Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 05:05 AM

1,653 posts, read 4,290,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I don't mean to be a nit picker, but it's spelled:

Apologize
Apologizing

This thread has been very civil. Good job! America, like most countries in the world has a checkered past. Let's jump backwards from the slaves to what the explorers and settlers did to the native Americans ... but I'm sure that could be an entire other thread.

Chances are that most citizens of the state of Virginia's very own relatives weren't even in this country during slavery. It's not an issue of "getting over" anything. It's an issue of moving forward and making sure that it doesn't happen again.

STOP!!!!!! This is a forum NOT a MBA class! Get over it already! Picking like that is BEYOND annoying. Maybe you can volunteer at a spelling bee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 07:24 AM

72,881 posts, read 62,393,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Big difference, most Japanese-Americans are still alive or were when the U.S. government apologized. You take the time and go look for any ex-slaves still alive, then we can discuss it. People need to stop living in the past and move on.
Even if they are still alive, why wasn't that same apology afforded to blacks at any time?

Old 05-29-2009, 07:43 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,840,264 times
There is no one alive now that was a slave or owned a slave. It also gets complicated as there are many people in the US who came after slavery was abolished by Lincoln. My parents came to the US 80 years after slavery ended....

Old 05-29-2009, 07:50 AM

10,161 posts, read 11,139,017 times
This thread is over 2 years old. I wonder why it was brought back up?

Old 05-29-2009, 12:54 PM

36,235 posts, read 30,684,078 times
Quote:
I think anyone expecting an apology has an issue especially since so many black families don't know their genealogy. My family is the result of a slave owner taking an interest in one his slaves so which side would I be on? The side apologizing or the one receiving the apology?
natalay
I guess you can just apologize to yourself.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:25 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,988,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin01 View Post
its so easy for people to say we sholud get over it but as a young person who is black it's kind of unfair that people of other nationalities can go back to their country and see where they come from but as a black person we dont know where we come from we just know africa, we dont know what country, what our culture is like, or any of our african traditions entail so for those that say 'get over it' you need to keep your mouth shut.
I understand where you are coming from but as a caucasian who was adopted by a black family, I have no clue about my European ancestry or traditions either. As far as I'm concerned, I don't care about this as I grew up in a loving home here in the US. Although the US has a checkered past and isn't perfect, I am extremely grateful that I was raised here in this country.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I don't mean to be a nit picker, but it's spelled:

Apologize
Apologizing

This thread has been very civil. Good job! America, like most countries in the world has a checkered past. Let's jump backwards from the slaves to what the explorers and settlers did to the native Americans ... but I'm sure that could be an entire other thread.

Chances are that most citizens of the state of Virginia's very own relatives weren't even in this country during slavery. It's not an issue of "getting over" anything. It's an issue of moving forward and making sure that it doesn't happen again.
Exactly! We can't change the past but we can move forward and learn from our country's mistakes.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:33 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,909,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbeard5 View Post
Here in Virginia there as been a furor over remarks made by a delegate in the Virginia Legislature about the Commonwealth formally apoligizing for slavery this year in celebration of the 400th anniversary of the founding of Jamestown.

In short, he said that "blacks should get over slavery" because no one living in Virginia today had anything to do with it and likening it to making Jews apoligize for "killing Christ".

What are your thoughts?

I've included the link to the Washington Post article.

Keep it civil people!

Fury Over Delegate's Remarks on Slavery - washingtonpost.com
Actually, I agree with him on both counts.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B. Fury View Post
Wow...someone dug up an old thread.

But while we're discussing it - I'll take an apology over reparations any day.
LOL! I did not even noticed this ... I guess the person who dug this thread up was really fishing for a controversial topic to discuss ...

Old 08-31-2013, 02:00 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,925,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin01 View Post
its so easy for people to say we sholud get over it but as a young person who is black it's kind of unfair that people of other nationalities can go back to their country and see where they come from but as a black person we dont know where we come from we just know africa, we dont know what country, what our culture is like, or any of our african traditions entail so for those that say 'get over it' you need to keep your mouth shut.
As a cherokee I am saying just get over it.. My ancestors were hunted and killed on sight like animals. Women raped and children killed. The land that we once owned was taken from us by virtue of the fact that we were Indian. That was long before my time on this earth. I am owed nothing. If there was a debt to be paid, it was to my ancestors, not to me. You can move ahead or you can roll around on the ground in self pity. It's your choice, but what will each choice leave you with? It's up to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies