Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2008, 11:29 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,362,441 times

Advertisements

Any women here ever negotiated your salary?

Quote:
Men are more than four times more likely than women to negotiate a salary, which typically translates to more money in their pockets. An employer may offer the same starting salary to both a man and a woman for the same position, but more times than not, the man will negotiate and the woman won't...

ABC News: Take Control: How to Negotiate Your Salary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 11:36 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Obviously you don't know my ex....She has gone from $40,000 to over $100,000 in only 5 years...She was always trying to negotiate things in our marriage too. That's why she's an ex....I do have to admit that she is good at what she does, and is worth what she is paid.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
But I still say that in my career of 30 years many men in the office were payed alot more for doing alot less than women.Many of them would have been lose without there assistants and they often did things their boss was supposed to do himself.Women have better clerical skills than the average man and they are starting to gain more positions since the world has changed what they value from muscle to skills such has those.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:14 AM

703 posts, read 1,546,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Yes, it's absolutely one reason for the gap (pg. 30 in the AAUW "Behind the Pay Gap" report [PDF] cited in the ABC article).

The negotiation factor:

Quote:
Further magnifying these gender differences, women expect less and negotiate less pay for themselves than do men. Researchers have found that women expect less, see the world as having fewer negotiable opportunities, and see themselves as acting for what they care about as opposed to acting for pay. These learned behaviors and expectations (which may be based on experiences) tend to minimize women’s pay (Babcock & Laschever, 2003).
And it may come from here:

Quote:
While women’s competitiveness or negotiation skills may account for some of the wage differences between women and men, they do not explain the origin of these behaviors. As with occupational choice, women may be strongly socialized to be less competitive, and far from being a choice, lack of competitiveness or negotiation skills may simply be learned behaviors. In fact, research shows that women are viewed negatively when they behave confidently and assertively and rewarded when they behave in a self-effacing manner (Rudman, 1998).full-time workers (Hirsch, 2005).

Old 07-13-2008, 12:21 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
i know the national stats on women show them lagging in pay
however to my working experience
most of the others in my department (women) zipped through their ladder faster than me. they pushed every step of the way. many did not study or learn the ABCs of the job to extent that i did (or was pushed to do by my female boss) but they pushed for promo where i did not. its ok we all ended up in the same place. but to say that women lagged in my department in pay would not be so, most of the higher jobs and middle management were almost 100% female.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:44 AM

7,528 posts, read 11,362,441 times
Other than areas where the pay gap is actually due to discrimination what else can be done about the pay gap? I hear politicians and others talking about equal pay for equal work but how will that be accomplished outside of discrimination situations?

Old 07-14-2008, 11:26 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
In male dominated professions, is just smarter to negotiate every time. And I do. Am aware, however, of female reticence to insist on their worth in a profession. I was raised by a hell-raising b*tch who took no "bull" off anyone, so had the mentoring not to be taken advantage of--ever. Too bad not every female given that early opportunity. Is so much harder to have to learn it later in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies