Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 05:51 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,405,301 times

Advertisements

Certain raw tomatoes — red round, plum and Roma — remain a chief suspect and the government stressed again Wednesday that all consumers should avoid them unless they were harvested in areas cleared of suspicion.

But people at highest risk of severe illness from salmonella also should not eat raw jalapeno and serrano peppers, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention urged Wednesday. The most vulnerable are the elderly, people with weak immune systems and infants.
Raw jalapenos caused some of the illnesses, conclude CDC investigations of two clusters of sick people who ate at the same restaurant or catered event.

Salmonella infects over 1,000; peppers now eyed - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Gee, let's hope the FDA figures it out before we're all deceased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 07:11 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times

I hate tomatoes anyway so I wasn't as bummed. But I LOVE peppers, all kinds.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:22 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
I eat raw jalapenos with my meal almost everyday, i just bought a bunch, just to be safe I'll stop for a while. Time to restart my garden.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:33 PM

21 posts, read 28,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I eat raw jalapenos with my meal almost everyday, i just bought a bunch, just to be safe I'll stop for a while. Time to restart my garden.

People will be flocking to their local garden centers if they are smart. The plants are still there and ready to take off once planted.
This year I planted 13 different types of hot peppers and 9 different types of tomatoes. Thankfully I like to can so I'll be good for the year.

We eat all kinds of raw hot peppers every day and I would just be lost if I had to stop.

Better head to Home Depot to check out barbed wire!

Old 07-09-2008, 07:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Gee if they had implemented COOL like they passed then they would know the origin of the various foods and could test and zero in on the exact farm.

They are clueless and can't trace down the food because they don't know where it came from because they didn't want the labelling so we'd be sheeple and buy whatever is put on the shelves.

This little sheep woke up and grows their own vegetables or buys from a local farmer's market.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:00 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
I'm growing my own. I still have enough dried peppers from last year, that I roast and make into chili powder. I don't care to rely on others for my survival, and the problems that surface all the time in the commercial food suppliers is a good example of why I'm that way. Ask someone who's worked or seen first hand the food industry: the "inspections" of slaughterhouses when they even happen are jokes, for example, and trust me, you don't want to know some of what goes on in the fields (what do you expect? You treat workers like slaves with low wages/etc. you get problems) but all the useless regulations and red tape do help give the big producers a near monopoly on food production.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:50 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
This is what happens when we import our food from mexico. The supporters of NAFTA have sold out the American people.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
This is what happens when we import our food from mexico. The supporters of NAFTA have sold out the American people.
They have not pinpointed where it originated so it's a bit hasty to blame Mexico. For all we know it could very well originate right here.

I would modify what you posted to say:

This is what happens when we don't have enough FDA/USDA inspectors and have failed to implement COOL.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:13 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They have not pinpointed where it originated so it's a bit hasty to blame Mexico. For all we know it could very well originate right here.

I would modify what you posted to say:

This is what happens when we don't have enough FDA/USDA inspectors and have failed to implement COOL.
We already know the tomatoes came from Mexico although they are saying some may have come from Florida (I doubt it) and just where do you think they grow jalapeño’s in Kansas? We never had these problems until we began importing our food from third world countries with third world health issues. There is a reason they do not want us to know where our food comes from. It is that there is huge profit to be made by buying and importing food from other countries and selling it for top dollar here. As long as they are making huge profits they could not care less if they poison the rest of us.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times
How do vegetables get and or carry salmonella? I thought it was mainly a meats thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies