Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 03:51 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,191,300 times

Advertisements

Everyone *should* watch this video before making negative comments!
Just imagine faithfully paying your premiums for years then being denied healthcare by someone at an HMO whose primary job is to *deny* healthcare and save the HMO a bucketload of money.. The system is obviously broken and unfair.

health insurance companies are ciminals anyway, heres how much they care about you:

YouTube - Linda Peeno MD, testifies[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 04:04 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,975,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
are you trying to say that a fully free market health care system would work out just great?
Im not taking any side in that aspect of the arguement, I was simply pointing out that you were wrong about the current system being a free market.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:37 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
Please discuss.

Strongly For.. but I cant go into all the reasons why.. I did so on so many posts and the conversation always goes in circles..just like the solutions for the problem.

Unfortunately it will still be some time before Universal becomes a reality..

However,.. with the weakened and stagnant economy AND many people loosing their jobs.. And subsequently loosing their health insurance they'll get sticker shock when they go to purchase their own.. and their eyes willb e opened to the real problem

Meanwhile.. my mother in law will return home to her country in September and get her cataract surgery without the huge price sticker it owuld have been here.. hmm. dual citizenship is sounding pretty good to me.. (she's not a U.S citizen.. )

Old 07-14-2008, 10:37 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
Everyone *should* watch this video before making negative comments!
Just imagine faithfully paying your premiums for years then being denied healthcare by someone at an HMO whose primary job is to *deny* healthcare and save the HMO a bucketload of money.. The system is obviously broken and unfair.

health insurance companies are ciminals anyway, heres how much they care about you:

YouTube - Linda Peeno MD, testifies
[/quote]

EVERYONE does not have broadband.

But I get the gist of it, from your post.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-15-2008, 04:50 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times
If the USA want to become competitive with other industrialized nations of the world it will have to reform health care- According to the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences, the United States is the only wealthy, industrialized nation that does not provide universal health care.

virtually all of Europe has publicly sponsored and regulated health care. Countries include Austria, Belgium, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Estonia, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

Also Argentina, Brazil, Chile, China, Cuba, Costa Rica, Japan,Saudi Arabia, Oman, Sri Lanka, Ukraine

the only countries without- India, Mongolia, Bolivia, Peru, Paraguay, most of Africa, Columbia, Malaysia, The Philippines, Indonesia, Turkey, Serbia, USA

Its sad and remarkable to see a great nation like the USA unable to give its citizens health care- we are sitted next to countries that are third world for the most part.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:54 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
If the USA want to become competitive with other industrialized nations of the world it will have to reform health care- According to the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences, the United States is the only wealthy, industrialized nation that does not provide universal health care.
Reform does not necessarily equate to totally changing to UHC.

And all the countries you mentioned? NONE OF THEM - have the population we have. And, none of them have the legal issue of Eminent Domain.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:55 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,665 times
Quote:

virtually all of Europe has publicly sponsored and regulated health care. Countries include Austria, Belgium, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Estonia, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

Also Argentina, Brazil, Chile, China, Cuba, Costa Rica, Japan,Saudi Arabia, Oman, Sri Lanka, Ukraine

the only countries without- India, Mongolia, Bolivia, Peru, Paraguay, most of Africa, Columbia, Malaysia, The Philippines, Indonesia, Turkey, Serbia, USA

Its sad and remarkable to see a great nation like the USA unable to give its citizens health care- we are sitted next to countries that are third world for the most part.
i disagree, our system needs to be reformed and the power needs to be put into the hands of consumers. We don't need universal healthcare.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:03 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,495,359 times
You don't need universal healthcare until you get sick. Even with the best insurance, you are only one major illness away from bankruptcy.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:14 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
i disagree, our system needs to be reformed and the power needs to be put into the hands of consumers. We don't need universal healthcare.
Sigh gasp sigh.
Who is going to run it? The Gov. Do we have even the smallest say in how they waste money? NO, If we did we would have lower taxes and a fraction of the current waste.
Would the average american say ok to their health plan that senetors and congressman enjoy? I doubt it.
Would we say ok to the perks they enjoy? I doubt it.
Would we say ok to a bridge to no where? Maybe the 400 people who live on that island but who else? Nobody...
So back to the topic. No I don't like bean counters deciding what medical procedures or meds are valid. I want my doctor to decide.
The VA hospital system is a prime example of a GOV managed system. I used it and regreted it. The service was poor at best. I could not understand a word the doctor's said and I do mean plural.
What gov managed program works well? Let me know when you find one.
Big gov = big waste. Big gov = inefficient. Big Gov = substandard performance. It is the nature of the beast.
Wanna know why HMO's came about? Big Gov. Why does insurance cost so much? Lawyers and frivilous lawsuits. ie big gov failed to manage thru law what is acceptable reasons for lawsuits.
UHC will be managed like the dept of energy, transportation, NASA, and the state department. Lets not forget how successful SS has been, medicaid and medicare and of course FEMA.
Thats a track record that illustrates what waits for us with UHC.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:18 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times
Quote:

Excellent post.. those holding out against UHC are clasping at a dry rotting corpse!! You get points for this post from me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies