Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 02:46 PM

329 posts, read 585,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsburg View Post
Bolded is a qualifier you should pay attention to.

As for stifiling innovation... there are several European industries that are past America in terms of technological/scientific advancement.
So those willing to trade freedom for PERMANENT security are alright? I mean, if permanent security is what you seek, I'm sure a supermax prison would hook you up with 3 squares and a bed.

Which industries did you have in mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 02:48 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,814,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyorr9 View Post
So those willing to trade freedom for PERMANENT security are alright? I mean, if permanent security is what you seek, I'm sure a supermax prison would hook you up with 3 squares and a bed.

Which industries did you have in mind?
Well the most obvious one is the automobile industry.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:50 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,953,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Also, the American work ethic is what has driven this country forward and made us great.
MamaBee, don't you think we need some balance? I see that you are opposed to most of the values/lifestyles that the Europeans enjoy, but don't you think that overall we (Americans) focus way too much on work and have little time to enjoy our families? I am all for hard work, but somewhere along the line, we lost our ability to slow down and smell the roses, I think that is something that we need to work on.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:51 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,814,425 times
Dont forget:

http://www.indymedia.ie/attachments/...fatmcdskid.jpg

Old 07-09-2008, 02:52 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times
Europe (keep in mind...never actually set foot in Europe..take my opinions for what it's worth-hardly much)

Pros:
Strong "dollar" (heehe..)
Sense of culture...
Sense of identity...
Close-knit
Small farm oriented....
Not auto-mobile dependent...
Younger generations buy house before family..(read it somewhere..)
Food...
politically inclined...

Cons:

By the M.E.
Nanny-state

U.S.

Pros:

Relatively unrestrictive to a degree
Lots of space..
Family and religion oriented
Community support-system unmatched (minus the gov't)
Food..

Cons:
Politically unactive, or just plain unaware...
Taxes on labor....
Washington D.C.
Healthcare - (A free healthcare system with a revolving backdoor; "it's not free but we can't deny you" crap)
Economic initiative can be discouraged by tax regression...

A few for now...

Old 07-09-2008, 02:54 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLaLa View Post
Taxes are hardly "crushing", MamaBee, because with free education (yes, through University) and free healthcare, family benefits and supports for poor people, our quality of life isn't entirely dependent on our paycheck.

As for your "valuing freedom from government" remark, I'm frankly very proud to live in a country that has a "government of the people, by the people, for the people" -- where we support our government and they support us, and our voices are heard. And since that was spoken by Abraham Lincoln, I'm sure there are plenty of Americans who FEEL JUST THE SAME, about their own American government.

Frankly, Europe and America jut aren't THAT different, and I think it's sad that every time someone tries to start a friendly discussion about what makes each other tick, a few people have to jump in to bring it down with insulting language and a small-minded 'us-versus-them' mentality. We're not at war, we're not enemies; what's the deal?
LMFAO...you are entirely dependent on your government if your life isn't dependent on your paycheck. So, your university system has become High School Part II, or...grades 13-16? And you also have healthcare for all, at a cost in taxes, and the rich people in many countries purchase their own health insurance or pay for private doctors. I bet you still have poor people even though the government "supports" them.

A government by the people means a servant government...a government never supports it only subjugates. The more power it is given the more power it will take; a government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have.

Europe is a great place to visit and our economies can trade and help each other out but your nanny government idealogy is just plain unAmerican...

Old 07-09-2008, 02:57 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
There are different ways to put someone in servitude. For instance, saddle him with a few hundred thousand dollars of medical debt after his kid gets cancer. He'll be in hock for perpetuity, and will have to sit there and grin when his employer jerks him around - because, he sure wouldn't want to lose coverage and go even deeper into debt.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
MamaBee, don't you think we need some balance? I see that you are opposed to most of the values/lifestyles that the Europeans enjoy, but don't you think that overall we (Americans) focus way too much on work and have little time to enjoy our families? I am all for hard work, but somewhere along the line, we lost our ability to slow down and smell the roses, I think that is something that we need to work on.
You can have balance...no one has to be a workaholic in America...it's the work ETHIC that sets us apart. A country that sets a work week at 35 hours and won't let you work more than that unless exempted? You've got to be kidding me...THAT is the "family values" of Europe...the value of removing an individuals right to work how and when they want.

I enjoy my family every morning and night and on the weekends, on holidays, and during my vacation time. For people working 80 hours a week who can't seem to slow down, they personally should reevaluate their family time...the government shouldn't do it for them...but it's their choice.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:59 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,265,627 times
European infrastructure is vastly superior to U.S. infrastructure - roads, rail networks, electric grid are the big examples.

Europeans are healthier, less stressed, more relaxed and arguably happier than Americans are.

Europeans are far better versed in terms of their own histories and political systems (as well as those of other countries) than Americans are. They're also better with languages (except the British, who are worse than Americans in that regard).

Americans are, on the whole, still more dynamic economically.

Americans are probably more likely to be able to sustain their standard of living than Europeans are unless the European social welfare systems are drastically reformed.

America attracts much more positive immigrants than Europe does, by and large. Instead of radical Muslims, America gets hard-working Hispanics who make a great contribution to the U.S. economy and culture. With very few exceptions, the Muslims that come to the U.S. are not radicalized and have no desire to change U.S. society.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
There are different ways to put someone in servitude. For instance, saddle him with a few hundred thousand dollars of medical debt after his kid gets cancer. He'll be in hock for perpetuity, and will have to sit there and grin when his employer jerks him around - because, he sure wouldn't want to lose coverage and go even deeper into debt.
He could also find another job with medical benefits...

I'd rather be saddled with debt for healthcare than taxes and regulations on my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies