Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2009, 01:33 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Segregation never "just happens", and there's nothing natural about it. It is conditioned. During the formative years of the adolescent identity, young people become most impressionable to the in-group/out-group dynamics at play in their immediate environment. They observe their parents' circle of friends, those of their extended family and peers, and become conditioned over a period of time to accept racial homogeneity as the norm, which is often consistent with a given cultural identity.

Indeed, cliques are formed on the basis of cultural identity, not so much race. It just so happens that the young person is brought up believing that cultural identity is necessarily derived from race, thus making race in the young person's mind the most salient indicator of the likelihood that a group comprised of members who mostly look like him will accept him. And to the impressionable young mind not given to critical analysis, it will always be easier to "just go along with the pack" than to choose friends carefully and reflectively.

A phenomenon that appears to be ubiquitous isn't necessarily naturally-occurring.
I'll go with this one for argument victory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 01:40 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Well said. There is nothing wrong with it whatsoever.

Interesting that no black person here has admitted to the intense hatred of whites and Jews that so many in the black community feel. We won't think less of you for admitting the truth. On the contrary.
Because none of us here(That I can pick out at least) have an 'intense hatred for whites and jews'? I mean for goodness sakes, how do I explain that one to my friends, family, or girlfriend? That's going to be an awkward conversation...

"Sorry babe, we can't keep doing this. I'm afraid I just have an intense hatred for you. It's not you, it's not me either for that matter as I'm apparently predisposed to disliking you.. Don't question it sweetheart, I learned it at City-Data."

Old 03-03-2009, 08:00 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
The pity's mutual, trust me. Something tells me you've been wronged by blacks in the past and still have plenty of unresolved issues seeing blacks in anything other than a negative light. I'd suggest professional help. Seriously.

And nice try on the pride issue. What does "racial pride" have to do with who I choose to date/marry? It's good that you were never told who to date growing up (extremely rare in the Asian community), but if racial pride is so admirable to you, why are your dating criteria so decidedly non-racial? A bit hypocritical if you ask me. You sound no different than a stereotypical old-time anti-miscegenationist, and I would probably take you more seriously if you at least admitted as much instead of hiding behind your weak veil of pseudo-liberal humanist ideology.
Nope. I've never been wronged by blacks. And I've never lost a job to a black person either. Try again.

Otherwise, frankly I don't think that Eurasians are attractive. Children that are half Asian and half white aren't attractive to me. However, that's just a personal opinion. I prefer the pure Asian look in terms of making babies.

As to my dating criteria, because smarts, education and common morals and life goals are so important to me, I do end up dating geeks... and most of them are white. I've never had a black geek ask me out. And the only black guys that ever tried to flirt with me came onto me in purely a sexual level, so it was a no-go from the start. Sex and "charm"... that ain't what I'm looking for in a relationship.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:17 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,290,291 times
Quote:
Ha! Those cats got it easy. Try being a black man accused of raping a white woman in this country. Yeah they'll be thrown under the bus alright, with ropes attached.

Yea because we have white leaders starting parades going on CNN and all the networks screaming for them to be put away for life. Wait no that doesn't happen. Instead you have people like Jessie Jackson and Sharpton who condemn a white person before the evidence is known and then, as in the case of the Duke players don't have the balls to say they were wrong. Hypocrisy at it's best.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:22 AM

194 posts, read 329,733 times
Quote:
Ha! Those cats got it easy. Try being a black man accused of raping a white woman in this country. Yeah they'll be thrown under the bus alright, with ropes attached.
This is the most common response. Never admit that any was wrong and displace the problem onto another issue. If we can't admit to our own errors, how can we possibly grow as a community. You expect whites, asians, etc to admit to their mistakes, yet you can't come to terms with your own problems.

We can not expect equality unless we treat others with the same equality.

Last edited by HereinDenver; 03-03-2009 at 09:37 AM..

Old 03-03-2009, 01:25 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinDenver View Post
Pick a country where racism isn't an issue. Difficult isn't it?
North Korea
Iceland
Haiti
Mongolia

Few instances of racism.....and very little diversity.

Your point is?......

It would be interesting to ALSO pick a list of countries where racism is a SERIOUS issue....but where the local population never admits it, or discusses it.

Also interesting to see would be examples of highly diverse societies, where EACH of the many groups within that country feel that their members are getting uniformly fair treatment, and that none of the OTHER groups has an unfair advantage.

It COULD just turn out that, if these comparisons are made honestly, the US might begin to look pretty good, all things considered.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:28 PM

194 posts, read 329,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
North Korea
Iceland
Haiti
Mongolia

Few instances of racism.....and very little diversity.

Your point is?......

It would be interesting to ALSO pick a list of countries where racism is a SERIOUS issue....but where the local population never admits it, or discusses it.

Also interesting to see would be examples of highly diverse societies, where EACH of the many groups within that country feel that their members are getting uniformly fair treatment, and that none of the OTHER groups has an unfair advantage.
Thx macmeal. Now put a black person in N. Korea, a white person in Haiti. These people would not treat the foreigners with a degree of prejudice? It could not have been taught to them by their parents since racism just isn't in their culture right? Just making a point on my earlier post.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:24 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinDenver View Post
Thx macmeal. Now put a black person in N. Korea, a white person in Haiti. These people would not treat the foreigners with a degree of prejudice? It could not have been taught to them by their parents since racism just isn't in their culture right? Just making a point on my earlier post.
Or put a black person in Iceland. Few people know this, but the powers that were in Iceland tried to keep blacks out of Iceland during WWII. Didn't work that well though.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:40 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Or put a black person in Iceland. Few people know this, but the powers that were in Iceland tried to keep blacks out of Iceland during WWII. Didn't work that well though.
Iceland has been on my list for travel for a long time. I often wondered if I would run into any issues while traveling there.

It looks so beautiful, and I still want to go so who cares

Old 03-03-2009, 02:44 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,703,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Everyone is a bit racist...some more than others. People just don't always know it. K, this stupid conversation needs to go away now.
I do think everyone is a bit racist. People don't even think about it; stereotypes are stubborn, and people carry around old baggage like crazy, and they pass that baggage onto their children: particularly with AA's. Recently, I was at an inner-city college campus that is primarily black. I waited over an hour for a financial aid officer, and when it finally became my time, the AA man became an entirely different person, the change in his tone was dramatic. He didn't want to help me, and dismissed my need as trivial. What a lot of AA don't realize, is that this is precisely what perpetuates racism. It ping pongs back and forth from race to race. Also, it's not just a black/white thing either. It can be an Asian/black thing, or a hispanic/black thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies