Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 09:23 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,764,871 times

Advertisements

Yeledaf you and yer fancy book learnin i had to go look up yer fancy words lol
I think both Democrats & Republicans use race in different ways.
I dont think Republicans do it very often though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 09:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Republicans have transcended (long enough word) racism and are just discriminating on the basis of wealth as they always have.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:49 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Republicans have transcended (long enough word) racism and are just discriminating on the basis of wealth as they always have.
Really GregW! You need to stop the BS and learn something about the topic -

There are many, many, MANY "poor working stiffs" who are Republicans - and ACTIVE within the Republican party.

Just as there are many, many, MANY EXTREMELY WEALTHY people who are Democrats - who live in the Hampton's

Old 07-16-2008, 10:21 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
A nonsensical post. Have you looked at an electoral map by county? Democratic strongholds are typically in the richest urban areas, while the rest of the country looks almost like a sea of blue.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:23 AM

351 posts, read 336,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I think since Ronald Reagan's presidency, there has been a perception that conservatism=racism. The term "Reagan Democrat" was coined after Reagan's 1984 re-election, where he was able to capture 49 states. Who was the Reagan Democrat? The typecasted Reagan Democrat was a white, disaffected blue collar worker, that traditionally sided with Democrats when it came to economic issues. However, these people identified with Reagan more so than the Democrat party, which began lurching radically leftward since George McGovern. But I digress. What was the main grievance of these voters that made them re-align with Reagan? Government programs that were designed to help the unemployed, and aimed to level the playing field for minorities. By extension, this means taxation, to fund the aforementioned programs. Reagan, as a conservative, argued correctly that the federal government's role in these matters should be zero, or rather, be a matter of state and local jurisdiction. Reagan campaigned on reducing the size of government, and by extension, reducing levels of federal taxation. And on that measure, he succeeded, lowering marginal tax rates from 75 to 28 percent. This is a significant number. When these rate reductions were passed, the perception was that without these funds, entitlement programs would be slashed. Which ethnic groups benefit disproportionately from welfare, WIC, Section 8 housing, etc? So, by extension, blacks and Hispanics were (and still today) associate tax cuts and government reduction as code words for racism. The Charles Rangel quote always stuck with me. Back in 1994 during Newt Gingrich's Contract with America, Rangel countered this proposal, saying openly what many minorities were thinking to themselves: http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/i...asp?indid=2085
Go to second paragraph for the quote. Rangel even went so far as to liken this legislation with Hitler and Nazi Germany.

So there you have it. To me, this remains the biggest topic when it comes to elections, demographics, and politics. Namely, 'who gets what'. The perception is that Republicans want to lower taxation, while Democrats want to heighten it. And there are implicit and explicit ramifications to these propostals, and who they favor.
All true. The Dems also like to re-write history. Did you ever hear Al Gore say he voted agianst every civil rights bill that came to the senate floor while he was running for president? Did the media bring it up? No they didn't. Liberals just want to try to wipe this all out of our history books. They hate the fact that they founded and still run the KKK. Republicans are not allowed to be members as stated in the KKK by laws. That's okay dems keep spreading your propaganda your democratic lead house has an approval rating of 9%.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:25 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ew3074 View Post
I am Asian, and I consider myself liberal for various reasons. But how come some people accuse republicans like that? I had lived in Sacramento area for a couple of years. The county I lived is a republican stronghold, but people were nice to me and I did not feel I was treated differently. Any ideas?
I don't think all republicans are racist, I do however think that those who are racist seem to share more republican ideals than they do democrat ideals.

In short I think it's most racists just happen to be republican minded. Not so much because republicanism breeds racism.

But if you want to see some racism try living in one of the red states like idaho, utah or texass. You'll find racism there. Not on every corner but it will be there.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:32 AM

218 posts, read 437,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
I don't think all republicans are racist, I do however think that those who are racist seem to share more republican ideals than they do democrat ideals.

In short I think it's most racists just happen to be republican minded. Not so much because republicanism breeds racism.

But if you want to see some racism try living in one of the red states like idaho, utah or texass. You'll find racism there. Not on every corner but it will be there.
Cleatis, this post falls under the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. There obviously is some alignment in terms of policy choices between racists and the Republican platform (e.g., affirmative action). For example, it seems unlikely that any racist would vote for a party that has, in its platform, racial preferences for blacks, or pushes homosexual marriage.

And it's also sad but true that the so-called "Southern Strategy" cemented the image that the GOP were racists.

Also, it's silly to say that if you go to "red" areas (e.g., Idaho), you will find racists. Of course you will; you'll also find them in "blue" areas. I lived 20 years in the SF bay area, and despite being considered "tolerant," San Francisco is one of the most segregated cities where it counts - schools, churches, other places where people can "choose" who their cohorts are. Also, take a look some time at the city of Boston, and how many "liberals" there send their kids to private schools.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:34 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,466,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal512 View Post
You need to get yourself a history book and do some cramming. You have a lot of learning to do. Lincoln was a member of the Whig party which became the Republican Party and while the civil war was fought over taxes most Americans believe it started over slavery. Regardless the slaves were freed by the Republicans. Republicans were for the 14th/15th amendments giving freed slaves/black men the right to vote. Many Republicans moved from the north to the south to aid the freed slaves. The Democrat's could not allow slaves to vote and so the Ku Klux Klan was formed and they terrorized and killed blacks and white Republican supporters alike. After Lincoln was assassinated Andrew Johnson a Democrat became President. He vetoed all attempts to extend the Freemen's Bureau "The bureau was designed to protect the interests of former slaves. included helping them to find new employment improve educational and health facilities. the bureau spent $17,000,000 establishing 4,000 schools, 100 hospitals and providing homes and food for former slaves."
He also vetoed the Civil Rights Bill of 1866. Andrew Johnson was the first president to be impeached and Clinton was of course the second. Not a single Democrat in the house or senate voted for the 14th amendment the reason the 15th amendment had to give black men the right to vote.
"Until 1935, every black federal legislator was Republican, and it was Republicans who established Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday as a national holiday, and named the first black national-security adviser, secretary of state.
Current Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice has said: "The first Republican I knew was my father, and he is still the Republican I most admire. He joined our party because the Democrats in Jim Crow Alabama of 1952 would not register him to vote. The Republicans did. My father has never forgotten that day, and neither have I."
The largest Klan rally to ever take place was at the 1924 Democratic National Convention. That year the Democrats celebrated with a cross burning. The 1964 Civil Rights Act was held up by and voted against by 22 senate democrats including Al Gore, but still passed thanks to the Republicans. A little known fact of history involves the heavy opposition to the civil rights movement by several prominent Democrats. Similar historical neglect is given to the important role Republicans played in supporting the civil rights movement. A calculation of 26 major civil rights votes from 1933 through the 1960's civil rights era shows that Republicans favored civil rights in approximately 96% of the votes, whereas the Democrats opposed them in 80% of the votes! These facts are often intentionally overlooked by the left wing Democrats for obvious reasons. In some cases, the Democrats have told flat out lies about their shameful record during the civil rights movement.
Supporting your democratic candidate is one thing lying about history is another. Stop the lies and educate yourself. Al Gore has voted against every civil rights bill that came to the senate floor. Republicans freed the slaves and have continued to support civil rights with a voting record of 96%. I believe we can all see that dems were founded on racism and are still promoting racism today. Sorry for the long post but I am sick of the lies.
Gateway Pundit: Dear Democrats-- A Letter From Lt. Colonel Frances Rice
KKK's 1st targets were <I>Republicans</i>
Ku Klux Klan
The Democrat Party’s Long and Shameful History of Bigotry and Racism
I can't seem to rep you but your post was interesting... I liked the quote by Condoleeza - that in itself speaks volumes.

Every time I hear racism and Republicans used in the same sentence, I just roll my eyes and attribute it to ignorance. Maybe it's easier for people to not take the time to understand what the parties represent and fall back on generalizations.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:42 AM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post

I grew up in Miami a highly inter-racial city and I can tell you for a fact that blacks and latins along with whites are racist.Racism and hate is not exclusive to whites.

I have travelled through the north East and experienced alot of hostility from blacks in DC and witnessed blatent racism from whites to others in NYC.Racism is not exclusive to southern whites............

Racism is not exclusive to whites and Republicans and anybody who belongs to the Democratic party for "tolerance" is limiting and fooling themselves.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:29 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,826,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal512 View Post
You need to get yourself a history book and do some cramming. You have a lot of learning to do. Lincoln was a member of the Whig party which became the Republican Party and while the civil war was fought over taxes most Americans believe it started over slavery. Regardless the slaves were freed by the Republicans. Republicans were for the 14th/15th amendments giving freed slaves/black men the right to vote. Many Republicans moved from the north to the south to aid the freed slaves. The Democrat's could not allow slaves to vote and so the Ku Klux Klan was formed and they terrorized and killed blacks and white Republican supporters alike. After Lincoln was assassinated Andrew Johnson a Democrat became President. He vetoed all attempts to extend the Freemen's Bureau "The bureau was designed to protect the interests of former slaves. included helping them to find new employment improve educational and health facilities. the bureau spent $17,000,000 establishing 4,000 schools, 100 hospitals and providing homes and food for former slaves."
He also vetoed the Civil Rights Bill of 1866. Andrew Johnson was the first president to be impeached and Clinton was of course the second. Not a single Democrat in the house or senate voted for the 14th amendment the reason the 15th amendment had to give black men the right to vote.
"Until 1935, every black federal legislator was Republican, and it was Republicans who established Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday as a national holiday, and named the first black national-security adviser, secretary of state.
Current Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice has said: "The first Republican I knew was my father, and he is still the Republican I most admire. He joined our party because the Democrats in Jim Crow Alabama of 1952 would not register him to vote. The Republicans did. My father has never forgotten that day, and neither have I."
The largest Klan rally to ever take place was at the 1924 Democratic National Convention. That year the Democrats celebrated with a cross burning. The 1964 Civil Rights Act was held up by and voted against by 22 senate democrats including Al Gore, but still passed thanks to the Republicans. A little known fact of history involves the heavy opposition to the civil rights movement by several prominent Democrats. Similar historical neglect is given to the important role Republicans played in supporting the civil rights movement. A calculation of 26 major civil rights votes from 1933 through the 1960's civil rights era shows that Republicans favored civil rights in approximately 96% of the votes, whereas the Democrats opposed them in 80% of the votes! These facts are often intentionally overlooked by the left wing Democrats for obvious reasons. In some cases, the Democrats have told flat out lies about their shameful record during the civil rights movement.
Supporting your democratic candidate is one thing lying about history is another. Stop the lies and educate yourself. Al Gore has voted against every civil rights bill that came to the senate floor. Republicans freed the slaves and have continued to support civil rights with a voting record of 96%. I believe we can all see that dems were founded on racism and are still promoting racism today. Sorry for the long post but I am sick of the lies.
Gateway Pundit: Dear Democrats-- A Letter From Lt. Colonel Frances Rice
KKK's 1st targets were <I>Republicans</i>
Ku Klux Klan
The Democrat Party’s Long and Shameful History of Bigotry and Racism

here we go again, many kkk democratswent to the republican party inthe 60's. and republicans always werent conservative. republicans also supported black code laws.

thats true kkk may have started democrats and they terrorized republicans but there was kkk republicans as well not as much tho.

are the democrats kkk today? its been the republicans who have supported racist policies of modern times.
-support of south african apartheid(president reagan, jesse helms
-anti mlk holiday(jesse helms, mccain

abe lincoln supported illinois black code laws as well.

as sean hannity says "america is forgiving" right lol so ask yoursel why did blacks switch from the republican party to the democrat party.

Quote:
Civil rights. . In the 60s the Democrats stood with Blacks. Southern Democrats who were opposed to integration did not like the direction of the party and slowly but surely left the Democratic Party and joined the Republican Party. Were there individual Republicans who believed that integration was inevitable? Were there individual Republicans who believed that segregation was an abomination? I think the answer is yes on both counts. Did the Republican party change their platform in 1964 and 1968 to appease Southern Whites? Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies