Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 07:08 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,187 times

Advertisements

i say we give all the slave owners a fair trial then hang them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 07:15 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,499,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
The U.S. government apologized to Japanese-Americans for its role in taking away their rights and imprisoning them iwithout due cause. And they should have. The U.S. government owed them at least that much. Slavery was used for 258 and after that, blacks were still denied certain rights. An apology would be a good start and there should be an apology..
Big difference, most Japanese-Americans are still alive or were when the U.S. government apologized. You take the time and go look for any ex-slaves still alive, then we can discuss it. People need to stop living in the past and move on.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:51 PM

419 posts, read 1,920,982 times
Get over it, at least the Black man got the right to vote before any woman (no matter of race). Keep it up and the US government will have to start apologizing to all the women today.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:31 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,946,717 times
Default virginia is for lovers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbeard5 View Post
formally apoligizing for slavery
Ridicules. Sub-Saharan African tribes and Arabs were raiding weaker tribes and taking slaves. These bastages were the wholesalers. And it still happens to this day.

BBC NEWS | In pictures: Sudan's slave voices, Escape

The modern West African slave trade

We have come a long way. Today is today not yesterday. Today in America a black man can be as successful as a white man. I do not live in the past. Neither should we. Let's look forward and forget color.

Last edited by mossomo; 05-28-2009 at 10:47 PM..

Old 05-28-2009, 10:42 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,708,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
The U.S. government apologized to Japanese-Americans for its role in taking away their rights and imprisoning them iwithout due cause. And they should have. The U.S. government owed them at least that much. Slavery was used for 258 and after that, blacks were still denied certain rights. An apology would be a good start and there should be an apology..
Why did you revive a 2 year old thread?

Old 05-28-2009, 10:47 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,368,412 times
I think anyone expecting an apology has an issue especially since so many black families don't know their genealogy. My family is the result of a slave owner taking an interest in one his slaves so which side would I be on? The side apologizing or the one receiving the apology?

Old 05-28-2009, 11:13 PM

438 posts, read 946,690 times
Acknowledging the fact that slavery happened and was a terrible thing is necessary. I don't think there's anything wrong with apologizing if the government is the entity issuing the statement. For instance, I spent some time in China and people there are still highly rankled by the fact that Japan has never apologized, never even acknowledged that the Japanese invaded and destroyed, pillaged and raped Manchuria. Most Chinese weren't involved in the suffering at that time, but its the principle that matters to them. They want recognition that something despicable was inflicted on them as a group. If Japan would make steps to show remorse, it could go a long way toward making citizens better disposed to the Japanese. Could be that the same thing is relevant here in the United States.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
apology by the government for the evil of slavery is a good thing. mr obama uses apology very well, so does the pope. it costs you nothing and you are free to take whatever measures need taking right after you apologize. i predict that mr obama's apologetic style will be followed up with some of the most severe crackdown on ghetto misbehavior we have ever seen.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:53 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,085,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbeard5 View Post
In short, he said that "blacks should get over slavery" because no one living in Virginia today had anything to do with it and likening it to making Jews apoligize for "killing Christ".

I agree with this completely. I have never owned a slave (my husband disagrees). I am sick of hearing about it. It was a horrible time in our HISTORY. Now it is time to get over it and move on. In fact it is long overdue.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:21 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,298,364 times
The United States of America existed for less than 85 years before it abolished slavery. The United States of America passed laws making it illegal to discriminate on the basis of race. The United States of America put programs and policies into place to help minorities.

Still, if it would help solve the problems in the Black community I would apologize right now. But it won't. There will always be people who are racist and practice prejudice and discrimination. However, these people are a small minority and, as mentioned, its illegal.

I think most of the negative perceptions people have regarding Blacks today have more to do with the behavior of a sizable minority of folks in the Black community. Crime, drug use, family instability, illegitimacy, sexually transmitted diseases and a poor attitude regarding education are some of the problems in this segment of society. The behavior of these folks who are a minority of the Black population is the biggest problem facing the majority of Blacks who are good citizens.

I don't believe these problems exist because of the lack of an apology for slavery from the United States of America.

- Reel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies