Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 08:54 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,645,342 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to start a thread to ask all you folks how you feel about the extreme misuse of our social security numbers. What started out as a retirement fund ID number has become basically a nation-wide ID number. The use of it is so out of control that you can't even get utilities without giving up that number. My question is, if my transaction has nothing to do with social security, then why do you need it. Is there some national database logging how much electricity I use or what movies I rent. Yes, I said movies, Blockbuster asked for my social security number and a credit card. The use of this number which at one time was so closely guarded by our parents and grandparents is now being used to track everything about us. What do you all think? I have posted some info. from a website which also provides other links for your investigation. Feedback is most welcome.

Quote:
History of SSN usage. When Social Security numbers were first issued in 1936, the federal government assured the public that use of the numbers would be limited to Social Security programs such as calculating retirement benefits. Today, however, the Social Security number (SSN) has become the de facto national identifier. (Read a history of the SSN at www.socialsecurity.gov/history/ssn/ssncards.html .)

Government agencies and private businesses use SSNs for a wide range of non-Social Security purposes — such as employee files, medical records, health insurance accounts, credit and banking accounts, university ID cards, utility accounts, and many more. The use of SSNs as both an identifier and an authenticator makes these numbers highly desirable to criminals, such as identity thieves. (Read, “Why SSNs Are Not Appropriate for Authentication,” www.privacyrights.org/ar/FTC-SSNworkshop-Speech.htm (broken link) .)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 08:59 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I just wanted to start a thread to ask all you folks how you feel about the extreme misuse of our social security numbers. What started out as a retirement fund ID number has become basically a nation-wide ID number. The use of it is so out of control that you can't even get utilities without giving up that number. My question is, if my transaction has nothing to do with social security, then why do you need it. Is there some national database logging how much electricity I use or what movies I rent. Yes, I said movies, Blockbuster asked for my social security number and a credit card. The use of this number which at one time was so closely guarded by our parents and grandparents is now being used to track everything about us. What do you all think? I have posted some info. from a website which also provides other links for your investigation. Feedback is most welcome.
The SS number is what differentiates one "John Smith" from the 500,000 other John Smiths. Anytime that they are going to check your credit or verify your ID, they will ask for it. I do not have a problem with it now because I have locked all my credit files anyway and nobody can pull my credit without me unlocking them.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:04 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,645,342 times
Yes, that is true. And since we are so dependent on the credit system now they have made it a necessary transaction. But the fact still remains that businesses ask for this info. that do not really need it. No one really needs it, because it was not meant for the purpose it is being used for. I have a state ID number like pretty much everyone else. That should be enough to get a movie card or electricity.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:04 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,164,996 times
On occasion, I have refused to give my SS number. In all cases, they said that it was optional - amazing.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
I figured that SS# would be used as a national ID number when I was issued mine back in the day. I did not like it then and I do not like it now. I just renewed my drivers license and checked the box that told the MVD not to put my SS# on my New Hampshire drivers license.

I really object to some plainclothes cop coming up to me and asking for my papers.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:59 AM

12 posts, read 33,296 times
Default It's worse with Real ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I figured that SS# would be used as a national ID number when I was issued mine back in the day. I did not like it then and I do not like it now. I just renewed my drivers license and checked the box that told the MVD not to put my SS# on my New Hampshire drivers license.

I really object to some plainclothes cop coming up to me and asking for my papers.
More disturbing is the Real ID Act passed by Congress in 2005. I have written the correlation between SSN abuse and the can of worms Real ID poses. My third and newest, just published nonfiction book (now available on Amazon.com) "Nothing You Can Possess" includes coverage of this topic. Please feel free to read my treatise on this issue of SSN abuse(taken directly from my book)

Last edited by Global Friend; 07-17-2008 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: Link doesn't post correctly

Old 07-17-2008, 08:46 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Inasmuch as I do not have a Social Security number, I don't give it out.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:21 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,412,401 times
Quote:
What started out as a retirement fund ID number has become basically a nation-wide ID number...
Well, you have to understand: Because old idiots are more needy than you, you should suffer the hardship of identity theft and whatever other evils befall you... that makes it even. Old idiots suffer as part of existence. It's only fair that you suffer some and they're given a little easier life.

Your quotes are perfect examples of why you can't believe that government.

Regarding telling the difference between all the John Smiths... Derrr yeah, because a state ID isn't adequate for that because the state routinely issues multiple ID's with the same number to people with the same name...

Old 07-17-2008, 10:16 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times
I had to laugh at the Blockbuster referenece in the OP. I'd have told them to shove it up their ass.

I mean, it's not like there's no other place to rent a video...

Old 07-17-2008, 10:54 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,947,199 times
Quote:
They don't, you can refuse, yet if it is a private business they can also refuse to do business with you as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies