Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 06:09 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,265,627 times

Advertisements

The word "elitist" gets thrown around a lot, but there's rarely a good discussion of the phenomenon itself and why or why it not be a good thing.

Just several minutes ago, I saw a clip of Lou Dobbs on CNN, who called Barack Obama "elitist" for suggesting that American kids should learn Spanish.

I don't want this thread to really be a discussion of Obama's comment - there's plenty of discussion in the other folder - but I think a discussion is needed of elitism itself. After all, the Founders of this country were extremely elitist (even if we remove slavery, race and gender).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 06:14 PM

502 posts, read 1,065,963 times
I've been called an elitist when it comes to books...

Although, to be fair, I personally think it's not elitism, but just good taste. Maybe elitism is simply a matter of perspective.

Also, I may be missing how saying people should learn another language is elitism... Saying that others should speak English so you don't HAVE to learn a different language seems a bit more so to me.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:45 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
It seems to me that, anymore, people are called an elitist for having a good education, using good grammar, and being a democrat. It makes no sense to me when they use this as an insult because the dictionary defines being elite as "representing the most choice or select; best." That is taken directly from the dictionary as the definition of "elite." So I guess they are saying that the person they are insulting is the best. Huh?

Old 07-12-2008, 07:02 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
I had to look it up. I don't like labels because most people have their own definition.
Elite--The choice part, especially a socially superior group.
A powerful minority group.
A typewriter type providing 12 characters to an inch.
Old French and latin word meaning "to choose."

Now my opinion. I think it is a bit rude of the Spanish speaking people to move here and expect everybody to start speaking their language, rather than learn the language already being spoken. It is kind of like saying, "I am better than you are, so I am choosing to move there and then you should do things my way." When in Rome, do as the Romans do. The United States has its own form of English which is mixed with many other languages and phrases. If you plan to live here, learn it.

I think the Obama's think they are better than the people in North Carolina. North Carolina's motto is "to be rather than to seem." Obama might want to take note of that. Deciding that you will change your stance on this or that in order to attract certain voters does not bode well with me. A person should not run for office until they know who they are and what they stand for every day from day one. I would rather a person be rather than seem. Obama is a Seemly Fellow.

Last edited by NCN; 07-12-2008 at 07:21 PM..

Old 07-12-2008, 07:09 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,702,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
It seems to me that, anymore, people are called an elitist for having a good education, using good grammar, and being a democrat. It makes no sense to me when they use this as an insult because the dictionary defines being elite as "representing the most choice or select; best." That is taken directly from the dictionary as the definition of "elite." So I guess they are saying that the person they are insulting is the best. Huh?
I think that when people throw that term around, and when they use it with a derogatory connotation, they are referring specifically to the perception of superiority held by the alleged "elitist."

I have a good education, I use grammar correctly (at least I try to), and I am a Democrat, yet I do not consider myself to be an elitist. Unfortunately, there are probably some (many?) die-hard right-wingers out there who would consider me to be one, though, by default. I tend to think that when people refer to others as "elitists," they are doing so due to jealousy and/or insecurity issues (their own lack of education, judgement, and/or financial freedom, poor grammar or dress, etc), and not-so-much due to actual elitism being displayed by the alleged "elitist."

Last edited by Politico; 07-12-2008 at 07:18 PM..

Old 07-12-2008, 07:13 PM

107 posts, read 327,477 times
Why do the leaders of the poor and disenfranchised (Jessie Jackson, liberal democrats, green hippies) so often conform to the whims of limousine and learjet liberal elitists? It is just so hypocritical.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:47 PM
LML

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
Why do the leaders of the poor and disenfranchised (Jessie Jackson, liberal democrats, green hippies) so often conform to the whims of limousine and learjet liberal elitists? It is just so hypocritical.

You know, this type of labeling is used so much that I really think someone needs to do a poll as to just how many "liberals" and/or democrates have even BEEN on a learjet or in a limousine.....let alone own one. And, since elite means "choice or best" why would you want to vote for someone who is not elite. Really, labels such as "limousine learjet liberals" and "green hippies" is just SOOOOOO 1970s that I thought they went out with Spiro Agnew.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:51 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Yes. There is something wrong with it, because those usually holding elitist attitudes are rarely deserving or justified in holding same.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:00 PM
LML

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Yes. There is something wrong with it, because those usually holding elitist attitudes are rarely deserving or justified in holding same.
I would hate to think that someone running for president would think; "Well, I'm not very smart and I really am not very good at acting in a crisis, and I don't have very good judgement, and I'm really no better at running things than anybody else. But heck, I don't have anything else going on in Novemember so I guess I'll run for president." Unless someone thought they had something special to offer the country, why in the world would they possibly run for president?

Old 07-12-2008, 08:02 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
There is a difference between being the best and thinking you're the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies