Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 07:40 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

There was a big stink a while back about Move On calling General Petraeus, "General Betray Us".

A number of claims were made about him being unfit and generally bad.

So, in browsing the news recently I noticed he was promoted and confirmed by the senate (Vote 95-2).

Basically, this rather puzzled me a bit. I mean if the guy was bad, how did he get confirmed by this margin? If he wasn't bad, does this mean that Move On was generally going after him for political gain?

Can anyone out there that is a Move On supporter explain to me what happened here? Frankly, on the surface this makes Move On look like an outfit that will try to smear US military personnel for political gain and blame them for the incompetencies of the politicians that order them around.

PLEASE, no evil name calling and unless you can specifically addressing the point above please refrain. Basically, I don't want some "godless commie democrats or evil warmongering republican" comments.

Bottom line, senate dems seem to think move on is full of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 09:08 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Bottom line, senate dems seem to think move on is full of it?
Until they need money.

"We bought it. We own it. And we're going to take it back." Those are the now infamous words spoken by MoveOn.org founder Eli Pariser when talking about the Democrat Party after the 2004 elections. "We own it." That message was clear when Senate Democrats objected on the floor of the Senate to a resolution to denounce the despicable ad calling Gen. Petraeus a traitor. Make no mistake MoveOn.org owns the Democrat Party.

Will Democrats Return MoveOn.org Money? | Human Events | Find Articles at BNET

Old 07-15-2008, 09:11 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
moveon.org is a joke of an organization. that is why they have less members than the NRA for crying out loud.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
moveon.org is a joke of an organization. that is why they have less members than the NRA for crying out loud.
The NRA is one of the true giants in American politics, behind AARP of course but still one that is very powerful. (Ask Daschle just how powerful).

I'm not sure what that means about moveon.org but I've seen their adds, I've heard of them...they seem fairly big to me.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:09 AM

they have 3,000,000 members. that is less than 1% of american people. the only reason you have heard of them is because they have funding by extremist nut jobs. they also hire hollywood actors to do commercials for them. sad, I know.

Quote:
The NRA is one of the true giants in American politics, behind AARP of course but still one that is very powerful. (Ask Daschle just how powerful).

I'm not sure what that means about moveon.org but I've seen their adds, I've heard of them...they seem fairly big to me.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Until they need money.

"We bought it. We own it. And we're going to take it back." Those are the now infamous words spoken by MoveOn.org founder Eli Pariser when talking about the Democrat Party after the 2004 elections. "We own it." That message was clear when Senate Democrats objected on the floor of the Senate to a resolution to denounce the despicable ad calling Gen. Petraeus a traitor. Make no mistake MoveOn.org owns the Democrat Party.

Will Democrats Return MoveOn.org Money? | Human Events | Find Articles at BNET
Ok, so this is like the Roberts confirmation hearing to the Supreme court. My wife (registered Democrat) got tons of mailings asking for donations to stop him because he'd kill Roe v. Wade and was the anti-christ blah blah....then the Senate approved him by some ridiculous landslide like Petraues.

I guess its just political posturing to raise money. (Republicans do it too)

So with that said, if you give money to moveon (or a similar republican cause) do you feel you have been "taken" by the people that ask for your donations and then give your cash to people that ignore those positions?

Old 07-15-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
they have 3,000,000 members. that is less than 1% of american people. the only reason you have heard of them is because they have funding by extremist nut jobs. they also hire hollywood actors to do commercials for them. sad, I know.
Right or wrong, they are incredibly influential in American politics. Generally this is because they have strong grass-roots efforts and are issues oriented and not a slave to any one political party.

Additionally, they have 6 times the membership of NAACP.

If your hatred for the NRA prevents you from even discussing their role (right or wrong) in US politics then perhaps you should just take deep breaths or skip the topic.

You must live on the coast in an urban center if you don't understand the power the NRA has.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:18 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Ok, so this is like the Roberts confirmation hearing to the Supreme court. My wife (registered Democrat) got tons of mailings asking for donations to stop him because he'd kill Roe v. Wade and was the anti-christ blah blah....then the Senate approved him by some ridiculous landslide like Petraues.

I guess its just political posturing to raise money. (Republicans do it too)

So with that said, if you give money to moveon (or a similar republican cause) do you feel you have been "taken" by the people that ask for your donations and then give your cash to people that ignore those positions?
Well --- Roberts made monkeys out of the Dems in the Senate. They HAD to confirm him, since he was obviously the smartest man in the room (and probably the city). What were they going to do? Argue that he was too intelligent to be on the SCOTUS?

Personally, I never contribute to special interest groups (with the sole exception of The Nature Conservancy, which is more of a land-trust organization):

http://www.nature.org/aboutus/howwework/?src=t2

Anything that simply shovels money to politicians for them to spend as they wish is too much like voluntary taxation to me.

Last edited by Yeledaf; 07-15-2008 at 10:29 AM..

Old 07-15-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Well --- Roberts made monkeys out of the Dems in the Senate. They HAD to confirm him, since he was obviously the smartest man in the room (and probably the city). What were they going to do? Argue that he was too intelligent to be on the SCOTUS?

Personally, I never contribute to special interest groups (with the sole exception of The Nature Conservancy, which is more of a land-trust organization). Anything that simply shovels money to politicians for them to spend as they wish is too much like voluntary taxation to me.
Agreed.

I'd like to hear from someone that has given money to Move On how they feel about the 95-2 confirmation of Petraeus. Frankly, I'm thinkting now that you got milked.

Notice, I'm not saying right or wrong...I'm just saying that the politicians that got your money haven't ended the war or opposed Petraeus promotion etc.
(The exact same thing can be true for some of the Republican PAC's)

Old 07-15-2008, 10:39 AM

your credibility with me just sailed right out the window. moveon is not a slave to a political party? I have heard my share of absurd things on these forums, but that just might take the cake.

Quote:
Right or wrong, they are incredibly influential in American politics. Generally this is because they have strong grass-roots efforts and are issues oriented and not a slave to any one political party.

Additionally, they have 6 times the membership of NAACP.

If your hatred for the NRA prevents you from even discussing their role (right or wrong) in US politics then perhaps you should just take deep breaths or skip the topic.

You must live on the coast in an urban center if you don't understand the power the NRA has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies