Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2008, 11:56 PM

472 posts, read 1,544,607 times

Advertisements

I really believe that society is capable of letting homosexuals live their lives if they try. I was studying "cognitive dissonance" to understand better, why some religious people try to ban homosexual marriage. My research found it is because they are chosing to reject facts... for doctrine. This is not healthy or productive, IMHO. Read the link for an explanation and a video about congnitive dissonance.

Cognitive_Dissonance_Video

Has anyone here altered their beliefs because of things they found to be fact? Example: Let's say that all of your values come from the bible, and the bible is without error to you. The bible says that the earth is flat, but you learned in school that the earth is round. Do you hold on to your belief in spite of what you know is fact? or do you alter your beliefs (i.e. see the bible as being fallible) and chose to acknowledge that the earth is round?

I'm interested in hearing what you think. Please watch the video before posting so that you can stay on key with the discussion.

**P.S. If you're tired of homosexuality threads... the fact that you are reading this proves contrary. It says "HOMOSEXUALITY right there in the title, so don't complain. Only productive answers need apply! **
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies