Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 07:36 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times

Advertisements

Yep. $52 Billion (with a B) for Buddy Wiser! A 100% union company (teamsters). And I thought unions ruined companies, made companies worthless, made then unable to compete, ran off the jobs to China! I will always buy Bud as I always have!

InBev buying Anheuser-Busch for $52 billion - Food Inc. - MSNBC.com (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 08:19 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,543,882 times
$52,000,000,000.00

I suppose that as the economy worsens and people have to make cost their #1 priority (even in their booze), it makes sense to own a company like this as it produces a fairly inexpensive beer and can compete in a difficult economic time.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:24 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
$52,000,000,000.00

I suppose that as the economy worsens and people have to make cost their #1 priority (even in their booze), it makes sense to own a company like this as it produces a fairly inexpensive beer and can compete in a difficult economic time.
I think the demand for cheap beer is a boon for the "Busch" part even more than the "Anheuser" part.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:49 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,493,973 times
The inner patriot in me is for some reason sad to see this happen, but the business student realizes this is a smart move by Anheuser.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:52 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Yep. $52 Billion (with a B) for Buddy Wiser! A 100% union company (teamsters). And I thought unions ruined companies, made companies worthless, made then unable to compete, ran off the jobs to China!
The sale headed off a hostile take-over. My understanding is that a company must be weak to be a good target for one. (A strong company's stock doesn't go low enough to make take-overs worthwhile, but when it does happen, a strong company is able to buy back stock and drive up the price to head off the take-over.)

The article says that Bud's distribution system was weak and that's where InBev will make it's biggest improvements. (A poor distribution system would cause a less than stellar asset to earnings ratio... and that could be attributable to the union, but I don't know any details.)

Unions don't necessarily directly ruin companies. They make companies less able to respond to problems... such as the threat of a hostile take-over. In that way unions ruin companies indirectly because when problems arise, the company fails rather than respond successfully... Or they get bought out, I guess...

Don't get too excited about this. InBev bought the distribution system and the name. I bet you a dollar that the cost cutters are coming... and it'll be American jobs that are cut.

Atleast they're union jobs.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:23 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,800,839 times
The union issue has been a convenient scapegoat for the past decade or two.

Like a higher cost of capital, providing labor with a decent wage can be written into the business plan of a well-run company providing goods and services that fill a true need.

Good companies don't need 3% money and minimum wage labor to be competitive. Europe knows this. A good labor force can save you far more money in productivity gains as had been the case for the US work force since WWII.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:12 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Like a higher cost of capital, providing labor with a decent wage can be written into the business plan of a well-run company providing goods and services that fill a true need.
Is it better to have a job working for an inefficient company or having no job? The reality is that big businesses aren't necessarily run well... but I bet you'd rather have a job working there than no where.

Also, it's about competition. If an investor can buy overseas companies and get a 10% return, why in the world would they buy into a company here with 5% return?

The union issue is far reaching because it affects companies who compete for employees. The local culture begins to believe they deserve wages that violate the market's equilibrium. This hinders small businesses from entering the market place for want of labor... which forces consumers to accept the status quo for products and reduces the number of jobs.

Lastly, the reality is that the ideal of unions that most of us understand (protections for workers and fair treatment) isn't consistent with unions in action. Those of us who have worked in union shops and have been raised around union members are all too accustomed to phrases like "some people only have two gears: slow and reverse" and "that's not my job classification" and, when someone develops a five times per day bowel movement with no doctor's excuse "a guy has to go, he has to go."

Unions are bad... maybe at one time they were beneficial, but today they're helping kill our economy.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:17 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
Is it better to have a job working for an inefficient company or having no job? The reality is that big businesses aren't necessarily run well... but I bet you'd rather have a job working there than no where.

Also, it's about competition. If an investor can buy overseas companies and get a 10% return, why in the world would they buy into a company here with 5% return?

The union issue is far reaching because it affects companies who compete for employees. The local culture begins to believe they deserve wages that violate the market's equilibrium. This hinders small businesses from entering the market place for want of labor... which forces consumers to accept the status quo for products and reduces the number of jobs.

Lastly, the reality is that the ideal of unions that most of us understand (protections for workers and fair treatment) isn't consistent with unions in action. Those of us who have worked in union shops and have been raised around union members are all too accustomed to phrases like "some people only have two gears: slow and reverse" and "that's not my job classification" and, when someone develops a five times per day bowel movement with no doctor's excuse "a guy has to go, he has to go."

Unions are bad... maybe at one time they were beneficial, but today they're helping kill our economy.
Exactly, they may have been beneficial way back when they first started but it's been a long time since they've been anything more than parasites. Most union workers are the laziest most unmotivated people who for some reason feel they are entitled to things they never earned.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:21 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post

Nonsense, the union was very good for me. You and I evidently have different interests.

I've seen enough inefficiency, pig-headedness and laziness in non union companies and situations to conclude it's universal.

Also remember the market will see that talent chases money, that's true of blue collar life as well as white collar you know. So the most talented blue collar workers will naturally gravitate to union work. But if you can do your business with the less talented that's aces with me.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Union workers do not destroy companies; poor managment and greedy investors unwilling to capitalize productivity increasing improvments do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies