Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 02:12 PM

983 posts, read 3,598,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
We all know that America isn't as racist/segregated as it was about 50 years ago, but racism still lives on in some areas.

Out of curiosity, what are some of your experiences with racism?

The way I see it. . when you're born, you can't really chose if you want to be white, black, etc, but you CAN choose how you act.
Believe it or not, I have never experienced any negative racism.
Trying to be thankful for that..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 02:16 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,237,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinDenver View Post
Certain aspects of it is definitely learned. Most of it is lack of understanding. We are naturally more reluctance towards something that we don't know.
The reluctance is not natural when you're dealing with race. Again, it's all learned. Kids in kindergarten don't self-segregate like they do in high school. Do kids all of a sudden become more prone to some hitherto latent evolutionary need to preserve their own race by the age of 14? Absolutely not. They learn this behavior through a corrupting exposure to parents, friends and other relatives as they grow older.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:20 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,237,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Believe it or not, I have never experienced any negative racism.
Trying to be thankful for that..
Am I to infer that you have been the target of "positive racism", or more accurately, "positive stereotyping"? I have, and sometimes it can be just as offensive as the negative stuff.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:25 PM

194 posts, read 329,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
The reluctance is not natural when you're dealing with race. Again, it's all learned. Kids in kindergarten don't self-segregate like they do in high school. Do kids all of a sudden become more prone to some hitherto latent evolutionary need to preserve their own race by the age of 14? Absolutely not. They learn this behavior through a corrupting exposure to parents, friends and other relatives as they grow older.
I'm not really disagreeing with you here. But kid's curiosity out-weighs caution at young ages. It's during the older years that self preservation sets in. I was in Florida last month and had a photo with a baby lion, baby tiger, and a baby monkey all together. They were all playing. Give it a couple of years and the lion will eat the monkey.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:38 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinDenver View Post
I'm not really disagreeing with you here. But kid's curiosity out-weighs caution at young ages. It's during the older years that self preservation sets in. I was in Florida last month and had a photo with a baby lion, baby tiger, and a baby monkey all together. They were all playing. Give it a couple of years and the lion will eat the monkey.
What I get from this is with age comes cynicism.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:08 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,290,291 times
I would also as when those Duke lacrosse players everyone threw under the bus for sexually assaulting the black stripper can expect their apologies from the black leaders who screamed they were guilty? It's been what 4 years and still nothing from that oh so vocal group that was so fast to go on CNN and say they are spoiled rich white kids but where were they when it came out they were innocent? Yet another double standard.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:47 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
I have minority friends and I have seen really embarrassing incidents over the years and some were downright dirty and made me angry. I've often seen it when I am the first to enter someplace and my minority friend is behind me and is treated differently. It's not as bad as it used to be but it still happens.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:43 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,578 times
I've been the target of racist blacks many times, threatening violence against me. It started in gradeschool, continued through highschool, and then became a frequent but random experience in adulthood. I wrote another post detailing the events but it got erased. Basically, I just avoid black parts of town. I've learned that certain places and situations are just not safe for a white person.

There is a double standard with regard to racism in this country. My son was taught in college that "blacks can't be racist." Sadly, he bought into it, but will learn the lesson that all liberals eventually learn, which is that vicious racism is perpetuated by non whites as well. The Duke LaCrosse travesty opened a lot of people's eyes to this double standard. We never hear about Channon Christian and Christopher Newsome, who suffered an ACTUAL kidnapping, rape, torture and murder. Imagine the riots if a black couple on an innocent date suffered this fate at the hands of white thugs, and if dozens of white neighbors wandered in and out of the torture house over the course of several days, without even one of them reporting the horror to the police. Yet, the media refuses to discuss this case. Why? Because it does not fit their definition of racism and hate crime.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:40 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I have minority friends and I have seen really embarrassing incidents over the years and some were downright dirty and made me angry. I've often seen it when I am the first to enter someplace and my minority friend is behind me and is treated differently. It's not as bad as it used to be but it still happens.
Like what, lakewooder?

Old 03-02-2009, 09:02 PM

541 posts, read 1,224,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
I'm not really convinced this is the case. Kids become a lot more self-aware as they progress through middle school. Indeed, that's what makes middle school so awkward: everyone is trying to forge their own identities, yet at the same time garner acceptance and praise from their peers in a way that they never really sought before. Cliques form that never existed before that age. Kids sitting at lunch tables tend to look at act alike and gradually become more and more different. Then you have the goths and the like strike out to try to forge their identity in response to the identity of others.

I think it's only natural that humans begin splitting by race. They do it by appearance. They do it by socioeconomic class. They do it by social styles. They do it by athleticism.

None of this is really planned. It just happens. Humans are very visual creatures. It comes as no surprise to me whatsoever that they begin segregating by race at the time they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies