully sway a opposite opinion but.....

I sure would like a source link to this story to read it for myself,I did a quick search and found nothing.

If this true,than like I said,ordinary citizens should be allowed the same small arms as police because while most police are professional,it does not necessarily mean they are always better trained or not corrupt.

If this mother did indeed do this,punish her as a individual,just because one person is iresponsible that doesn't mean everybody else is.

No gun no death?...wrong.

A criminal can kill a number of ways,are you saying someone shouldn't be able to protect themself?A woman confronted by a 220lb male attacker would be at disadvantage,a firearm could save her life.A firearm can be used properly just as much as it can be used for crime.

Recently I've been reading that a private security firm Blackwater was involved in the post-Katrina security issues.A private mercenary firm trusted with automatic weapons,supposedly policing civilians....I would not obey them if they came knocking on my door telling me to disarm and abandon my house......frankly I don't even think professional police have a right to do that in a crisis like that.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:30 PM

Here's one of the articles, albeit short, about the mother urging her son to use a gun

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/08/neworleans.shooting.ap/index.html?eref=rss_us (broken link)

Old 02-11-2007, 08:22 PM

922 posts, read 1,908,618 times
Mom a cop gives son a gun? How many laws on the books did she break? No gun no crime? How many kids are stabbed to death, or doesnt that matter. As to the swimming pool, Dont you people DARE overlook the FACT that more kids are kid by pools. Its the number ONE reason given for gun control. All the supposed kid deaths by guns. Adress the point about pools, you dont get to pass it by.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:27 PM

I for one have no idea what you are talking about. I suppose I shouldn't have resurrected the thread but it really caught my attention that a gun was deliberately given to a child (I don't know how old this man/boy is) to use not in self-defense but to punish--and therefore murder another person.

How this has anything to do with pools - are we shooting pool, like billiards or drowning in them---

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
Mom a cop gives son a gun? How many laws on the books did she break? No gun no crime? How many kids are stabbed to death, or doesnt that matter. As to the swimming pool, Dont you people DARE overlook the FACT that more kids are kid by pools. Its the number ONE reason given for gun control. All the supposed kid deaths by guns. Adress the point about pools, you dont get to pass it by.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:28 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
I guess the best way I can sum it up is short.

Yes, there are a lot of people killed by guns. Illegal guns. Go get theirs, but leave mine alone because I didn't do anything.

The biggest problem we have is the court system and law enforcement not being able to back up the laws that are currently on the book. For instance, SD wrote a law saying that if you use a gun, you get an extra 5 years tacked on your sentence. I have yet to see that used. Matter of fact, the last armed robbery, with shots fired, the guy got 3 years probation. What happened to a sentence, with an extra 5 years tacked on? The police did their job, but the courts failed.

We have way too many laws on the books now that they won't enforce so why would we need more laws?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies