Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2008, 10:39 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times

Advertisements

Geeoro - would you force everyone to have your UHC/UHI scheme? Would you let them not pay into it and opt out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 11:37 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,129,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Anyone who says that UHC cannot be done because it is unconstitutional, obviously has never heard of the "Bill of Rights". The Bill of Rights was 10 amendments that were inserted into the Constitution. There have been other amendments to the constitution and this does not mean "the end of the American Constitution". The constitution was designed so that changes can be made, as needed. Look at the age for voting. This has changed in the constitution over the years. As far as a UHC, here is a interesting view.
We must expand the Bill of Rights as embodied in the US Constitution to include the right to affordable universal health care. The time has come for the public to conclude that the right to universal health care is as important and necessary as the right to free speech and all the other beloved constitutional rights. Common sense says that health care is a right, not a privilege.
I like this

Old 07-30-2008, 07:17 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,975,351 times
Quote:
We must expand the Bill of Rights as embodied in the US Constitution to include the right to affordable universal health care. The time has come for the public to conclude that the right to universal health care is as important and necessary as the right to free speech and all the other beloved constitutional rights. Common sense says that health care is a right, not a privilege.
This is absolutely wrong. Health Care is NOT a "right" nomatter how warm and fuzzy you make yourself feel by saying it, you are still ignoring the definition of what is in the bill of rights and what a "right" is, so your claim that it is "common sense" is also wrong.

The "rights" are not things that someone decides to grant to you, they are things you are born with that can not be taken away.

They are things that are yours, yet they are also things that do not require anyone else to give up their own rights. The "right" to health care as you put it would automatically infringe on people such as doctors and nurses who would be required to earn less money, and/or work more hours in order for others to gain this particular thing that we are talking about.

It would also require others to pay for the services through a tax on the money that they earn.

Nothing about either of those two situations agrees with the definition of what a "right" is.

I would love to see every american be happy and healthy, but unfortunately this scenario of health care is NOT covered, nor should it be covered by the bill of rights.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:36 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,493,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Just for amusement of the thread, suppose you needed a operation that the nurse in Nigeria had performed 50 times without error, with no formal education. And you had to choose between being operated on by her, or a US medical student doing it for the first time on a human ? Who would you pick, assuming the environment was the same for the operation ?
We wont even factor in, that the nurse would probably do it for $300, vs $10,000 for the med student.
I would pick the student..

Old 07-30-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
I would pick the student..
Noticed that not too many people want to answer this, thank you for answering the question. It only took you 17 hours, perhaps you had to ponder a while ?

Old 07-30-2008, 04:25 PM

For me, even if the medical student offered to do it for free, and the nurse charged $300, I would pay the nurse to do the operation on me.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:30 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Noticed that not too many people want to answer this, thank you for answering the question. It only took you 17 hours, perhaps you had to ponder a while ?
Actually - I did not respond for it was a foolish question - meaningless

And, did you EVER stop to consider that, not everyone lives on these boards - they have other, more important things to do?

Old 07-30-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Depends, like all things, on overwhelming public opinion. A law cannot of any kind cannot work unless the majority of people obey it. I agree with you Glitch, that to get a UHC is a huge task. But change does occur. The USA is now the only industrialised rich western country without a UHC. Can that last?
It can last if people ENJOY the following:

Paying double the world rate for each americans healthcare, and increasing that for the future.

Paying tripple on your bill if you pay cash and dont have health insurance, and billing fraud.

Paying double for drugs that are developed here and sold elsewhere for half price

Paying insane prices for anything related to a hospital, $10 for a tylenol, $2000 a night for the room, paying for the TV you watch in the room, not getting the same service and comfort you would get elsewhere. And paying administers puffed up million dollar salaries when they are nothing but glorified hotel managers.

Medical bankruptcys and elderly people losing their homes because they cant afford medicine, with lots of fear, insecurity, anger, foregoing life, liberty, and the pursuit of happyness.

People with rare diseases or pre exhisting conditions refused insurance.

Employers dropping health insurance because of the ever rising costs, making you pick up the burdon.

A drain on the enconomy that is 15% of GDP and growing, with many jobs lost to foreign workers, and possible failure of the american auto industry and other businesses, due in part to high healthcare costs.

Paying 20% off the top to insurance companies, whom should not be involved, as they do not contribute any skill to your healthcare to warrant payment.

Malpractice suits, insurance and lawyers fees eating up a rediculous amount of the healtcare pie, that you get to keep paying for over and over again.

General inflated medical salaries across the board that will continue to outpace inflation. With more and more people training to enter this profession for the "GOOD MONEY" first, and their desire to help sick people second.

OH, BUT ITS THE BEST IN THE WORLD.......RIGHT

Last edited by mofford; 07-30-2008 at 06:51 PM..

Old 07-30-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Actually - I did not respond for it was a foolish question - meaningless

And, did you EVER stop to consider that, not everyone lives on these boards - they have other, more important things to do?
Your right, but he usually comes back fast on me with RED RED RED all over the place, so thus I think the remark is deserved.

I was trying to make a point about the relavance of all that schooling we pay for on our health insurance bill, vs the most prized of medical science, the skill of surgery. I believe some cuts can be made in education to more specialize and fast track some new doctors to get them the SKILL, in a more efficient way.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:32 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,129 times
Couldn't have said it better myself mofford. It has also been shown that small businesses rate supplying health cover for employees as i higher factor in the collapse of small businesses than tax or any other reason. Whil'st there are still Americans who "believe" that paying high premiums for healthcare is a good thing, and thankfully it seems to be mostly the elder indoctrinated Americans, The American Healthcare system wil be a lottery and only those who can afford it will get adequate health cover. America is not ahead in medicine and is falling behind in many areas. In the UK only this week we have been shown results of a new drug, discovered by research in the UK, to slow and even prevent alzheimers. My best friend here is an orthopedic surgeon and has developed a way to grow cartilage cells for previously untreatable cartilage injury. This all achieved in the National Health Service. It seems cosmetics and private rooms take pole position when seeking health in the USA. Pity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies