Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Welfare Be Abolished
Yes... 49 25.93%
No.. 45 23.81%
Limited to 5 Years 56 29.63%
Converted to Workfair 39 20.63%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 08:48 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

I love the old "subsidies to oil companies" chestnut without any regard for the fact that they pay about 200 billion dollars a year in taxes. They pay more in taxes than they reap in profits. Oil company taxes alone account for about 7% of all federal revenues. Yet people talk about subsidies to the oil companies. How much in taxes does your average welfare recipient pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 09:08 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
I think in an industrialized country, it is a legitimate function of government. I would also point out that the welfare reforms undertaken a decade ago have proven to be an absolute success. Except for the most left-wing, cradle-to-grave statists, everybody today recognizes that welfare reform addressed the issue of perpetual dependency, while simultaneously protecting the legitimate clients of welfare. After all, you have unemployment insurance taken out of every paycheck.

In short, I don't think anybody resents the government helping a laid-off factory worker who is out of work for a period of several months. However, the people who learned to work the system and stayed on welfare for years on end are a completely different case.

The same thing is true of public housing. I did consulting work for a public housing agency that required interviewing a large number of the residents. As it turned out about 50% of the residents were people who had a short term need after a big layoff or some other major problem. However, the other 50% were people who had been in the system for decades, and really had no interest in leaving. When I asked these people what they did all day, there were people who literally watched TV from the time they woke up to the time they went to bed. They didn't take advantage of the job placement programs, the job training, or anything else. They were just hanging out on the government's (read taxpayer's) dime.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:12 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notasmoker View Post
If income assistance to the needy is abolished, then corporate welfare (i.e., subsidies to oil companies) needs to be abolished too. Ditto for paying people NOT to grow crops (farm subsidies) and letting older folks "give" their property to their kids so they can use Medicaid to pay for their nursing home stay. Welfare is welfare & most people benefit from some form of it at some point in their lives. That's why government is FOR the people, BY the people.
Rep point

Old 07-14-2008, 10:13 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
The only people who get welfare are mothers with children. Everyone else gets government assistance, income assistance or what ever else your state calls it.

My personal take is that if we are expected to pledge allegiance to this country, then at the very least the country could extend a helping hand when we need it. Not everyone abuses the system and many people receive aid who legitimately need it. I also hold a cash, grass or a$$ (nobody rides for free) type of philosophy and believe that just giving somebody money is not the way to go. Most states have limits on the length of time that a person can receive benefits, but some states seem to let people ride as long as they want to. This is not the way to go as it fosters laziness. Three years seems long enough, and if at the end of the three years you did not find a job, then too bad - you had plenty of time. I also think that some type of community service should be a requirement as well. It will weed out the lazy people and help instill a sense of self-worth.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:16 PM

37 posts, read 115,460 times
There is a welfare program that costs our country over $100 billion a year, and 50% of the beneficiaries are in the top 10% income bracket. Home Mortgage Interest Tax Reduction. It's basically a subsidy for the wealthy and the real estate industry. Virtually all economists are opposed to it, saying that it doesn't do any of what is supposedly intended to do, doesn't help poor and lower-middle class home buyers, and overall hurts our economy. That program should be abolished, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
What are your opinions on Welfare...should it be abolished...limited...time ending...
It should be abolished. Elderly people shouldn't get SSI handouts. Why don't they just get a job? Throw them out on the streets if they can't support themselves.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:20 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleys_of_hills View Post
There is a welfare program that costs our country over $100 billion a year, and 50% of the beneficiaries are in the top 10% income bracket. Home Mortgage Interest Tax Reduction. It's basically a subsidy for the wealthy and the real estate industry. Virtually all economists are opposed to it, saying that it doesn't do any of what is supposedly intended to do, doesn't help poor and lower-middle class home buyers, and overall hurts our economy. That program should be abolished, yes.

It should be abolished. Elderly people shouldn't get SSI handouts. Why don't they just get a job? Throw them out on the streets if they can't support themselves.
Hooray for trolls.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:19 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,026,883 times
I voted for limited to 5 years-- I think its good for the people who really do need it, there is alot of poverty in New Mexico BUT there are so many people who take advantage of it, My whole life I have seen my friends and others get stuff I never could or live in better houses cause they were on welfare or had some assistance.
They eat better than most then complain about their amount of food stamps or when prices go up on food.

to me welfare was just as common as the typical working family,anyways there are alot of single moms and teens on it who wont work and just keep pushing out babies.

I know people who claim their kids even though their moms are the ones who permantely watch the kids and by this they get money monthly for that kid. Most have more than 1 kid though and get all kinds of assistance even though they work and hardly any taxes are taken out. They have more money left over from their paychecks since they get assistance for lots of different things, this one couple in particular have a nice 2008 SUV on $2000 custom rims,62"flat screen tv,$700 cell phone,a few $300 purses, every game console, so they must not need that welfare too bad, anyways our tax money helps him get those $2000 rims.

take a drive by the low income apartments and you'll see that most have nice cars.

The state needs to keep track monthly of everyones income on welfare and what they spend, if they are gonna receive free money then the state should know what they are spending their money on.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:01 AM

37 posts, read 115,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Hooray for trolls.
trolls?

Old 07-18-2008, 12:49 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,481,424 times
I only think it should be allowed for older people who can no longer work and sick people who can't keep a job due to illness. I worked 3 jobs until i found my dream job. Work hard for what you want.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:07 PM

444 posts, read 1,049,546 times
I don't think it should be abolished but it should also not be taken advantage of. There are people who abuse the system and clearly don't need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies