Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 10:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times

Advertisements

Welfare is only unconstitutional when applied to providing basic food and shelter for poor people. It is perfectly constitutional when applied to providing cost-plus contracts to the military industrial complex and Blackwater mercenaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 10:49 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,412,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsburg View Post
The Constitution doesn't explicitly ban welfare, and since there are laws for it, it's ok.
If it's not in the Constitution, then it's unconstitutional for the Fed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
The founding fathers had slaves to work for them.
Yeah, Ben Franklin was crazy into slaves... When he wasn't promoting abolition... Read more; talk less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
UBJ... sad thing is that we have no choice.. we cut them off, they resort to crime.
Build bigger prisons and better schools.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:57 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,494,717 times
Thomas Jefferson, who wrote that "all men are created equal," owned over 600 slaves in his lifetime.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Thomas Jefferson, who wrote that "all men are created equal," owned over 600 slaves in his lifetime.
I knnnnoooowwwwww, silly! That means that "some" of the Founding Fathers owned slaves... not "the" Founding Fathers as if universal.

Jefferson's phrasing means nothing to his possession of slaves. All men are created equal... and blacks were the losers in a natural war. It was the best of times... it was the worst of times... slavery was considered acceptable by many and the slaves didn't do enough to get themselves out of it. When there is war, you fight or lose. They lost.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:05 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,494,717 times
All men are not created equal, they are equal under the law.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
All men are not created equal, they are equal under the law.
Context. Think... context.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:16 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsburg View Post
The Constitution doesn't explicitly ban welfare, and since there are laws for it, it's ok.
The Constitution also doesn't grant anybody the right to receive welfare. Sure, promoting the general welfare is Constitutional, but that is completely separate from the public assistance definition of welfare, which is what this topic is about.

Providing temporary assistance for those who are struggling is fine. However, the problem is that it has been allowed to be made into a permanent form of income for many people. There are numerous people who are basically baby making machines, and keep collecting checks from Uncle Sam. That's my money & yours to support these promiscuous individuals who don't have enough sense to use birth control. There is no Constitutional right to breed, and there's no Constitutional right to live on public assistance.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:41 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
seems to me government has progressed into an institution set up mainly to sustain itself.
If we really wanted to both keep government spending down and "help' the poor, why not just send each family a check for about $30,000 a year(Betting it costs more than that to administrate the programs designed to keep them poor)

Oooops...that wasn't the question.

Created equal in the right to pursuit life, liberty and happiness.
Not to assure any of the above,is my take on it.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:57 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Welfare is only unconstitutional when applied to providing basic food and shelter for poor people. It is perfectly constitutional when applied to providing cost-plus contracts to the military industrial complex and Blackwater mercenaries.

This was in my op:

These is right outta our Constitution, so if we can keep this apolitical(Yeah right, I wish) and answer my question objectively I'd really appreciate it and it would speak volumes about our civility. So what say you?

Everyone chose to honor and respect my request: everyone save one, you. Way to make everything always political. Good job!

Old 07-15-2008, 04:36 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,542,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
The Constitution also doesn't grant anybody the right to receive welfare. Sure, promoting the general welfare is Constitutional, but that is completely separate from the public assistance definition of welfare, which is what this topic is about.

Providing temporary assistance for those who are struggling is fine. However, the problem is that it has been allowed to be made into a permanent form of income for many people. There are numerous people who are basically baby making machines, and keep collecting checks from Uncle Sam. That's my money & yours to support these promiscuous individuals who don't have enough sense to use birth control. There is no Constitutional right to breed, and there's no Constitutional right to live on public assistance.
Where would all the non-profit and social service agencies who thrive on this population be if we were to ensure that baby making machines would cease to exist?? Come on now-you must know that America needs these poor populations to justify the grant money for their livlihood. Just another way to make money off of people who are less fortunate and for one who is in the field, believe me they are not interested in losing their paycheck. May the unfortunate populations continue to exist!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies