Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2008, 11:02 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,098,061 times

Advertisements

I am strongly for universal health care. I find it astonishing that the insurance companies have people so brainwashed that they somehow think that the richest nation on earth making certain that their citizens have at least basic health care is UnAmerican. Good grief. People are amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 11:16 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,184,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I am strongly for universal health care. I find it astonishing that the insurance companies have people so brainwashed that they somehow think that the richest nation on earth making certain that their citizens have at least basic health care is UnAmerican. Good grief. People are amazing.
The richest nation on earth does provide health care for those who are too poor to afford private insurance. We do not provide for those who can afford but spend their money on other things. Its called freedom. The freedom to decide what your priorities are.
Health care costs what it does in large part due to all the ambulance chasing lawyers who file frivilous lawsuits. Put blame where it belongs.
I myself am not too selfish to help some one who needs help. I do refuse to help those who refuse to help themselves.
Billy bobs family can't afford to pay for their own health insurance but he has one hell of a bass boat. They can't afford food without food stamps but man check out that chevy 4x4 he pulls his boat with. Ooops wife has a bun in the oven again and that makes 6. Guess that $500.00 vasectomy wasn't on the priority list either.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:45 PM

33,513 posts, read 37,061,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The richest nation on earth does provide health care for those who are too poor to afford private insurance. We do not provide for those who can afford but spend their money on other things. Its called freedom. The freedom to decide what your priorities are.
Health care costs what it does in large part due to all the ambulance chasing lawyers who file frivilous lawsuits. Put blame where it belongs.
I myself am not too selfish to help some one who needs help. I do refuse to help those who refuse to help themselves.
Billy bobs family can't afford to pay for their own health insurance but he has one hell of a bass boat. They can't afford food without food stamps but man check out that chevy 4x4 he pulls his boat with. Ooops wife has a bun in the oven again and that makes 6. Guess that $500.00 vasectomy wasn't on the priority list either.
Obviously you must have been too busy to watch the 60 minute video I posted...Sure there are what you call "Billy Bobs" with screwed up priorities, but there are also millions of folks past working age who cannot afford insurance, can't even afford new glasses or dental care, and don't try and tell me that they are covered....If that were so then an organization like Remote Medical Access, who normally work in third world countries wouldn't be spending most of their time in America.

Admit it at least...You care about you.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Obviously you must have been too busy to watch the 60 minute video I posted...Sure there are what you call "Billy Bobs" with screwed up priorities, but there are also millions of folks past working age who cannot afford insurance, can't even afford new glasses or dental care, and don't try and tell me that they are covered....If that were so then an organization like Remote Medical Access, who normally work in third world countries wouldn't be spending most of their time in America.

How did this happen? Did they ever in their youth stop to think about their tomorow? If they are at poverty level or below they are covered. If they are in between then there are also programs for them. And sorry 60 minutes is hardly a fact based program. It is an editorial program that will show some facts and neglect others to make their point.
No I didn't take the time to watch the video.
Ever stand in line at a convenience store? Behind a line of senior citizens buying daily number tickets? They complain none stop about not being able to afford their meds. Yet they spend more in one day on lottery tickets than I do in a year. No not all seniors are guilty of this my point is however we all live or suffer due to personal choices. If I fail to save enough money I can hardly expect my neighbors to pay my bills. The company I work for has an excellent retirement plan. I still put money into my own plan. I don't even want to depend on something I have no control over. People who do end up in a bad position.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:06 AM

33,513 posts, read 37,061,236 times
Well all I can say is that you are very fortunate...Lots of people have things happen to them in their lives through no fault of their own that leaves them destitute...You like to generalize and seem to think that everybody is capable, or should be in the position you are in. Unfortunately that's just not true.

This particular 60 minute video was fact by the way....

Old 07-14-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Well all I can say is that you are very fortunate...Lots of people have things happen to them in their lives through no fault of their own that leaves them destitute...You like to generalize and seem to think that everybody is capable, or should be in the position you are in. Unfortunately that's just not true.

This particular 60 minute video was fact by the way....
LOL I have yet to ever see a 60 minutes that was pure fact. Its as much opinion and conjecture as anything and always left leaning.
No things happen. They have happened to me.
Cancer, torn acl, and shot to pieces while in the military. Yes things have happened to me.
2 children born and I had no health insurance. I worked 2 and 3 jobs to pay for them. No I didn't ask for a gov hand out.
5% unemployment there are no excuses for being broke. Work 2 jobs... It sucks and you feel your life is lousy but atleast you are doing something about it.
1991 when I got out of the military. I did sheetrock and drove a delivery truck in the evening for 5.00 an hour. It sucked. I worked in a nursing home as a nurses aid for $5.00 an hour and it sucked. It forced me to give up a lot of things. We had a cheap 19 inch tv for years no cable no a/c.
It sucked. But my kids wore nice clothes and were well fed.
I already had a retirement started before I worked for P&G and I never stopped paying into it. Why? Because I learned the hard way that tomorow sucks for those who don't plan ahead.
Everyone is capable barring severe disabilities. I work 12 hour shifts on a body that has been shot, damaged hip and shoulders. I over came by force of will. No I get no cash from from uncle sam although I have been told that I am entitled. Why? Its called pride.
Besides all that I don't trust the fed gov not to totally screw it up.... Look at the VA system... It is a train wreck. Look at medicare a train wreck.

Last edited by tinman01; 07-14-2008 at 12:43 AM..

Old 07-14-2008, 12:31 AM

15,853 posts, read 35,071,597 times
From a purely selfish point of view, I would say that I am opposed. This is because I do not use mainstream medical care, will NEVER use mainstream medical care.

However, I believe that the medical machine has gotten quite out of hand and that NO ONE should have to lose their home, family farm, etc., because of a large medical bill - especially an end-of-life medical bill. That is just wrong, no matter how you spin it. Therefore, my compassionate side says that there should be SOME OPTION for people so that they will not become destitute in the event of a catastrophic medical illness or injury.

Unfortunately, if Canada is any indication (and yes, I have seen it first hand), the socialized, universal medical system there is dreadfully abused. People go to doctors for hangnails (which is one reason why it takes so long to get an appointment). My father in law died from lung cancer while waiting to get a diagnosis to determine the course of treatment (well, he was 90, so maybe it was just his time to go).

So even if there is Universal Health Care here, it is going to be abused and it is going to be inadequate and the people with money will still PAY for their treatment while less affluent people will suffer with the best that the program will pay for.

I don't know what the solution is. Maybe there isn't one. But we can't keep going like we're going - that's for sure.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-14-2008, 02:03 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,378,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
LOL I have yet to ever see a 60 minutes that was pure fact. Its as much opinion and conjecture as anything and always left leaning.
No things happen. They have happened to me.
Cancer, torn acl, and shot to pieces while in the military. Yes things have happened to me.
2 children born and I had no health insurance. I worked 2 and 3 jobs to pay for them. No I didn't ask for a gov hand out.
5% unemployment there are no excuses for being broke. Work 2 jobs... It sucks and you feel your life is lousy but atleast you are doing something about it.
1991 when I got out of the military. I did sheetrock and drove a delivery truck in the evening for 5.00 an hour. It sucked. I worked in a nursing home as a nurses aid for $5.00 an hour and it sucked. It forced me to give up a lot of things. We had a cheap 19 inch tv for years no cable no a/c.
It sucked. But my kids wore nice clothes and were well fed.
I already had a retirement started before I worked for P&G and I never stopped paying into it. Why? Because I learned the hard way that tomorow sucks for those who don't plan ahead.
Everyone is capable barring severe disabilities. I work 12 hour shifts on a body that has been shot, damaged hip and shoulders. I over came by force of will. No I get no cash from from uncle sam although I have been told that I am entitled. Why? Its called pride.
Besides all that I don't trust the fed gov not to totally screw it up.... Look at the VA system... It is a train wreck. Look at medicare a train wreck.
Ahhh...The great american dream. LOL!!!

Old 07-14-2008, 06:27 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times
Quote:

Au contraire, sanspeur, the "millions of folks past working age" are not eligilbe for private insurance, they are covered by medicare. Pvt insurance will not even issue a policy to someone eligible for medicare. Like the Canadian Health Service, medicare does not cover everything. Many elderly purchase "medigap" insurance to pay for what the govt. does not. My computer doesn't "do" videos well, so I will have to forego the You Tube 60 Minutes vid. I don't even watch 60 Minutes on TV anymore; it has gotten more like Dr. Phil and less like a news show over the years.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:41 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,200,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Au contraire, sanspeur, the "millions of folks past working age" are not eligilbe for private insurance, they are covered by medicare.
Then again - there are those who will never be eligible for medicare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies