Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 09:24 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times

Advertisements

Yeah, we don't want any dangerous chemicals in our water.

You know, like chlorine....

Chemical Fact Sheets -- Chlorine

Imagine adding it to our water!!!!

Water Quality and Health Council - Drinking Water Chlorination, Water Disinfection, and Safe Water
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 09:29 AM

564 posts, read 892,319 times
I'll tell you this, and it aint no lie. Back in my 20's I worked part-time for a large county run (2 counties in md) "sports activities", such as softball, youth football and so on. A second income when I was single, did and bought what I wanted, with so much money in my wallet, it wouldn't close. Ahhhhh- woops I got off track ( I'm married now )

Every time I came to work on Friday there was a death notice in the time clock room. No kidding, For 7 years I worked there something like this was posted: "Ron Smith-33 years of service, retired 3 months ago, and died Wednesday x/x/xx" Unbelievable! After a while I started thinking, man that's what I got to look forward to? Paying into all this stuff get a couple of retirement checks and drop. It's almost orchestrated, I mean to me, seeing them all drop after a couple of months of retirement. My boss used to say, "That's because they go inactive, lay around" Man! To work for some 30 years and drop after a couple of months doesn't seem right to me.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:58 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,814,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubbltunman View Post
I'll tell you this, and it aint no lie. Back in my 20's I worked part-time for a large county run (2 counties in md) "sports activities", such as softball, youth football and so on. A second income when I was single, did and bought what I wanted, with so much money in my wallet, it wouldn't close. Ahhhhh- woops I got off track ( I'm married now )

Every time I came to work on Friday there was a death notice in the time clock room. No kidding, For 7 years I worked there something like this was posted: "Ron Smith-33 years of service, retired 3 months ago, and died Wednesday x/x/xx" Unbelievable! After a while I started thinking, man that's what I got to look forward to? Paying into all this stuff get a couple of retirement checks and drop. It's almost orchestrated, I mean to me, seeing them all drop after a couple of months of retirement. My boss used to say, "That's because they go inactive, lay around" Man! To work for some 30 years and drop after a couple of months doesn't seem right to me.
It's because they drank more tap water in their houses.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:14 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsburg View Post
It's because they drank more tap water in their houses.
But they had beautiful teeth.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,533 times
Default Natural??

Yes there is naturally occuring flouride in some springs and wells of mountain water supplies. Unfortunately that's not the case here. Even the tooth paste companies put warnings not to swallow the tooth paste. Also to call poison control if you do. Sodium Flouride doesn't stand for salty flouride. Its a shortened term for the chemical composition that they install in the toothpastes. Take care to research then decide for yourselves. Good luck all.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:37 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,404,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homecarecomputer View Post
Yes there is naturally occuring flouride in some springs and wells of mountain water supplies. Unfortunately that's not the case here. Even the tooth paste companies put warnings not to swallow the tooth paste. Also to call poison control if you do. Sodium Flouride doesn't stand for salty flouride. Its a shortened term for the chemical composition that they install in the toothpastes. Take care to research then decide for yourselves. Good luck all.
This is irrelevant in regards to the supposed danger of fluoride in public water supplies. This form of labeling is more about protection from commercial tort action rather than some kind of comment on the specific dangers of such a small amount of fluoride.

Everything, even water, will kill you if you consume enough of it. Fluoride certainly can be dangerous in high doses. But the level of fluoride in public water supplies is insignificant when compared to the other dental health benefits.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
My wife started drinking bottled water . Her dosctor and her distist told here theif she is going to do not drink sprins water but distilled and to use a floride mouthwash. Why;because she never had a cavity until she stopped drink water with floride. Many don't remember when it was common for people to need denture by age 40-50.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:36 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times
Quote:
There is a lot more fluoride in toothpaste than tap water.

The most basic rule of toxicology is "the dose makes the poison". For instance, bleach and stuff you put into pools to stop algae growth is chlorine. They also put chlorine into tap water to stop the growth of algae and bacteria. In fact, if they didn't do that, tap water would be undrinkable.

Using your logic, there is no discernible difference between drinking tap water, pool water, and bleach because they all contain chlorine and are basically the same.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:18 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:

Also don't just look at the fluoride look at the other chemicals in toothpaste. let us know what your dentist bills look like when you stop using it.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:21 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
There is a lot more fluoride in toothpaste than tap water.

The most basic rule of toxicology is "the dose makes the poison". For instance, bleach and stuff you put into pools to stop algae growth is chlorine. They also put chlorine into tap water to stop the growth of algae and bacteria. In fact, if they didn't do that, tap water would be undrinkable.

Using your logic, there is no discernible difference between drinking tap water, pool water, and bleach because they all contain chlorine and are basically the same.

Should listen to this guy.

I'll even go one step further...the chemicals added to pool water are added to keep things like leaching of other chemicals or scaling of other chemicals inside the pool....it's considered balanced and the max recommended level of chlorine in drinking water is 4 ppm. With cynuric acid or stabilizer at a level of 30 ppm that's exactly where I keep my chlorine level.

Chlorine in water at 4 ppm is virtually un-noticeable....add some ammonia and you'd know it's there. And as stated they would be un usable if they didn't contain a disinfectant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies